• Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Krug Throws Parts at His Car: The Thread

Dpro

1000 Post Club
Yes, the hardest parts were removing and reinstalling the trans itself. Whole process took me about 14 hours but I am meticulous and did it on the ground. Would be much easier and faster with a lift and/or trans jack.
Ya there is a shop up in Simi that does this stuff all the time their street quote is $1200, my friend can get the hook up for $800. The LSD is definitely rising to the top of my list of mods even before a turbo upgrade. It just makes sense . I know Butterybunz was saying it is unescessary for a car used mainly on the street but damn it I want all the positives about it. Taking away torque steer is big! The minute I added tunes TQ steer reared its ugly head.

Dpro

1000 Post Club
Depends on the person, I suppose. It's worth it to me, but I love to wrench and making things better. All told it cost me about $900 in parts/chemicals and two days of my time.
Ya I am like the money is worth it. I am most likely going Wavetrac so I am going to have $1800-2k in. It seems expensive but when you add up the mods and what you wind up getting back car wise its a relative bargain. As you will be able to spank cars 2-3 times more costly.

koozy

2000 Post Club
Were things posted out of sequence? Because it looks like way the axle seals were removed are only an option with the gearbox removed from the car and split?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Krug

Krug

Thread Starter #105
Not entirely out of sequence, but I didn't remove the axle seals until the trans was out, yes. I didn't want to waste time with removing them under the car. If simply replacing the seals is your goal, then you're better served with a different method.

By the way, the B6 transaxle is not heavy at all, quite easy to manhandle.

Last edited:

koozy

2000 Post Club
Yeah, trying to see if there’s a tool/puller to remove the seals without risk of gouging the case. It not practical to split the case open to change seals.

OP
Krug

Krug

Thread Starter #107
I didn't need to split it to remove the seals. You shouldn't need to in any situation. I'll clarify - I used a punch to push in the outer lip of the seals from the sides so that it could be pulled/pried out. My case was split when I pulled the seals because that was when I decided to do it, not because that's HOW it needed to be done. Hook-type seal pullers just rip the seal instead of effectively pulling out.

Last edited:

koozy

2000 Post Club
BTW, nice job. I know how inconvenient it is to take photos and document the process.

Good to know you didn’t find it necessary to put the differential in the freezer prior to.

OP
Krug

Krug

Thread Starter #111
BTW, nice job. I know how inconvenient it is to take photos and document the process.
Thanks! I tried, but near the end I was getting pretty exhausted, so I didn't really bother with photos for most of the trans reinstall.

Good to know you didn’t find it necessary to put the differential in the freezer prior to.
Haha, yeah. Everything between removing the trans and putting it back in was so incredibly simple and easy that I actually thought that I was doing it wrong. The old ring gear bolts were easy to remove and the new ones were easy to torque down and give the final 90 degree rotation. Pressing the bearings on was also very easy. I double-checked everything, and there have been no issues so far, so I am confident. I'll continue to be cautious and be extra watchful for leaks and such for the next few weeks.

koozy

2000 Post Club
IIRC, the Ford Quaife install instructions made no mention of freezing. Some things get blown out of proportion by IMO, monkey wrench hacks. I find those videos entertaining and barbaric lol. Certainly not the elegant or sanitary way of doing things.

Last edited:

Dpro

1000 Post Club
IIRC, the Ford Quaife install instructions made no mention of freezing. Some things get blown out of proportion by IMO, monkey wrench hacks. I find those videos entertaining and barbaric lol. Certainly not the elegant or sanitary way of doing things.

Ya like how many real shops go and put diffs in a freezer before installing them. Lol 😆

OP
Krug

Krug

Thread Starter #114
A few days and some miles later, everything is holding up fantastically. No leaks, no grinding, no weird noises. By the way, everything that people have said about Ravenol MTF-2 is true. It's most noticeable on "cold shifts," the first few shifts after the car has been sitting for a while. They're as buttery smooth as you can imagine.

@koozy, here's a seal puller that should be able to yank axle seals out without tearing them or gouging the case: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FPYW4K/
61PJfHsi-+L._SL1500_.jpg

There are also slide hammer attachments that could work well, if you have the space to work with them.
41AOwI2DGnL._SL1001_.jpg

Last edited:

koozy

2000 Post Club
A few days and some miles later, everything is holding up fantastically. No leaks, no grinding, no weird noises. By the way, everything that people have said about Ravenol MTF-2 is true. It's most noticeable on "cold shifts," the first few shifts after the car has been sitting for a while. They're as buttery smooth as you can imagine.

@koozy, here's a seal puller that should be able to yank axle seals out without tearing them or gouging the case: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FPYW4K/
View attachment 19890

There are also slide hammer attachments that could work well, if you have the space to work with them.
View attachment 19892
Awesome news with you differential.

Great just what I need, another toy for the tool box. LOL.

OP
Krug

Krug

Thread Starter #116
Since my LSD takes care of torque steer, I decided to swap out the TTR uppers for Powerflex Race inserts and AWR 88a RMM for the Whoosh Motorsports Race RMM. I also installed the ARP PSMM bolt and lubed everything up with silicone grease. No photos, but overall, very pleased with this arrangement. I think I should have done this to begin with! Very smooth, and yet also very solid.

Inserts, bolt, and Whoosh RMM are all great. Highly recommended so far!

OP
Krug

Krug

Thread Starter #119
Where?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Use the "FIST5" coupon code on Whoosh to get the coolant hoses, clamps, and thermostat for $104.50 shipped.

MountuneUSA.com has the radiator for sale for $447.20 shipped when you use the "SPRING19" coupon code.

Of course, despite being listed as "In Stock," it remains to be seen whether or not the rad is on backorder lol. If I have to wait a bit, I won't be that mad. Just a little. ;)

EDIT: Since you seem to like putting blue parts on your car, if you're interested in blue coolant hoses you should see if a local dealership can snag you this for $63.88 (just ignore the generic image, they're blue I swear!): https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/2364-CHK-BLU

No clamps or thermostat with those blue hoses, though.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Coolnezzz For Sale 7