Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

looking for a consensus

hey everyone, so im looking to finally downsize my rims. im going to get steeles and I don't want to change the overall size of my wheels (I don't need to go wider). I want comfort and I want cheap tires, I've heard going all the way down to 15" may make the handling a bit wobbly as "the suspension is tuned with that wheel combination in mind" and id hate to ruin the sharpness so im thinking 16". but if 15" is way cheaper (tire wise) id go with that but its just har to compare when I don't know exactly which size wire I need.

what size rim do I need? 16X? 15X?
and what tire goes on the 16" and the 15"?

slopoke

Different strokes for different folks.For your tire selection use the link below and input the stock tire size. Then select the alternate diameters. The 15" is at the bottom r/h drop down box listed more wheel sizes.Select the diameter that you are looking for and look for the tire that is closest in overall diameter and width. The far r/h column shows what rim size will accommodate that tire. For steel wheels, click the second link. Good luck.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

https://www.fiestastforum.com/search/208202/?q=steel+wheels&c[title_only]=1&o=date

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I guess if that’s your Jam but your here in Cali and bascially there is no reason to go steelies they are heavy and just bleh looking. 😂 That js my opinion. Since you asked for a consensus . I also would not go 15 inch steelies lol. I run 16’s not steelies an inch wider than stock and the ride is great. I am not sure why you have an aversion to A aftermarket wheels and B wider? Usually aftermarket wheels are lighter than stock and that helps in performance on top of that wider allows potential more contact patch than stock and that also helps in performance going with steelies that usually will be narrower than stock rims is just a fail in my opinion. It’s ok though you do you. You wanted insight you got it.

slopoke

I guess if that’s your Jam but your here in Cali and bascially there is no reason to go steelies they are heavy and just bleh looking. 😂 That js my opinion. Since you asked for a consensus . I also would not go 15 inch steelies lol. I run 16’s not steelies an inch wider than stock and the ride is great. I am not sure why you have an aversion to A aftermarket wheels and B wider? Usually aftermarket wheels are lighter than stock and that helps in performance on top of that wider allows potential more contact patch than stock and that also helps in performance going with steelies that usually will be narrower than stock rims is just a fail in my opinion. It’s ok though you do you. You wanted insight you got it.

I think he is trying to go the maximum lowest in price. Heck, that's defeating the purpose of the car. Might as well sell it and get a standard Fiesta.

Rim size aside, comfort will also depend on tire wall stiffness and construction, but since you're not looking into expensive race tires then its probably not a factor for you. Other than that, I would say yeah, the smallest rim size would be the most comfortable. My 15" winters are notable cushier than 16" summers; I imagine if those were summer tires the effect would be somewhat less dramatic. But do note that the extra sidewall stiffness is what keeps the handling sharp as you go down in rim size, so you have to compromise somewhere. I think the consensus is 16" rim with 205/45r16 (or even 205/50r16 if you're not lowered or run wider rims) on something like Indy 500 or a Continental PickAThreeWordCombo is a safe step down.

AFAIK the smallest rim that goes over the stock brakes is 15". I can confirm 15" steel rim works fine, but don't have any experience with 15" alloys.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Rim size aside, comfort will also depend on tire wall stiffness and construction, but since you're not looking into expensive race tires then its probably not a factor for you. Other than that, I would say yeah, the smallest rim size would be the most comfortable. My 15" winters are notable cushier than 16" summers; I imagine if those were summer tires the effect would be somewhat less dramatic. But do note that the extra sidewall stiffness is what keeps the handling sharp as you go down in rim size, so you have to compromise somewhere. I think the consensus is 16" rim with 205/45r16 (or even 205/50r16 if you're not lowered or run wider rims) on something like Indy 500 or a Continental PickAThreeWordCombo is a safe step down.

AFAIK the smallest rim that goes over the stock brakes is 15". I can confirm 15" steel rim works fine, but don't have any experience with 15" alloys.
I would not wish Indy 500’s on my worst enemy those tires are junk he will be much happier running Conti DW 06 or extreme Sport 02’s which are new versions of the DW 06 and a great tire.

