Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

K&N Drop-in filter -- WOW!

So after they showed me my horrible, disgusting air filter when I was at the oil change place, I decided I would order a K&N drop-in filter off of Amazon.

I can hardly believe it, but I went from getting 26 MPG average to 30 MPG average! Guess it was time for a change...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Good call clean that filter every oil change
There is no need to clean a K&N air filter that much they actually recommend up to 50,000 miles on a panel air filter, and 100,000 miles on the cone filter. I don't go that far but K&N filters flow great when dirty, and that dirt actually helps provide extra filtration.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

me32

1000 Post Club
There is no need to clean a K&N air filter that much they actually recommend up to 50,000 miles on a panel air filter, and 100,000 miles on the cone filter. I don't go that far but K&N filters flow great when dirty, and that dirt actually helps provide extra filtration.

I dont agree at all. In fact with the oil on the filter makes it gets dirty fast and prevents air flow. If you drive in any area that not paved its worse. Part of keeping good flow and good mpg is to make sure you have a clean air filter. Cleaning every oil change makes sure your not blocking air flow. I did my oil changes every 10k miles and cleaned/swapped cobb filter every oil change. I was avg 33mpg on stage 2 tune on 91 octane.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I dont agree at all. In fact with the oil on the filter makes it gets dirty fast and prevents air flow. If you drive in any area that not paved its worse. Part of keeping good flow and good mpg is to make sure you have a clean air filter. Cleaning every oil change makes sure your not blocking air flow. I did my oil changes every 10k miles and cleaned/swapped cobb filter every oil change. I was avg 33mpg on stage 2 tune on 91 octane.
Hey got your opinion man, and I got mine. I've been using them for 14 years now. I trust their recommendation. I've never noticed an increase or decrease in mpg, I clean them when they look dirty. Probably every 30,000 miles or so.

me32

1000 Post Club
Hey got your opinion man, and I got mine. I've been using them for 14 years now. I trust their recommendation. I've never noticed an increase or decrease in mpg, I clean them when they look dirty. Probably every 30,000 miles or so.

Alot of people do what you do. Its one less thing they want to deal with. Ive been running them for 18 years. Being in the performance world most my life. Having good quality oil and oil filters, cleaning your air filter and changing or cleaning your fuel filter regularly along with changing plugs regularly have always proved to perform at optimal performance with longevity. I get most people buying a st are running cheaper budgets which means there more likely to use cheaper oil and filters, wait 50-100k to change a air filter, maybe never change the spark plugs and ofcourse on newer cars there is no longer a fuel filter to be able to replace or clean.

But if people are buying these for actual performance and longevity i suggest staying on top of maintaince more than what manufacturer says and not wait 50-100k to clean a air filter.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Alot of people do what you do. Its one less thing they want to deal with. Ive been running them for 18 years. Being in the performance world most my life. Having good quality oil and oil filters, cleaning your air filter and changing or cleaning your fuel filter regularly along with changing plugs regularly have always proved to perform at optimal performance with longevity. I get most people buying a st are running cheaper budgets which means there more likely to use cheaper oil and filters, wait 50-100k to change a air filter, maybe never change the spark plugs and ofcourse on newer cars there is no longer a fuel filter to be able to replace or clean.

But if people are buying these for actual performance and longevity i suggest staying on top of maintaince more than what manufacturer says and not wait 50-100k to clean a air filter.
I do very good oil every 5k tops. I would not put cheap oil in a lawnmower. Best gas I can get, plugs are to easy not to change.

me32

1000 Post Club
I do very good oil every 5k tops. I would not put cheap oil in a lawnmower. Best gas I can get, plugs are to easy not to change.

Sounds like you pretty much got it.

Quisp

1000 Post Club

Yeap its called "loading" I've found club soda and oxi clean powder works great for cleaning.