Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

LED Switchback w/ Resistor included

Hey y'all!

Does anyone have any suggestions for some LED Switchback w/ Resistor included already? I know DD sells them but I don't want to spend $70 for them right now. Preferably something from Amazon?

Thanks!

OP
F
Thread Starter #3
@danbfree yeah that’s what I saw but just wanted to see if anyone had any experiences with any in particular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
@danbfree yeah that’s what I saw but just wanted to see if anyone had any experiences with any in particular.
I hear ya... Well, I can speak in general with our cars in lighting and using LED's, etc... From what I understand, you can upgrade to rear blinker LED's with no resistors if you keep front stock, but if you add front switchbacks in, you will need resistors in the front regardless if rear blinkers are upgraded to LED or not... We also don't have canbus, so definitely less chance of any issues at all with switchbacks that do have resistors built in.. it's also nice we can use any headlight bulbs we want too, of course, I'm the nerd who says you better research the the proper LED's for reflectors of course, but I digress... So yeah, THESE Syneticusa ones for $31 is what I would try first if I still had the factory reflectors, I bet it's "only" 4 stars cuz people with advanced canbus systems that it didn't work with and should be fine for us... And besides, Amazon has it's awesome return policy, easy to send back for not meeting expectations if you don't like them :)

I hear ya... Well, I can speak in general with our cars in lighting and using LED's, etc... From what I understand, you can upgrade to rear blinker LED's with no resistors if you keep front stock, but if you add front switchbacks in, you will need resistors in the front regardless if rear blinkers are upgraded to LED or not... We also don't have canbus, so definitely less chance of any issues at all with switchbacks that do have resistors built in.. it's also nice we can use any headlight bulbs we want too, of course, I'm the nerd who says you better research the the proper LED's for reflectors of course, but I digress... So yeah, THESE Syneticusa ones for $31 is what I would try first if I still had the factory reflectors, I bet it's "only" 4 stars cuz people with advanced canbus systems that it didn't work with and should be fine for us... And besides, Amazon has it's awesome return policy, easy to send back for not meeting expectations if you don't like them :)
Have your tried before? Pretty sure those leds will not fit since the led doesn’t have how to secure inside the headlights.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Have your tried before? Pretty sure those leds will not fit since the led doesn’t have how to secure inside the headlights.
Says they fit both standard and CK sockets, we should have one or the other for sure, sometimes they don't picture adapters included, if even needed...
"Compatible for both CK/SRCK and Standard socket." Pretty sure they twist right into place and reviews show them being used on other Fords that take a 3157 bulb there...

Edit: looks like with the rubber stopper mount, they just push right in and stay in, very simple!

OP
F
Thread Starter #7
Thanks! Good to know that we can upgrade the rear bulbs without any HB or resistor. If that’s the case, I’ll try to do the rear turning signal and the fronts at the same time. Maybe try one from Amazon with resistors. I’ll definitely check back if/when I do. I always appreciate your input @danbfree!

OP
F
Thread Starter #8
Alright, so attached are the links that I used to purchase. The Red LEDs w/ resistors for the rears work just fine. The fronts is where the issues lies because of the setup that the LED w/ resistors come compared to the socket. So it's LED+resistor+male plug. BUT the front turning signals have the socket/female plug as part of the rear cover. Issue is that the back cover needs to sit into the headlight because that's where it makes the electrical connection, where as the low beam socket has a rear electrical unit for it to work so you can run extra stuff if needed. This is confusing to explain but it'll make sense once you see the pics in the next post. That being said, I don't see how you can use an LED w/ resistor in the front. There's no way to connect it other that running an LED w/ no external resistor.

Now that poses the question, would having LED w/ resistors in the rear cancel the HB front front LEDs w/ no resistors?

Front Turn: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JGMCHGT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Rear Turn: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NF7NPB6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

According with your pictures is impossible to secure the OEM conector, so basically the headlight has an opening where moisture and water might enter? Looks like the lastfit option is a better deal.

