Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Looking for direct comparison opinions between OEM Bridgestones & Pilot Sport A/S 3+

An infrequent poster here who's searched many tire threads and feels more confused than ever. Hoping someone here can give some thoughts on my very specific tire situation:

I have a '17 FiST with 18K, and live in the Seattle metro area. The stock Bridgestones are terrible in the winter--useless in snow/slush, obviously, but also really unpleasant in cold weather, which of course they're not made for. Even in the summer, after two years they ride and sound like they're made of concrete, and though they still have some tread life, I'm ready to ditch them...plus winter isn't that far off.

However, my current financial situation doesn't allow for the more expensive wheel-tire option that would be my first choice, which would be to downsize to lighter 16" wheels and get new tires (and store the Potenzas on the 17s for future autocross/track day use), and I don't want to mess with changing the stock tire size/rolling diameter/etc., even though I know going to a thicker sidewall on the 17s would help the ride. The car has no performance mods--maybe someday in the future--and I love its steering and handling as is, so I just want to find a tire that keeps the core feel of the car while providing more all-season utility and (I hope) a slightly less jarring ride.

So, my question is for people who've kept the stock tire size and wheels and replaced the summer Bridgestones with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires. Your observations on:

(1) Ride quality of A/S Michelins vs. Bridgestones?
(2) Noise level " " " "?
(3) Tread wear " " " "?
(4) Summer performance of Michelins--I expect less ultimate grip, but is steering feel and turn in comparable?

Any thoughts on this are much appreciated--thanks!

I noticed no one answered and I have had both. The Bridgestones started out life well. Initially quiet, great initial grip/response, but they began to hum around 17k miles. I had 1 very conservative track day with them because the car was 2 months brand new and I didn't want to "break" anything. The Bridgestones did seem to have better turn in.

The Michelins were quiet for 25k+ miles. I have daily driven on those for almost 3 full years now and they are still on the car ! They need replacement of course, (per the penny test, no chording) but it's only been the last 5k miles or so where they've begun to hum and trace imperfections (the bad way). I am leaving them on for another 2k just because I think they can go. They never saw the track, but dry grip on some spirited driving was great, but turn in was slightly less immediate/responsive as the Bridgestones.

As a recommendation based on your post, I would say go Michelin make sure they are the A/S 3+ and not the old 3 in case anyone is still selling those. They will be great for wet months. It might have rained 2 or 3 times in the last couple of years but they were great then. I suspect they would last even longer than my set if you keep up with rotations and have a conservative alignment (I did neither but still have gotten 30k+) They will be awesome for roughly 20k miles for everything you'd want to do on the street, and will daily drive great for any miles after that until roughly 30k. Hope that helps.

OP
ksvtguy170
Thread Starter #3
Thanks! That's a really helpful comparison. Interesting to hear your similar experience with the Bridgestones--that they started going bad around 17k. The turn-in and grip are still tremendous, but everything else about them annoys me at this point. The Michelins sound like exactly what I need.

SST

i have the AS3+ as well on my car right now, but i bought the car used so the Bridgestone was bald when i bough it.

I can tell you AS3+ sucks on snow, dont even bother, if your current financial situation only allow you to buy one set, then not the AS3+, I am in Canada, i have dedicated snow tire, i was late on swapping the tire, and the AS3+ made me swap to winter the same night.

acceleration was ok on flat, but i had problem with stopping and climbing with just a bit of snow.

in the same category, definitely look at the Continental DWS or their latest offering, they are winter-able performance all season. I have also read the General version is capable in snow too, but these two are not as comparable in dry to the Michelin thou.

I track the AS3+ once, 205 wide, stock suspension, they are ok, but i wouldn't do more than 4 hot laps on those.

OP
ksvtguy170
Thread Starter #5
I can tell you AS3+ sucks on snow, dont even bother, if your current financial situation only allow you to buy one set, then not the AS3+, I am in Canada, i have dedicated snow tire, i was late on swapping the tire, and the AS3+ made me swap to winter the same night.

acceleration was ok on flat, but i had problem with stopping and climbing with just a bit of snow.

in the same category, definitely look at the Continental DWS or their latest offering, they are winter-able performance all season. I have also read the General version is capable in snow too, but these two are not as comparable in dry to the Michelin thou.
Hmm, interesting. Too bad I went ahead and ordered the A/S 3+! Thing is, snow is fairly rare in the Seattle area and usually it's mild slush that melts away quickly, so I just want something that can deal with those conditions and winter cold. The Potenzas were like damn Flintstones car tires in temps below 50 degrees or so. Down the road, I'd like to get some 15" steelies with snow tires just in case we get socked in like we did this past February.

I've had Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires on a couple of past cars and they were very good, but it sounded like the Pilot Sports were better. I could have saved a few bucks by getting the Continentals...