Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Logical upgrade from Fiesta ST?

I’ve had my ST for about 4 years and 50k miles. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it, but will be likely passing it on to my teenage son.

I’m considering replacing it with another fun to drive, practical, 4-doors and relatively inexpensive replacement. However, I would like a higher level of performance and a little more luxury.

I would buy used and want to stay around $30k.

I am considering the following:

civic type r (great performer, but juvenile looks)
Is350-f sport (luxury > sport)
Veloster type N (albeit 3 doors)
Accord Sport 2.0t (well rounded, but sport?)
Focus RS (not fan of outdated interior)

Thoughts?
Thanks

Last edited:
If you can find a Type R, I feel like that is the most spiritual sucessor that you'd be looking for. I've driven one for a good couple hours and really thought it was great if I had that much money to blow on a toy. The adaptive suspension is more supple than a Fiesta. It has a higher performance envelope in every way, and it still seems fairly small. Accord Sport was a very comfy car, but it didn't give me the feeling of my fiesta or the type r where you really just want to beat the $%^& out of it all the time. Haven't been in the new veloster N, but I wasn't impressed with the lower turbo model. I don't think it would be a far enough step in the "luxury" department. Focus RS as you say yourself is basically a 7 year old??? platform inside. While it has a higher performance envelope, the ride isn't much/any nicer. The Fsport is pretty nice, but the handling isn't on par with even our Fiesta ST unless you put some money into the suspension and tires. I'd definitely recommend you find one to test drive.

Mikey456

It’s not on your list but what about the German makes? The Gti in particular. The YouTuber Savagegeese did a review on the car. Seems to fit what u r looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Cerberus
Thread Starter #4
I wish Ford brought the updated Fiesta ST platform to the US. That would make my decision easy.

I like the GTi, but have concerns of reliability. My Fiesta has been super reliable with the exception of the HVAC blend door.

The CTR is on the top of my list. However, is it 2x better than the Fiesta taking money into consideration? Then again what is better than a FiST when you consider the cost? Not much.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
If money was not an issue or a concern I would choose the Civic type-r. Yeah it's a little animated looking but it's a great car.
I also like the Hyundai Veloster N.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I like the performance of the Civic type-r, but the looks are just a little too over-the-top for me, especially the huge rear wing. If it had a less radical looking body it would be perfect.
I would also consider a Civic Si, if you can still get one with a manual transmission, but I would want to know a lot more about it. I have had a Honda Prelude and an Acura Integra GSR in the past, and both were great cars.

HBEcoBeaST

I was shopping an RS and Type R when I ended up buying the FiST.

Honestly the RS is a bit of a let down. Like an sti it's fast from a hard launch and in certain conditions, but slow in lots of real world joining/spirited + driving. And it's not very playful or confidence inspiring.

Type R. Great if you can find one at a decent price. Yes it has a Civic interior and the wing needs to be replaced, but it drives great. If you like the 'neutral' feeling of VW GTIs and Rs, the Civic type R is the way to go. Also a very mod friendly platform. My biggest issue was the inflated prices.

Veloster N. I wish it had body styling more conducive to fitting big things inside and a roof rack for boards on top. It drives extremely close to the FiST. Very lively and excellent feedback. The base N can be found at 24K new but you really want the differential and electronic exhaust/suspension in the higher trim. Those are about $30k. I was really contemplating one but between surfboards and work stuff the FiST works better.

Plus with trade in values being so low I'm going to go s280 and then buy a truck. Probably electric [emoji51]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Take the wing off of the type R? Still too rad? Wing has meh functional use on the street, right?

For sure peep the N and VW GTI or used Golf R.

Before I decided to go into the used market and found the Fiesta ST, I looked into new cars for a while and drove a whole bunch. Here's my take:

Civic Type-R: A freaking blast to drive, I really loved the performance and the interior. The exterior is interesting, can't that I love it but I don't hate it. For me the problem was the fiber carbon lip scraping the pavement, I was looking for a year round car and I don't think it would survive a Canadian winter.