OP
F
Thread Starter #11
Yes and no. So if you look at the last picture of the LEDs in the open box, if you look at the base of the LED bulb, it has a rubber grommet so it'll fit into the headlight socket relatively snug so moisture wouldn't get in. Also it being rubber and no rivets, it makes it universal. But the issue lies that the "tail-end", resistor and connector to the back cap that doubles as the connection point to the headlight, the back cap needs to connect to the headlight for it to work. That's where the electrical connection is made. I've returned the front switchbacks and ordered some LEDs w/o resistors. Hopefully the rear turning LED resistors will be enough to keep the circuit from HB-ing. I'll keep y'all updated. They'll be here Wednesday.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Alright, so attached are the links that I used to purchase. The Red LEDs w/ resistors for the rears work just fine. The fronts is where the issues lies because of the setup that the LED w/ resistors come compared to the socket. So it's LED+resistor+male plug. BUT the front turning signals have the socket/female plug as part of the rear cover. Issue is that the back cover needs to sit into the headlight because that's where it makes the electrical connection, where as the low beam socket has a rear electrical unit for it to work so you can run extra stuff if needed. This is confusing to explain but it'll make sense once you see the pics in the next post. That being said, I don't see how you can use an LED w/ resistor in the front. There's no way to connect it other that running an LED w/ no external resistor.

Now that poses the question, would having LED w/ resistors in the rear cancel the HB front front LEDs w/ no resistors?

Front Turn: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JGMCHGT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Rear Turn: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NF7NPB6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
So sorry I led you down the wrong path! Looks like they expect you cram all that stuff inside the housing and that ain't gonna happen!

Ones like THESE look worth trying for a buck less. Since we don't have CANBUS, there is little chance for hyper flash or you can send them back again, LOL.

Last edited:
OP
F
Thread Starter #13
Alright so my new switch back were supposed to come in yesterday but Amazon ran into some delays so I got them this afternoon. I posted the link to the ones I got below. They're nice and bright and switchback nicely. Start white and turn amber when the turning signal is activated as it should. Unfortunately, I do have HB :( I think I might just keep it as is with the new bulbs for now since I really like the look. I didn't take any pictures as it was difficult taking pictures of the headlights.

Conclusion, having resistors in the rears, don't make up for not having them in the front.

Link: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M9CXY2U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Alright so my new switch back were supposed to come in yesterday but Amazon ran into some delays so I got them this afternoon. I posted the link to the ones I got below. They're nice and bright and switchback nicely. Start white and turn amber when the turning signal is activated as it should. Unfortunately, I do have HB :( I think I might just keep it as is with the new bulbs for now since I really like the look. I didn't take any pictures as it was difficult taking pictures of the headlights.

Conclusion, having resistors in the rears, don't make up for not having them in the front.

Link: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M9CXY2U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yeah, you could have gotten those ones for $30 I linked you too that were the same design but did have resistors built in, but at least we figured out which exact ones people will need, and it's ones without the extra cabling and driver/resistor module, and instead ones that have a direct to socket connection... with resistors to prevent hyperflash.

OP
F
Thread Starter #15
Yeah, you could have gotten those ones for $30 I linked you too that were the same design but did have resistors built in, but at least we figured out which exact ones people will need, and it's ones without the extra cabling and driver/resistor module, and instead ones that have a direct to socket connection... with resistors to prevent hyperflash.
Yup! I might order another set with the resistors built-in and then return these. Honestly I order mine before you had linked those. No worries, I’ll keep you updated on what I do next lol

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Yup! I might order another set with the resistors built-in and then return these. Honestly I order mine before you had linked those. No worries, I’ll keep you updated on what I do next lol
Good luck man, and yeah, you should do that, then we would have a specific model we can recommend to others..

OP
F
Thread Starter #17
@danbfree question....do regular fiesta headlights fit the ST? One of the tabs on my passenger turning signal assembly broke so now the turning signal doesn’t work at all [emoji19] whoever made this headlight assembly is a moron. I might need to replace the whole headlight assembly because of 1 broken little plastic tab...

The rear cover of the turn signal doesn’t even stay on anymore. FML

Any links with cheap headlights, passenger only?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
@danbfree question....do regular fiesta headlights fit the ST? One of the tabs on my passenger turning signal assembly broke so now the turning signal doesn’t work at all [emoji19] whoever made this headlight assembly is a moron. I might need to replace the whole headlight assembly because of 1 broken little plastic tab...

The rear cover of the turn signal doesn’t even stay on anymore. FML

Any links with cheap headlights, passenger only?
Yeah, same headlights 100%, but not sure the difference between the different models, but one is around $115 and one is around $200-300+... you can always go with a Depo or TYC replica for under $100 new as well, but used should also work.