Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Less aggressive exhaust sound

Hi everyone,

I am looking to get a new exhaust. I have upgraded to a stage 3 intercooler, all of the hoses have been upgraded, I have the E30 Dizzy tune, and plenty of other things. I'm looking to get an exhaust that has a less aggressive sound. I want it to sound great but I don't want it too loud. What would you recommend?

sort of in the same boat actually. Still stock exhaust, gearing up to do some mods. Would like a better sound, but not the generally horrendous sound many of the aftermarket pipes make. Test drove a car with an MBRP on it - had to shout at the salesperson on the 3 miles drive and the resonance was so much it literally shook the seat at 3k rpm. No thanks...

Sam4

I'm finally comfortable (proud?!) with my MAPerf system. It's loud, it pops and backfires, it drones, could annoy the neighbors, but at the end of the day - what are you going to buy - Wagner from the local windshieldwiperjuice supply store? OEM gets a factory cut&sleeve for shipping - so ITS not even oe.

I have a 2 1/2 inch Cobb system. If you stay out of the throttle it stays quiet enough you won't irritate the neighbors or have a Police car following you just waiting for you to forget signalling a turn or lane change. Get on it and you'll sound like a real ripper ready for the race track. I'll also note the mods on mine are a Mountune Radiator, Intake, intercooler, and all the intercooler connection hoses. Concerning traction, the car is traction limited in first and second gears with the OEM Cat. One mod I would really like is the MP215 Tune but that option is no longer available.

I've got the out-of-production Ford Racing exhaust, which was a rebranded Borla. It's not offensive at all. Has a nice burble at idle, a little more aggressive than stock, but on the highway, nice and quiet.
Inside the car, it sounds like the stock exhaust with the kazoo Sound Symposer still hooked up.

Shoot, maybe I should have just left the stock exhaust and kazoo alone :)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Concerning traction, the car is traction limited in first and second gears with the OEM Cat. One mod I would really like is the MP215 Tune but that option is no longer available.
So you're stating that the factory catcon is solely what gives this car it's 'donkey kick' bottom end torque punch?!? [???:)] [???:)]

So you're stating that the factory catcon is solely what gives this car it's 'donkey kick' bottom end torque punch?!? [???:)] [???:)]
Nope, I am saying that the OEM Cat is NOT an impediment to power if you are using an OEM Turbo. If you look into the OEM Cat you will see a necked down section and assume that would limit power. In fact what that feature does is help build a Standing Vacuum wave at the exit for the turbocharger, which actually helps build pressure output of the turbo. Truth is that Ford used a very balanced approach with this engine and upsetting that balance can result degradation to the smoothness of the torque curve.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Nope, I am saying that the OEM Cat is NOT an impediment to power if you are using an OEM Turbo. If you look into the OEM Cat you will see a necked down section and assume that would limit power. In fact what that feature does is help build a Standing Vacuum wave at the exit for the turbocharger, which actually helps build pressure output of the turbo. Truth is that Ford used a very balanced approach with this engine and upsetting that balance can result degradation to the smoothness of the torque curve.
Or you end up like me with no torque below 4000 rpm lol

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
If you're already stock, it's hard for me to imagine anything aftermarket being quieter.
The stock exhaust is quite tame. Anything else will be louder, and probably a bit drone-y. I've done enough long, high-speed trips in the car to appreciate how easy it is on the ears.

The stock exhaust is quite tame. Anything else will be louder, and probably a bit drone-y. I've done enough long, high-speed trips in the car to appreciate how easy it is on the ears.
It can be helped with removing the sound symposer if quiet is what you want. I removed mine and highway engine induction noise came right down. Else I have had minor success with butyl sound dampening the trunk/spare wheel well in my 1.0 ecoboost. It reduced road noise and a little exhaust.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
My Thermal on the stock Turbo an downpipe was not drone-y at all. Oh and once I went with the mountune Sportcat and S280 it just got deeper sounding. Car sounds like business now, powerful. gets a lot of positive comments.😂

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
OK, got it!

I totally misunderstood what you were stating, and I 200% agree with what you explained above. [twothumb]

chadvder

I personally went with FSwerks exhaust that I purchased from a member here. In my opinion it's the quietest aftermarket exhaust, just a little louder than stock. I wanted something that wouldn't call
the attention from the cops, especially now that California sends you to the State Ref. for a loud exhaust. There's videos on youtube of the FSwerks exhaust so you can get an idea of how it would sound.
FSWERKS Stainless Steel Catback Sport Exhaust System - Ford Fiesta ST

I have found the mountune cat back to be pretty chill and deep toned, zero drone. That was with stock turbo/downpipe as well as S280/CPE EPA cat downpipe. Looks like it's out of production now, though.