Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Safe aftermarket LED headlight bulb info, finds and discussion

From what I understand, they should fit easily. Turn the original bulb about a third of a turn to free and press and turn in reverse to lock the new ones in. Passenger side may be a bit of a tight squeeze, if you aren't yet familiar, you should learn how to remove the headlight assemblies, they are only held on by three total screws on each side, one in the back two in front and they pop out, you may have to wiggle a bit. Once out, replacing the bulbs is super easy. Stock end caps may not fit back on, they aren't very important but if you want end caps then the domed ones mentioned on the first page are an option... But, please, share pics of the output, at least one like 20 feet from a garage door or wall and one of the output in the road, please disable the camera filters/extra settings. We've been trying to get some pics of those for a while!
Thank you!
According with your advice, the correct width of the new end caps is 80 mm?

So for those who don't know yet, I have finally gave up on being content with reflectors and bought replica Euro headlights and an HID kit for it. Less than $400 for all of it... Every time I see a stupid non-ST Focus with the LED DRL's it just pisses me off that Ford screwed us over without even an option on better headlights, to save money, while the base model Focus got them to try to compete better in that market... Anyway, I'm not going to be updating the first post as much any more as I simply won't be in the position in running LED's any longer, and not in reflectors for sure... Yes, the projectors will take LED's of course, but to match the output of $60 HID's it would take $90 Hikari premium and I'm not interested in running 6500k while the HID's are 5500k. But yes, when something new comes up that Blaise has tested that performs well, I'll keep you guys posted and update this thread, you just won't see me quite as active.
Which did you end up going with? Got a link?

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #523
Danbfree its two screws and one HORSESHIT screw in clip at the upper bumper/Radiator shroud! You know better Dan! I'm disappointed......Lighting Demi-god status revoked! Kidding...just giving you some Fecal! [party]
LOL, yeah, it's a shitty plastic screw thing where mine is gone now, but for most people it's still a screw left to remove....

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #524
Thank you!
According with your advice, the correct width of the new end caps is 80 mm?
Yup! That's it! And definitely looking forward to seeing your actual results... Not sure how much you read up on them/checked out BulbFacts, but likely you did to choose those, but one thing we are watching for is bulb/stalk design vs. possibly the reflectors having a straight up brightness limit before producing kaleidoscope effect. And with those Nineo Gen 2 being one of the brightest out there I'm super curious!

In other news, the Hikari Ultra went on flash sale yesterday from $90 down to $63 with additional 10% coupon code from BulbFacts. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to post it here, they are the cleanest output bulb we can get, it's only weakness is price, but at least we always have the TechMax to count on for being great for only $35. The Nineo Gen 2 at $45 are also an awesome buy with 10% off right now, once we have confirmed output is clean on the road then they be THE budget set to recommend.

As for me, well, still waiting for my Euro OEM replica projectors to ship, it's been almost 10 days since I ordered and they claimed only a 5-7 day handling time. I guess that's what I get for ordering from Latvia but at an awesome price... Anyway, since they take H7 bulbs in halogen, LED or HID I'll still likely be staying active here as a hobby and trying to provide some feedback and knowledge to hopefully help others make good buying decisions.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #525
Which did you end up going with? Got a link?
The ones available individually left and right for $141 on THIS page...

And went with DDM Tuning Premium HID's that are $60 on Amazon, BulbFacts top Amazon kit... there is one step up from there called their Ultra kit with even better ballasts that Blaise at BulbFacts didn't test personally but did recommend them personally but I had already ordered the Premiums. So the Ultra are $80 on DDM Tunings website, Amazon does not have them competitively priced at $120... Anyway, both headlight housings for $337 shipped and $60 for the HID kit has me at $397 right now, and Blaise sponsored me on, let's say a chunk, of the headlight cost for promoting his site on my own without being asked because he is legit independent in his reviews...

If the HID don't work out, I.E. wrong projector/too much glare, I will either retrofit HID projectors into the housing (value ones, not a projector snob like some) or even possibly switch back to LED's since that would be far less work involved but will need new ones in H7... If you look at the listing, those housings say they are for LED so now I'm kinda pissed, I could have just got the Hikari on flash sale yesterday for the same price as my HID kit, and the Hikari is the best LED for projectors that we know of, so gotta hope the projectors handle HID well and impress me at this point, LOL...

Just wanted to update my experience with my original purchase of the MAXGTRS I really like but one of the bulbs failed and now their sending me 2 new ones from China. Then I bought the TECHMAX and have had nothing but problems from them. The passenger side light is yellowish and not as bright or white as the drivers side and after I installed them everybody was flashing me and had to adjust them way down so Amazon is sending me a new set. I'm not going to do any more updating to my lights after this hopefully one of the new sets will be good enough for my old eyes and I'm moving onto my suspension. COOP

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #529
Just wanted to update my experience with my original purchase of the MAXGTRS I really like but one of the bulbs failed and now their sending me 2 new ones from China. Then I bought the TECHMAX and have had nothing but problems from them. The passenger side light is yellowish and not as bright or white as the drivers side and after I installed them everybody was flashing me and had to adjust them way down so Amazon is sending me a new set. I'm not going to do any more updating to my lights after this hopefully one of the new sets will be good enough for my old eyes and I'm moving onto my suspension. COOP
I'm surprised that you would be flashed with these identically designed sets, you DO have the stalk at 12/6 and the chips at 3/9 position? I was only flashed once, EVER, and that's because I was in dense fog in a left turn lane by someone oncoming traffic. Fog definitely creates scatter, so that will happen with any decently bright bulb and that creates glare... Then again, I've noticed more light/glare above the cutoff now than before, signs up ahead seem a little *too* well lit. So, even more reason I'm glad I'm switching to projectors for low beams. Fortunately I was lucky enough to have the owner of bulb facts sponsor half the cost for me otherwise it's not very cheap, $360 shipped for just replicas is not something most people want to pay, much less $800 for OEM Euro's... It's just crazy how Ford gives the rest of the world at least basic projectors for their FiST headlights as standard while not even making it an option here.

