Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Let's talk road noise

Is anyone experiencing excessive road noise from the rear wheels or any odd droning noises from the rear?

iso100

1000 Post Club
I just have gear noise from up front in gears 3-6.

OP
RDgolfer
Thread Starter #4
Ok, forget excessive road noise...how about rate your road noise from 1-10...with ten being the quietest...go!!!

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
I haven't experienced any excessive road noise in mine other than a few panel rattles and wind noise in the moonroof which is currently getting looked into.

I'd say road noise is a 2 on surfaces that aren't smooth blacktop or concrete. Here in Oregon they allow studded tires for cars...they chew up the roads something terrible....this rough surface produces a lot of road noise for the ST. On a smooth surface the ST is pretty well isolated from road and wind noise.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Ok, forget excessive road noise...how about rate your road noise from 1-10...with ten being the quietest...go!!!
Road noise could be a effect of the stiff summer tires on grooved concrete for me is the worst like a howler under my car then with hit some asphalt and it goes away.

OP
RDgolfer
Thread Starter #10
The noise I heard wasn't the tires or the road.....it is the fuel pump whining...at least I know what it is now...see new thread...and if nobody responds, then that means everyone is deaf but me, or I have an overly loud pump

Definitely quieter than my '11 MINI JCW hardtop was. That upright windscreen made for lots of wind noise to go along with exhaust and tire noise. There may be more tire noise in the ST depending on road surface, but it could just be more noticeable because there is less wind noise. I love the ST's sloped windscreen!

Road noise seems decent except at highway speeds it is very droney. Can't tell if this is the symposer or stock exhaust. Anyone else feel it is boomy/drony on the highway?

I actually enjoy the drone above 2300RPM, coming from the Volvo where it was damned quiet anywhere south of 4500RPM.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Stiff suspension and bushings transmit more vibrational energy into the chassis exciting areas that are in the same resonate zone creating a great deal of noise, mostly lower frequencies, simple physics.
Hard tires with little sidewall flex add to this.
Hatch cars are a resonate chamber.
Cabin vents in rear corners need to be there but allow a great deal or noise in.

I know how to cure this to a great deal without adding a ton of mass, some mass yes, not a great deal if done carefully, the nost used product will be an acoustical thermal foam, the thermal parts is a free addition taking load off the HVAC depending on the weather.

I need to find the best way to let you search for the most comprehensive and proven method guide on the net, with low weight, low cost, real world results used in tens of thousands of vehicles around the world, and not violate any rules on the forum here as I am now retired from that industry and just here to help my fellow FiST owners:)

When I get to doing my own car I will post up a vehicle specific thread on it with plenty of pics.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I am finishing up a lot of mods on the car right now, it will take a bit longer before I can get back working inside it but when I do I will take plenty of pics to post:)

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
I am finishing up a lot of mods on the car right now, it will take a bit longer before I can get back working inside it but when I do I will take plenty of pics to post:)
Rick, your build thread needs updating lol.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I agree,
Anyway I can have the one build thread but chapters in it?

Seriously, it would make it easier for members to find areas of their interest, in ways easier for me to keep updated, etc......never seen it done but have to ask:)