Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Koni STR.T Shocks/Dampers

I had started a separate thread about this, but I exchanged a few emails with a Koni Technical Rep and thought it’d be a good idea to share the info I’d been given, for posterity.

Just for context, I’d been looking around at different strut/damper options in an attempt to keep the ride sporty and communicative, but take the hard edges off of big impacts. Ron, at Whoosh, has a jaw dropping price on this Koni STR.T (orange) dampers which, quite frankly have very mixed reviews on this very forum. So I wanted to look around at whoosh’s competition to check pricing (seriously Ron, how do you get those prices, I love you) and see if any additional sources had reviews aside from the single one on Whoosh’s website. Long story short, this led me to Koni’s website where they have some very weird specifications for which struts are and aren’t for the ST sub model...

So I sent an email for clarification because they have separate yellows for non-ST vs ST sub models but the same oranges listed for both non-ST and ST. I’ve attatched a screenshot of the Koni rep’s response, but essentially they imply that the only difference between ST and even a base S submodel’s dampers is the spring seats and otherwise everything is identical? I feel like that isn’t accurate... maybe someone with a bit more suspension experience can chime in and offer better insight. That said they also say that the oranges are essentially the same as the yellows on the softest setting.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thoughts: The Koni yellows are much smoother and more "comfortable" than the stock, so the overall high speed compression damping is more compliant. The rebound dampning is stiffer and also adjustable, but it better controls the spring in the rebound of course. For the stock springs, about 1 full turn out from the full stiff rebound up front and 1/8 turn out from full stiff in the rear seems to be about right, the standard Fiesta has a much softer stock spring.

No experience with the orange. For a smooth ride, the biggest/easiest difference may be wheel/tire combination which allows for more sidewall (16/15 diameter wheels with 50/55 respective aspect ratio).

I have Koni Oranges with stock springs - here was my one paragraph review: https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/a-comfortable-idiot.21808/#post-373531

In short, I think they smooth the ride out considerably without too much handling degradation on the road. I suspect you would notice some if you want to track the car, however, or if you drive at bonkers rather than spirited speeds on the road, It's horses for courses. Apart from added comfort, one of the differences I have noticed on real world, bumpy roads (of which we have plenty here in eastern PA) is that the rear end is less troubled by mid corner bumps and is less prone to skipping out on them - with the stock setup, I once found myself facing the concrete of an off ramp cattle chute when I hit a badly repaired expansion joint.

If I recall correctly, I think the negative reviews on here have concerned the Oranges in combination with lowered, non-stock springs. I also remember someone saying they put them on the back only with good results.

OP
DoomsdayMelody
Thread Starter #4
Thoughts: The Koni yellows are much smoother and more "comfortable" than the stock, so the overall high speed compression damping is more compliant. The rebound dampning is stiffer and also adjustable, but it better controls the spring in the rebound of course. For the stock springs, about 1 full turn out from the full stiff rebound up front and 1/8 turn out from full stiff in the rear seems to be about right, the standard Fiesta has a much softer stock spring.

No experience with the orange. For a smooth ride, the biggest/easiest difference may be wheel/tire combination which allows for more sidewall (16/15 diameter wheels with 50/55 respective aspect ratio).
Yeah I had looked into rims as well, but may not be able to afford the ones I would want due to a recent hit and run my car suffered.

I appreciate your input though, I feel the yellows would be a good investment if I took the car to a track setting but as it stands they’re currently about 2-3x the price of the oranges.

OP
DoomsdayMelody
Thread Starter #5
I have Koni Oranges with stock springs - here was my one paragraph review: https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/a-comfortable-idiot.21808/#post-373531

In short, I think they smooth the ride out considerably without too much handling degradation on the road. I suspect you would notice some if you want to track the car, however, or if you drive at bonkers rather than spirited speeds on the road, It's horses for courses. Apart from added comfort, one of the differences I have noticed on real world, bumpy roads (of which we have plenty here in eastern PA) is that the rear end is less troubled by mid corner bumps and is less prone to skipping out on them - with the stock setup, I once found myself facing the concrete of an off ramp cattle chute when I hit a badly repaired expansion joint.

If I recall correctly, I think the negative reviews on here have concerned the Oranges in combination with lowered, non-stock springs. I also remember someone saying they put them on the back only with good results.
Thank you for your clarification, your write up was pretty entertaining too.

Based on what you’ve said, I feel like these would suit me, I just want to make sure I can still lift a wheel and lift throttle oversteer when I need to lol.