I would not wish Indy 500’s on my worst enemy those tires
Oh wow, sounds like you did not have a good time with them. FWIW, between dailying and autocrossing, my only complaint about Indys is that they had a very annoying warble at highway speeds. Unfortunately Contis are too expensive in my neck of the woods for some reason.

slopoke

I would not wish Indy 500’s on my worst enemy those tires are junk he will be much happier running Conti DW 06 or extreme Sport 02’s which are new versions of the DW 06 and a great tire.

I was considering the Indy 500s, but I came across the Continentals and was ready to buy, because I needed them immediately. Well the size I needed are on backorder with no timeframe to be back in stock. Luckily I came across a vendor that had the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s for 8 dollars less per tire than the Continentals. Michelins are typically $460.00 ea and the Continentals are $426.00 ea. I got a good deal.

slopoke

Who is the vendor, and what size did you buy? Thanks.

Walmart.Com website and it is one of their third party sellers.The size is 325/30/19, it's for my Mustang. I took a chance ordering them, but when I got them, the date code was IIRC, the 23rd week of 2023. Walmart has been quite competitive in regards to pricing. I got my Michelin Pilot Sport in 305/35/19 for way cheaper than the other vendors. I've had good luck with Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Michelin...105Y-XL-Passenger-Tire/425590551?from=/search

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Walmart.Com website and it is one of their third party sellers.The size is 325/30/19, it's for my Mustang. I took a chance ordering them, but when I got them, the date code was IIRC, the 23rd week of 2023. Walmart has been quite competitive in regards to pricing. I got my Michelin Pilot Sport in 305/35/19 for way cheaper than the other vendors. I've had good luck with Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Michelin...105Y-XL-Passenger-Tire/425590551?from=/search
OK, that makes sense!
I was going to say $425 to $460 EACH [crazyeye] sounds like a y body (Vette)/Porsche GT3/etc. size or something, not our sizes!

I've never had an issue with my 15" steelies and 185/65 Blizzaks being wobbly or unstable. The only reason why I'll switch my winters up to a 16" (Like I already run for summers) is because I want more clearance for bigger brakes later on and I suspect the 185 contact patch isn't enough for the S280. But if you're not somewhere it gets cold, I'd drop to a 16x8 unless you feel even that would be too harsh. Pretty sure half of all Fiestas run 16x8 ET40 Dekagrams just fine.

If you want steel wheels the selection is VERY limited. There is 15 x 6 which is in stock and available at Summit Racing and there is 16 x 6 which is not in stock with a projected availability in late April 2024. For 6 inch rims you are looking at tire widths in the 175-195 range and the most commonly available tire size is 195/60-15. I have the 15's on my Fiesta for winter tires which are Bridgeston Bilizzak in 195/60-15 and they word very well but come off the car when temps are consistently in the 40's. As for handling the car is not the least bit "floppy", whoever made that claim has some brain damage. They are quite responsive but that are also traction limited by the tire width and compound so they are not something you'll want to use for Racing. Basically go into a corner too hot and the front end will slide and roll on a bit too hard mid corner and you will feel the car come free at all 4 corners in a stable skid that is easy to correct by simply rolling out of the throttle. BTW, the throttle on these cars is not an ON/OFF switch, when you are at the limits for traction you want to adjust the throttle smoothly so you can feel the point where the cars hook up. If you abruptly lift off the throttle mid turn in an FWD car the front end will regain traction near instantly and that Bite will throw the rear into a snap skid.

If you want cheaper 15/16" wheels, get some used fiesta or first gen focus alloy wheels.

There's a difference between value and "cheap" tires.

I have 205/45/16 summers and 195/55/15 winters I find the winters take the edge off the handling a lot more than I've noticed with other cars in the past.

I had 225/45/15 and 205/50/15 200tw tires on my low budget endurance racing Miata with 4x stiffer springs and turn in/handling felt plenty. Obviously there are a bunch of variables there.