I'm surprised that you would be flashed with these identically designed sets, you DO have the stalk at 12/6 and the chips at 3/9 position? I was only flashed once, EVER, and that's because I was in dense fog in a left turn lane by someone oncoming traffic. Fog definitely creates scatter, so that will happen with any decently bright bulb and that creates glare... Then again, I've noticed more light/glare above the cutoff now than before, signs up ahead seem a little *too* well lit. So, even more reason I'm glad I'm switching to projectors for low beams. Fortunately I was lucky enough to have the owner of bulb facts sponsor half the cost for me otherwise it's not very cheap, $360 shipped for just replicas is not something most people want to pay, much less $800 for OEM Euro's... It's just crazy how Ford gives the rest of the world at least basic projectors for their FiST headlights as standard while not even making it an option here.
Definitely have them installed right as were the MAXGTRS that I like better but getting a replacement from Alexpress has been like pulling teeth, I finally cut both of the wires to the LED at the connector to get them to send me replacement, I only wanted 1 bulb but now their sending me 2. I still appreciate all your input into this thread but I'm passing on the new housings. Thanks danbfree. COOP

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #531
Definitely have them installed right as were the MAXGTRS that I like better but getting a replacement from Alexpress has been like pulling teeth, I finally cut both of the wires to the LED at the connector to get them to send me replacement, I only wanted 1 bulb but now their sending me 2. I still appreciate all your input into this thread but I'm passing on the new housings. Thanks danbfree. COOP
No, you definitely shouldn't have to buy new housings, just saying I guess I can see where you are coming from in some ways. The Hikari Ultra go on sale form time to time like I was saying earlier. They are very clearly the leader in cleanest output so if you decide you simply want the best output in the future then I say go for those. But good luck with the suspension Coop, there's tons of fun mods to do with our cars so I hope your find what works for you!

Guys, do you think those bulb will work properly without any issue? To match the nineo led lights? (I also have the specdtuning tail lights)

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #533

Guys, do you think those bulb will work properly without any issue? To match the nineo led lights? (I also have the specdtuning tail lights)
Sure, but there are some very highly rated ones on Amazon that actually have a full anti-hyperflash wiring resistor harness built in for only $35, HERE... So depends if you also have LED turn blinkers in your taillights, doens't matter which brand they are but if you DO have LED's for blinkers already in your taillights then most likely you will need anti-hyper flash front bulbs for sure.

Sure, but there are some very highly rated ones on Amazon that actually have a full anti-hyperflash wiring resistor harness built in for only $35, HERE... So depends if you also have LED turn blinkers in your taillights, doens't matter which brand they are but if you DO have LED's for blinkers already in your taillights then most likely you will need anti-hyper flash front bulbs for sure.
Thanks for your reply, however the point is that the bracket for the front turn signal works as a conector as well. So adding that wire will do impossible to close the headlight ?? (Still waiting for my Nineo’s)

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #535
Thanks for your reply, however the point is that the bracket for the front turn signal works as a conector as well. So adding that wire will do impossible to close the headlight ?? (Still waiting for my Nineo’s)
Good point, the way these work is the light has it's own seal but you have tuck a lot of cord away that wouldn't fit. SO, if you have LED already in the rear then you'd need resistors, if you are going to leave the rear incandescent then any of the cheap ones on Amazon would work, just like the ones you found for 1/3 the price
https://smile.amazon.com/EverBright...+amber+led&qid=1555988735&s=automotive&sr=1-2

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #536
Does anyone know what the best H1 LED highbeams for stock reflectors would be? I got the TechMax H1 and they won’t clip in because of the big module hanging off the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #538
Does anyone know what the best H1 LED highbeams for stock reflectors would be? I got the TechMax H1 and they won’t clip in because of the big module hanging off the back.
You have to go with mini H1 bulbs and also order bulb holders. You caught me right when I'm about to install mine. I just got $10 ones but the Aukee might fit too and are rated highly for high beams. Look for Ford H1 bulb holders in Amazon for $4

You have to go with mini H1 bulbs and also order bulb holders. You caught me right when I'm about to install mine. I just got $10 ones but the Aukee might fit too and are rated highly for high beams. Look for Ford H1 bulb holders in Amazon for $4
I’ve tried the TechMax H1 and they don’t work great, the beam is all crazy! Now I’ve the the Hikari (standard non-ultra) and they adjust, but they’re still a bit crazy. Anyone else have experience with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #540
I’ve tried the TechMax H1 and they don’t work great, the beam is all crazy! Now I’ve the the Hikari (standard non-ultra) and they adjust, but they’re still a bit crazy. Anyone else have experience with this?
So as far as high beams? I'm not expecting much, my $10 eBay mini ones work well, but honestly they do seem like mostly "super fogs" when engaged but DO light up ahead better as well so they work for me... I did at least notice that the LED chips were at least matched to the right placement length the factory halogen and I figure the TechMax would, looking at the pic of their H1's they look like they should be fine, did you twist them in the holder to get the beam you want? I guess the bottom-line is that for high beams you can't expect much with reflectors, I'm happy with the way my cheapies work.