WRX: Excellent all rounder. Not as exciting as anything else on this list and a little lower powered but I found it pretty and fun as well as practical. the interior is of good quality but not as well layed out and nice as some of the others. Was my top pick as a good price/performance ratio.

Focus RS: Superb vehicle but as mentionned the interior underwhelmed and it was overly expensive, significantly. It was a great experience on the road though.

Golf R: Was my biggest preference of the bunch. apart from the smaller size and slightly more expensive tag there was wasn't anything really wrong with it. Interior is top notch, driving experience was perfect and it was just beautiful. I did dislike having to go the DSG route though, the manual has an awful rep.

GT86: Not really what you're looking for but I really liked it, not sure it's a step up from a Fiesta ST though.

My verdict, if your roads are mostly free of snow I'd definitely go the Type-R way if it's rougher in the winter WRX or Golf R depends on your budget and needs.

Cheers!

HBEcoBeaST

As someone who really wanted a golf gti or R, I'd stay away. Most owners I know have had many different problems. I didn't buy one because everyone told me if I did anymods, VW will find out and not honor warranties. Even the piggyback controllers are detectable. Used, I'd be weary as well. Lots of cars out there that have had problems.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
I'd look at used Porsche Caymans. Nothing is close to what the Fiesta offers as a true drivers car. I've heard from many RS owners that they enjoy the FiST better. The other models you mention are not going to even be close to the FiST except the Honda Type R which is as you pointed out is ugly.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The accord 2.0t/6spd gets my vote. A Hondata tune can do wonders for it and its very nice inside and rides like a cadillac compared to the FiST yet still handles nice. I like its big body style but it will feel larger than a Fiesta and not be as nimble because of the weight, test drive one you might find you really like it.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Hot Take:

Get an SRT Charger for sedan duties, or a SRT Challenger if you can deal with only two doors.

Change it up and light up some rear tires!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
If you can find a Civic Type R under $30k yet I would personally go that route. Or you could wait a few years for the Corolla GR4 to hit the US market (which many have hinted will happen) and wait 3 years for it to depreciate to under $30k.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
I can't get past the childish looks of the Civic Type R. So many fake vents everywhere. I don't care how good it drives I couldn't get past walking up to the ugly thing every day.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Does no one in the CTR aftermarket have colored panels or something you can fit in lieu of those vents? It's the vehicle's biggest failing...

Also, about the N - https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...s/a29640493/2020-performance-car-of-the-year/

"Want the savagery of a John Cooper Works Mini with the fleet foot bliss of a Ford Fiesta ST? Turn-in is immediate, the steering precise and bubbling with feedback. The Hyundai has a more sorted front end and more cohesive feel than cars costing three times as much.
“This is a $30,430 car that makes a Volkswagen Golf R irrelevant,” Cammisa said

HBEcoBeaST

Does no one in the CTR aftermarket have colored panels or something you can fit in lieu of those vents? It's the vehicle's biggest failing...

Also, about the N - https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...s/a29640493/2020-performance-car-of-the-year/

"Want the savagery of a John Cooper Works Mini with the fleet foot bliss of a Ford Fiesta ST? Turn-in is immediate, the steering precise and bubbling with feedback. The Hyundai has a more sorted front end and more cohesive feel than cars costing three times as much.
having test driven one I agree. just as fun as the fist yet a half step more comfortable and nicer. plus the performance pack version is nice. too bad the hatch area and roof are nowhere near as useful as the fist. and it's looks are subjective

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club

Wow, I had no idea it was so good. I have no intention of giving up this car and hope to keep it forever, but I do worry about the fact that you can't replace them if they get totaled since they're not making them anymore. This was driven home by a recent fender bender in which a huge truck tapped me in the back, and easily could have totalled my car if he was going faster. It's nice to know there's something else good out there

Last edited: