Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Safe aftermarket LED headlight bulb info, finds and discussion

Man I was set on Euro Projectors (DEPO) but how do they compare with halogens vs techmax minis in the OG reflector housings? I had TYC euro projectors on my last Fiesta ST - are the LEDs in the reflectors better, worse or the same as the projectors?

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #602
Man I was set on Euro Projectors (DEPO) but how do they compare with halogens vs techmax minis in the OG reflector housings? I had TYC euro projectors on my last Fiesta ST - are the LEDs in the reflectors better, worse or the same as the projectors?
Using Katana's in my Depo's absolutely annihilates anything possible with the reflectors/anything halogen... Did you use LED's in your TYC's? Projectors are definitely meant for them, you get such a clean cutoff!

Using Katana's in my Depo's absolutely annihilates anything possible with the reflectors/anything halogen... Did you use LED's in your TYC's? Projectors are definitely meant for them, you get such a clean cutoff!
I used some Phillips halogens in them and was super impressed with how bright they were and the cut off with even those.

But I was thinking I could go even cheaper with the reflectors and leds.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #604
I used some Phillips halogens in them and was super impressed with how bright they were and the cut off with even those.

But I was thinking I could go even cheaper with the reflectors and leds.
Then the TechMax aren't bad at all for $35, at least a significant improvement over halogen in the reflector... but I eventually went with the Depo's w/Katana's anyway and was even more impressed.
IMG_20190429_220748 (1).jpg

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #606
Guess I am getting projectors again. I miss them lol.
Exactly, I originally started this whole thread looking for the best LED's for the reflectors, and I'll always try to steer people to the right ones for that application, as there are good ones with very little glare now and are safer/provide better visibility than the poor halogen setup... but I just eventually decided I wanted my new ST to actually have modern headlights/LED DRL and not look like an economy car, that's everyone's own choice to make. But also, since I found that the Depo's were actually quite good quality for the money at $355 shipped through cars245.com it was WELL worth it!

Exactly, I originally started this whole thread looking for the best LED's for the reflectors, and I'll always try to steer people to the right ones for that application, as there are good ones with very little glare now and are safer/provide better visibility than the poor halogen setup... but I just eventually decided I wanted my new ST to actually have modern headlights/LED DRL and not look like an economy car, that's everyone's own choice to make. But also, since I found that the Depo's were actually quite good quality for the money at $355 shipped through cars245.com it was WELL worth it!
Yeah I originally had a white Fiesta ST and when we moved to KY from Atlanta I drive a lot at night on these unlit backroads and noticed that the headlights suck really bad unless you have highbeams on. I cant always leave those on... But the TYCs light up the road great after I got the adjustments sorted .. I traded that on a 10th gen civic si.. man those projectors suck (halogen) so bad compared to the Fiesta's euro projector. I think the reflector on the Fiesta is better than those lol. Anyways Ill just get me the depos here in a few months and repin the headlights to work with the LED strip DRLs.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #608
Yeah I originally had a white Fiesta ST and when we moved to KY from Atlanta I drive a lot at night on these unlit backroads and noticed that the headlights suck really bad unless you have highbeams on. I cant always leave those on... But the TYCs light up the road great after I got the adjustments sorted .. I traded that on a 10th gen civic si.. man those projectors suck (halogen) so bad compared to the Fiesta's euro projector. I think the reflector on the Fiesta is better than those lol. Anyways Ill just get me the depos here in a few months and repin the headlights to work with the LED strip DRLs.
That's a great idea! Now, you could also get the the TechMax for now, since they are only $35 and then switch them to the fog lights after you get the projectors. :)

That's a great idea! Now, you could also get the the TechMax for now, since they are only $35 and then switch them to the fog lights after you get the projectors. :)
So the reflectors and fogs use the same H11 bulb? I didnt know that. Unless the part about repinning - I was referring to the pin that lets you use the DRL led strip on the bottom of the euro projectors.
That would be nice to get brighter fogs though.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #610
So the reflectors and fogs use the same H11 bulb? I didnt know that. Unless the part about repinning - I was referring to the pin that lets you use the DRL led strip on the bottom of the euro projectors.
That would be nice to get brighter fogs though.
Yep, both fogs and reflector low beams take H11, only difference being you have all the room in the world to fit whatever size base bulbs in the fogs, so of course you can re-purpose the TechMax from reflector low beams to fogs when you eventually get the projectors, which take H7 and I highly, highly recommend the Katana at only ~$47 in H7 for projectors especially, but enjoy better visibility for now... and yep, you just move one pin in the wiring like the TYC for the LED marker brows in the Depo projectors.

Yep, both fogs and reflector low beams take H11, only difference being you have all the room in the world to fit whatever size base bulbs in the fogs, so of course you can re-purpose the TechMax from reflector low beams to fogs when you eventually get the projectors, which take H7 and I highly, highly recommend the Katana at only ~$47 in H7 for projectors especially, but enjoy better visibility for now... and yep, you just move one pin in the wiring like the TYC for the LED marker brows in the Depo projectors.
I bought the DEPO lights today after fighting my bank for about 30 minutes to LET me buy car parts overseas. LOL. Even once they knew it was me they still had to make sure the website was legit. I guess they do a good job in fraud but holy shit let me spend my money, haha.

For the eruo projectors...

What do I need to use H11s LEDs in the fogs other than the bulbs?
These and that is it? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C1LTQ9...colid=1FZM98UKKHCLH&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

And for the H7s in the low beams I just get these:
https://www.amazon.com/KATANA-Headl...&linkId=975d1a58ba33cf8536d495d61c24da21&th=1
And 75mm caps:
https://www.amazon.com/Auxbeam-Wate...m+dust+cap&qid=1564613386&s=automotive&sr=1-3

Ive found the thread finally detailing the repinning proceedure for the LED strip - Ive done this once already (on my last FiST) but I forgot.. Can I just repin the headlights now and reinstall my OEM headlights w/ no ill effects? Or should I just wait to repin when I get the new euro projectors?

Sorry for the dumb questions.. I am sure my answers are here somewhere. My free time is severely limited with a ~ 1 yr old and work. Will I need to trim anything on the low beam reflector or the new lamps to make the low beams or fogs work? Any extra parts like clips, etc?

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #613
I saw in another thread you said the TYC and DEPO lights have to be repinned differently?
Nope, not the case as others had claimed, and I had repeated wrongly at the time too but later clarified... both of those aftermarket brands mimic the Ford OEM Euro's so all 3 you just move the one wire the same.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #614
I bought the DEPO lights today after fighting my bank for about 30 minutes to LET me buy car parts overseas. LOL. Even once they knew it was me they still had to make sure the website was legit. I guess they do a good job in fraud but holy shit let me spend my money, haha.

For the eruo projectors...

What do I need to use H11s LEDs in the fogs other than the bulbs?
These and that is it? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C1LTQ9...colid=1FZM98UKKHCLH&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

And for the H7s in the low beams I just get these:
https://www.amazon.com/KATANA-Headl...&linkId=975d1a58ba33cf8536d495d61c24da21&th=1
And 75mm caps:
https://www.amazon.com/Auxbeam-Wate...m+dust+cap&qid=1564613386&s=automotive&sr=1-3

Ive found the thread finally detailing the repinning proceedure for the LED strip - Ive done this once already (on my last FiST) but I forgot.. Can I just repin the headlights now and reinstall my OEM headlights w/ no ill effects? Or should I just wait to repin when I get the new euro projectors?

Sorry for the dumb questions.. I am sure my answers are here somewhere. My free time is severely limited with a ~ 1 yr old and work. Will I need to trim anything on the low beam reflector or the new lamps to make the low beams or fogs work? Any extra parts like clips, etc?
Yes, to both bulbs and even enjoy the TechMax in your low beams for now if you want. The TechMax have a built in driver, so no long cords or modules, they are PERFECT for fogs later... But I run cap-less as the Katana, as well as most LED's actually, have an external module... but the Katana's just perform so well in projectors it's worth stashing the driver module somewhere, I'l take a pic later on how I did mine. Otherwise it's gonna be hard to fit all that and seal it off with caps unless you want to use the domed area itself to lay the module in but they will run really hot that way, so consider no cap at all or using stock caps and find a way to lay the module within the housing, maybe off to the high beam side as I've heard others do.... and no, do not move the pin now, the reflectors use a combo blinker and marker and that will screw that up and you may end up with no blinkers or no markers, not sure, but don't try it! LOL

Yes, to both bulbs and even enjoy the TechMax in your low beams for now if you want. The TechMax have a built in driver, so no long cords or modules, they are PERFECT for fogs later... But I run cap-less as the Katana, as well as most LED's actually, have an external module... but the Katana's just perform so well in projectors it's worth stashing the driver module somewhere, I'l take a pic later on how I did mine. Otherwise it's gonna be hard to fit all that and seal it off with caps unless you want to use the domed area itself to lay the module in but they will run really hot that way, so consider no cap at all or using stock caps and find a way to lay the module within the housing, maybe off to the high beam side as I've heard others do.... and no, do not move the pin now, the reflectors use a combo blinker and marker and that will screw that up and you may end up with no blinkers or no markers, not sure, but don't try it! LOL
LOL I feel like my heads about to explode with all this information.

Yeah I'd like to see a pic just so I can put together in my brain what is going on. So since the TechMax are mini H11 did you have to do anything to mod them to fit?

I could have sworn I had already re-pinned my harness when I found out my passenger side light was aligned all weird. And I thought I had swapped back to OEM lights but I might have just drove around with the misaligned lights, I cant remember, haha.

Appreciate your help!

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #616
The TechMax are a bit of a tight fit on the passenger side headlight but no, being mini has nothing to do with other than a marketing term saying that they are small to fit in more places... I just laid out the Katana wires/modules behind the headlights in whatever crevices/spots they will go in, not a big deal.... 15646321643632496539451580798186.jpg

15646322594793393682362652112529.jpg

Last edited:
No prob, let me know if you have any questions!
How are the bulbs supposed to orient? Right now the stalk piece is up/down with the leds themselves at 3/9 o'clock.

Are the actual leds supposed to be 12/6 o'clock? Or 3/9 o'clock? 15647759559766462197652340334225.jpg

Last edited:
OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #620
How are the bulbs supposed to orient? Right now the stalk piece is up/down with the leds themselves at 3/9 o'clock.

Are the actual leds supposed to be 12/6 o'clock? Or 3/9 o'clock?
Yep, you have it right, stalk 12/6, led's at 3/9... How's the output look?