Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Limited Slip Diff Install

I am wanting to put the MFactory LSD into my FiST, but it is beyond what I can do in my garage. I have been trying to get someone local to give me a quote for the install and I can't find anyone who even wants to take on the job. There is one transmission shop an hour away that sent me this when I asked for a quote:

"Hi Don, This will be hard to estimate since we don't have experience with installing lsd's in ford fiestas and there is no labor guide for this particular job. A ball park guess would be $1500 + tax give or take a few hundred not including the differential itself, we don't have a supplier for that so you'd have to supply the diff. The service manual says to replace all transmission case bolts, it looks like the factory ring gear is riveted to the differential case so they would have to be removed and then you'd need ring gear bolts and will most likely need differential bearings, selective shims, fluid, also may want to replace some seals while its apart.
Thanks"

Does this sound right? Is it really that involved to change to an LSD from open if you aren't changing the final drive ratio? Are there instructions available anywhere that I could forward this guy? I live in Canada just over the US border in the Idaho Panhandle. If anyone knows someone who can do this job within 500 miles of Bonners Ferry, ID or Creston, BC, I'd appreciate contact information!!!
Any information will be appreciated and thanks in advance !!

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
That all sounds right. I was quoted $935 for labor when I quoted it with CP-E. That doesn’t include all the small parts needed as well as diff installation kit. It’s typically another $300 in parts plus the diff. Looking at ~$2k all in with labor.

I opted to buy a spare low mileage tranny for $800 to do it myself when I have time. Haven’t done it yet though so can’t speak to specifics..

Edit: I would get hooked up with any of the local Rallycross folks in your area (Facebook, SCCA, etc) and see who they are using. I feel like every local group has “a guy” that will do an LSD swap on FWD cars with tons of experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
There are lots of videos on YouTube. The Ford installation kit comes with a pair of axle seals, new ring gear bolts (bolts, not rivets), and a pair of diff. bearings. You will need a selection of shims to re-shim the diff. and fluid of your choice. I haven't hears of anyone replacing the case bolts.

OP
ywgbandit
Thread Starter #4
Sounds like a difficult job without a lift and trans jack. I would prefer to have someone with experience do the job. The transmission guy near me does good work, but someone with experience will know what parts he needs to have on hand. Last thing I want is to be waiting weeks for parts that he didn't know he would need!

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
There are lots of videos on YouTube. The Ford installation kit comes with a pair of axle seals, new ring gear bolts (bolts, not rivets), and a pair of diff. bearings. You will need a selection of shims to re-shim the diff. and fluid of your choice. I haven't hears of anyone replacing the case bolts.
My mechanic replaced the case bolts.. Those suckers are spendy.

I'd be willing to price a long way to get the job done right!
If you are up for a 8hr drive, Bickford Ford has a guy (named Buff) in Snohomish WA that has done mine and a couple other Fiestas.

OP
ywgbandit
Thread Starter #8
That all sounds right. I was quoted $935 for labor when I quoted it with CP-E. That doesn’t include all the small parts needed as well as diff installation kit. It’s typically another $300 in parts plus the diff. Looking at ~$2k all in with labor.

I opted to buy a spare low mileage tranny for $800 to do it myself when I have time. Haven’t done it yet though so can’t speak to specifics..

Edit: I would get hooked up with any of the local Rallycross folks in your area (Facebook, SCCA, etc) and see who they are using. I feel like every local group has “a guy” that will do an LSD swap on FWD cars with tons of experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where is CP-E located?

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
This sounds awfully high. They are asking you to pay for the time they're going to spend looking at YT videos to learn how to do it.

I am currently in the process of getting my tranny replaced/rebuilt and, "while I am there", I am going to have the clutch/flywheel replaced and a Wavetrac LSD is going in as well.

All - $1200. I had another shop quote me $1250. I'm going to the first one because I have had a relationship with the mechanic for 12 years, and while he is not actually familiar with the B6 tranny, he is thorough. And, he's not asking me to pay for his learning.

If you get the Ford kit and a diff, you *could* do it yourself, if you are willing to spend the time and have access to a lift and tools. Ben S has a very good blog about his tranny rebuild, and he was all in for $3k give or take (which included all the parts - diff, clutch, bearings, and specialty tools).

So - if DIY route is not something you would want to take (and I didn't), you should look for a better price. Ask for a recommendation here or perhaps attend a cars and coffee meet up.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Definitely too high. I had a race shop do mine and it was $1K, which is high. Others in Atlanta are paying $800 or less for labor. I bought the diff installation kit and MFactory LSD from Whoosh. If you need a clutch, now’s the time. TASCA is best for OEM.

Fusion Works

Kinda silly, there is a Ford issued instruction set for installing a LSD in the Fiesta Transmission.
https://www.fordracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets/FORDINSTSHTM-4026-FA.PDF

There is nothing in there about the DIFF being riveted on the ring gear like a VW. You don't need Ford Bolts, I used ARP bolts. You don't need to replace the transmission case bolts. That is something that makes little to no sense from Ford. Those are regular 8mm bolts that get torqued to 20ish lbft. There is no reason to replace them.

I understand not wanting to install it yourself, I also understand wanting to find another shop that is competent.

HBEcoBeaST

How much more labor is an LSD install vs doing the standard clutch and flywheel replacement? In super expensive southern California a reputable shop (modbargains) charges $750 labor for clutch replacement.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Most of the labor cost is in removing and reinstalling the tranny, I'd think. Replacing the clutch/flywheel should be relatively quick. Differential install is probably about 400-500 buck on top. So, here in Houston the trifecta (diff, clutch, flywheel) is $1200 - so the SoCal prices are in line, I would think. Now, this is not inclusive of any rebuild, naturally.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Kinda silly, there is a Ford issued instruction set for installing a LSD in the Fiesta Transmission.
https://www.fordracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets/FORDINSTSHTM-4026-FA.PDF

There is nothing in there about the DIFF being riveted on the ring gear like a VW. You don't need Ford Bolts, I used ARP bolts. You don't need to replace the transmission case bolts. That is something that makes little to no sense from Ford. Those are regular 8mm bolts that get torqued to 20ish lbft. There is no reason to replace them.

I understand not wanting to install it yourself, I also understand wanting to find another shop that is competent.
It's interesting that Ford doesn't say anything about shimming the diff....

OP
ywgbandit
Thread Starter #20
I would think that would be important seeing as it's supposed to have a certain amount of pre-load from what I've read, yet not a mention of it. That's pretty lame!