Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Kia Threatens Ford Fiesta ST With Next-gen Rio!

Fiesta ST News

Staff Member

We are about a month away from the next Paris Motor Show and the event will be seeing various carmakers unveiling their future products as well as concepts. For Kia, they have confirmed their participation at the event and they will be utilizing their stage time to promote the upcoming Rio.

Well, it appears that Kia couldn?t hold their excitement for the future Rio any longer as they decided to release the official image of the car today. As how you can see above, the Rio hatchback looks really good and the sharp design promises a speedy performance.

It coincides with the spy shots of the Rio GT that has been testing its power out at the tracks all while in development. The Rio GT is expected to be the range topping trim and it will rely on a 1.6L turbocharged 4-cylinder engine with 220hp to offer.

But of course, the figures are unofficial and it will have to wait for the Rio?s unveiling for further confirmation. If Kia is able to pull off a high quality Rio GT in the near future, it will only spell trouble for the segment-leader, the Ford Fiesta ST.

Rhinopolis

I love my 2016 Sorento Ex V6. That engine and the build quality has been a pleasant surprise.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I know the vast majority on here would have NO qualms whatsoever about 'jumping ship' to that car, but I could not do that! [nono]

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
It could be a threat in the sense of the average consumer. But we with the mod bug will always have the upper hand. The market (especially tuning) just won't be there for Hyundai/Kia.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^You know something we do not?!?

Come on, SPILL IT! LOL

A FiRS would 'take care of' that little bugger MANY times over, but, it would be into another price point altogether. :(

PCA-1

^^^You know something we do not?!?

Come on, SPILL IT! LOL

A FiRS would 'take care of' that little bugger MANY times over, but, it would be into another price point altogether. :(
As I have lived in the land of the 4x108 since 10/02, I can tell you things have greatly changed for the better in recent years. This build up of performance cars by Ford is far from over. KIA can try, but they will be far, far behind and have little aftermarket.

Here is my hope. The standard ST, a 4 wheel drive ST with 225hp/tq, and a 3 door wide body RS 4 wheel drive, 275whp/wtq. Not so long ago I would not think this possible. Not any more.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Here is my hope. The standard ST, a 4 wheel drive ST with 225hp/tq, and a 3 door wide body RS 4 wheel drive, 275whp/wtq. Not so long ago I would not think this possible. Not any more.

Oh, IF ONLY you were correct in the above hopeful predictions, especially the bolded part! [driving] [thumb]

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
It said widely it will get a 180hp 1.6l ...turboed or N/a ....only kia knows....until then....[popcorn]

Test drove a Veloster Turbo automatic a few years back. I call it "the car of many surges". Flooring it from a standstill goes something like: thottle/trans lag, turbo lag, turbo surge, mushy shift surge into 2nd, turbo lag, turbo surge, shift mush to 3rd then things settle down. My wife really wanted that car until we drove it. Such a disappointment. I wouldn't touch a Hyundai turbo anything if you are into driving dynamics.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Mountune/Ford will simply give us 230 Hp in the next gen ST.....You can have it now from Mountune, MR230. Ford will simply cover it with the warranty. Upgrade the shocks, lighter wheels and wider tires will keep the next gen ST at the top. Still can't see an RS version......too small of a market. How many will pay almost $30k for a AWD Fiesta? Had my ST for three months and the most common thing I hear is....."I didn't know they made a Fiesta ST!" Had the oil changed and heard ...."I've read about these but never seen one!" I have not seen another on the streets....Focus ST's yes, fairly often, not the Fiesta ST. The Fiesta ST will remain as the entry level Performance Ford, it behoves Ford to keep it that way, spending the money to develop and certify an RS with all the agencies just would not make $$ sense. I think the bean counters will keep the ST what it is, a superb affordable canyon carver with surprising acceleration and easily upgraded with Ford products. With deep pockets the parts are available through Ford Performance to build a race engine for the ST for those with the desire to actually race one.

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
Mountune/Ford will simply give us 230 Hp in the next gen ST.....You can have it now from Mountune, MR230. Ford will simply cover it with the warranty. Upgrade the shocks, lighter wheels and wider tires will keep the next gen ST at the top. Still can't see an RS version......too small of a market. How many will pay almost $30k for a AWD Fiesta? Had my ST for three months and the most common thing I hear is....."I didn't know they made a Fiesta ST!" Had the oil changed and heard ...."I've read about these but never seen one!" I have not seen another on the streets....Focus ST's yes, fairly often, not the Fiesta ST. The Fiesta ST will remain as the entry level Performance Ford, it behoves Ford to keep it that way, spending the money to develop and certify an RS with all the agencies just would not make $$ sense. I think the bean counters will keep the ST what it is, a superb affordable canyon carver with surprising acceleration and easily upgraded with Ford products. With deep pockets the parts are available through Ford Performance to build a race engine for the ST for those with the desire to actually race one.
I would :p

The Rio GT that has been recently spotted testing looks nothing like that render. http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2016/08/kia-rio-gt-hot-hatch-spied-testing-a-sporty-front-end.html

The render above looks more like something based off a Veloster. The Veloster seems pretty popular around SoCal so it would seem strange to cannibalize it with a presumably lower-end Kia version of the same thing. I always thought Kia was the lower level brand slotting in below Hyundai?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Same here!

In fact, I would even consider selling my own body parts (IF anyone would ever want a 61 year old kidney LOL) in order to purchase one, if necessary. [biggrin]

BTW; the crash testing costs/bother for a LHD, 3 door version would probably be more of the drawback/reason for Ford not wanting to certify a FiRS, more so than the drive/power train certification costs. :(

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
If I were flush with money I would too......but as to the general public......probably not. I think all my mods are made other than a nice exhaust when I can. Possibly shocks.