Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Knocking sounds only on right* turns

As the title says, there's some knocking noise when I'm taking right turns and going over larger bumps/humps when the passenger side strut is unloaded. The noise seems like it's coming from the strut sometimes, but others it sounds like something is loose and banging about right between the shift knob and dashboard on the passenger side. Sometimes i can even feel it in the shifter knob. There is also occasionally some squeaking from that side as well. Seemed like everything was tight when I checked, no other parts seem loose. Given the location of the sound I've ruled out the strut bearings.

Only thing I can think of is the sway bar end links, I can move them by hand about their joints, but they seem pretty tight and there's no obvious free play. Again, given the location of where I'm hearing the sound I'm not so convinced it's the end link. I also haven't been able to find any other threads about failed end-links, are they a common failure on the FiST?.

edit: about 75k mi on the car. Daily drive and auto-x it, OEM everything when it comes to suspension

Thanks in advanced

Last edited:

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Id say for sure check your endlinks and strut top hats.

On my zx3 if the links were bad the swaybar would smack the floorpans/firewall due to how low i was.

Try and take the weight off the endlik and give it a jiggle. A bad top hat/steut bearing will knock around and be noisy witbout giving much in terms of play sometimes.

OP
The_Ryan
Thread Starter #4
Sounds like a cv joint. Does it happen at low speed like when parking or when cornering?
happens at low speed while turning while going over large bumps, not sure at higher speeds over larger bumps because I typically slow down for them. I can somewhat replicate the sound when the car is stopped and I have the wheels turned

OP
The_Ryan
Thread Starter #7
edited to mention it's a rattling noise and it's on right turns, when passenger side suspension is unloaded.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Could be a compressed top hat and bearing. That would clunk every time weight comes off and back on it. My only other guess is the mass damper thing hanging off the strut. Dunno whats all in that box.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Also check your passenger side mount. It may have puked its guts out or busted the bolt holding it.

OP
The_Ryan
Thread Starter #12
Could be a compressed top hat and bearing. That would clunk every time weight comes off and back on it. My only other guess is the mass damper thing hanging off the strut. Dunno whats all in that box.
that's what I'm thinking now. it's the only thing I can't see or truly check. now do I also replace the struts with coilovers while I am down there? šŸ¤”

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Depends on your budget. Stock top hats ( more specifically the upper strut bearing and strut mount need changing) are cheap. And the strut itself should be just fine if its not leaking or really bouncy/floaty. Id say if its less than 200 bucks and the struts/springs are still good. Id just replace. The top hats and keep going.

OP
The_Ryan
Thread Starter #15
So just replaced the strut mounts, noise is still there. links are good, motor mount is good. I have no idea what to do

OP
The_Ryan
Thread Starter #16
ball joint feels good, but looks like this IMG_20190803_150035.jpg

OP
The_Ryan
Thread Starter #17
noise turned out to be the exhaust banging about due to some stretched/worn exhaust mounts