Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Keep your intake clean! Ford Fiesta ST Oil Catch Can R&D by Mishimoto

mishimoto1

So far this Fiesta ST has had an interesting life with Mishimoto. The very same day that we drove it off the lot, it was rolled into our development facility and fitted for its first modification: a prototype baffled catch can kit. Why did we chose to begin with this? From our experience with other EcoBoost equipped vehicles, we know how prone these engines are to blow-by and carbon buildup. Installing a catch can right away allows us to protect the engine of our new development vehicle and gives us more time for data collection as we work on developing additional Fiesta ST parts. Last, but certainly not least of all, we asked for your feedback and received an overwhelming response to create a Fiesta ST catch can (yes we do listen to you!).

One of our engineers fabricating some sweet Fiesta ST parts

Test Fitting

After pulling it into the shop and having a quick look, our engineers fabricated a bracket to hold two catch cans (one for the PCV and another for the CCV) so we could start gathering testing data.

Initial bracket prototype for testing data

Don?t mind the explosion of color in the engine bay; this rainbow hose configuration allowed our engineers to mock-up the hoses we need for the prototype kit.

Preliminary Test Results

After a few hundred miles, preliminary testing revealed that, like the Focus ST, the catch can on the PCV side had visibly much more contaminants trapped in it than the can on the CCV side. The PCV side already had a noticeable amount of accumulation while the CCV side only had a thin coating along the inside of the can as well as the baffle. Based on this data, we decided to proceed with a catch can for the PCV side. We have not ruled out the development of the CCV side catch can if the need arises.

PCV can on left, CCV can on right

Our engineers were actually surprised by the amount of contaminants the PCV side catch can collected in just a short time. Based on this we are expecting the OCC to be one of the most essential Fiesta ST parts we develop for this platform. Check out some shots of the catch can removal and its contents below.

Contents of the Fiesta ST catch can PCV side

Coming Up!

Our engineers are working on a new bracket which will move the Fiesta ST catch can closer to the front of the engine bay, making it easier to both access and show off. Another benefit of the new location? It will work with right hand drive models as well. We want to accommodate our friends across the pond! Stay tuned for more updates to come and in the meantime you can check out our engineering blog by clicking the link.

Thank you for reading!
-Sara

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Putting it closer to the front, also clears the way for guys with the 2J race intake :)

rexdriver85

It's funny to watch as these products get developed, almost a race at this point! Who will get our money first? [emoji106][emoji13]

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
[MENTION=1848]mishimoto[/MENTION] well I plan on keeping the FiST for many many many years. If you are offering a dual bracket that we can buy 2 setups one for PCV and one for CVV and the kits is the same OCC for both but the hose length needs to be cut to fit I would most definitely buy both. 2 is better than 1.

Based on your data that is my next purchase. So hurry up and take my money! [raceflag]

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I do have questions.
I do understand the need for a catch can system, of that there no debate.
However I am in California and a catch can is legal to add as long as the PCV system is not altered.

I cannot tell by your photos if the PCV system is altered.
I am not disputing if your system works or not as I am sure that it will.

If you do alter the PCV system will you get your Catch can system CARB approved?

Dave

me32

1000 Post Club
I do have questions.
However I am in California and a catch can is legal to add as long as the PCV system is not altered.

If you do alter the PCV system will you get your Catch can system CARB approved?

Dave
Great questions

I do have questions.

Dave
Dave, I'm not familiar with CA, but me thinks as long as the system remains "closed loop" and nothing vented to atmosphere, it's entirely legal. 'Course I'm probably wrong. [redface]

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Dave, I'm not familiar with CA, but me thinks as long as the system remains "closed loop" and nothing vented to atmosphere, it's entirely legal. 'Course I'm probably wrong. [redface]
Closed system yes.
However our local LEOs in an effort to stop street racing like to do spot checks.
If you are stopped, in some cases they ask you to open your hood.
If things don't look 100% stock, they like to write you for "Suspicion of Emissions Tampering".

Dave

Perfblue15

1000 Post Club
Wow this looks like a really nice piece, too bad the catch can basically sits where my 2j intake is. Looks like I'm going diy on this one.

Thanks for a very nice product though Mishimoto.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Closed system yes.
However our local LEOs in an effort to stop street racing like to do spot checks.
If you are stopped, in some cases they ask you to open your hood.
If things don't look 100% stock, they like to write you for "Suspicion of Emissions Tampering".

Dave
Can they tell if it's a Gallo 12 or 24? Lol. A little Fast and Furious humor.