Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Just wordering if anyone has ideas or info

2014 ford fiesta st right side has a ticking nouce but only with windows down and a wall or car next to me to bounce the sound back.is a constant tick when in motion but stops making noise when the car is still. Just had the bearing tie rod and rotors replaced maybe 5000 miles ago and wheel has no ply so I don't think it's the bearing again. Any ideas?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
2014 ford fiesta st right side has a ticking nouce but only with windows down and a wall or car next to me to bounce the sound back.is a constant tick when in motion but stops making noise when the car is still. Just had the bearing tie rod and rotors replaced maybe 5000 miles ago and wheel has no ply so I don't think it's the bearing again. Any ideas?
check your tires for a nail or screw. Had a ticking noise I could only hear when I was driving by stuff with my window down. Turned out to be a screw in the tire.

Dialcaliper

Besides coming to a stop, does it change/increase with the car’s speed, the engine’s speed or neither?

If it increases with car speed and you’re sure it’s coming from the exterior, common culprits are a CV joint going bad if it’s not the wheel bearing (which it sounds like you’ve checked)

Torn axle boots are an obvious red flag, but are not always there for a failing joint.

Last edited:
OP
S
Thread Starter #7
Besides coming to a stop, does it change/increase with the car’s speed, the engine’s speed or neither?

If it increases with car speed and you’re sure it’s coming from the exterior, common culprits are a CV joint going bad if it’s not the wheel bearing (which it sounds like you’ve checked)

Torn axle boots are an obvious red flag, but are not always there for a failing joint.
Did some research cv axle does seem like a likely culprit with how I tend to drive...(lesson learned) I'll have to check the it tomorrow after work hopefully she lasts until then

Dialcaliper

Did some research cv axle does seem like a likely culprit with how I tend to drive...(lesson learned) I'll have to check the it tomorrow after work hopefully she lasts until then
The fortunate thing about wheel bearings and CV axles is that if you’re just noticing a clicking noise, you’re a long way off from any sort of catastrophic failure unless you’re planning on launching the car or racing between now and repair. Usually the bearings in the CV will continue to function until they are making truly frightening noises that the entire neighborhood will hear, so if it is the problem, don’t sweat too much and repair it as soon as you are able.