Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Looking for short shift adapter comparisons

I am going to have to retract everything I said about the mountune SS. I found out a bracket on the battery tray that seats the ECU connector cover.. was cutting into my shifter cable cap. the part that goes over the ball. after a little bit of bending, my shifter feels... honestly as good as stock with a shorter throw. I have a longer shift knob, so i do not feel the "extra" effort needed to push it into gear. and 2nd gear is like a well lubed bolt action.
I also topped up my trans oil, i have no idea what came out, but i only put in 1.7l, so i added the .3l to make it a even 2l fill.
all I got left is a tire rotation and oil change.

OP
FiSTerMr

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #62
I am going to have to retract everything I said about the mountune SS. I found out a bracket on the battery tray that seats the ECU connector cover.. was cutting into my shifter cable cap. the part that goes over the ball. after a little bit of bending, my shifter feels... honestly as good as stock with a shorter throw. I have a longer shift knob, so i do not feel the "extra" effort needed to push it into gear. and 2nd gear is like a well lubed bolt action.
I also topped up my trans oil, i have no idea what came out, but i only put in 1.7l, so i added the .3l to make it a even 2l fill.
all I got left is a tire rotation and oil change.
Which trans oil did you go with?

2017 w/Recaros - bone stock

Which trans oil did you go with?

2017 w/Recaros - bone stock
I've been running motul 300 since 600 miles. The only difference I notice is the oil is a bit thicker, and there is probably psychologically, a slightly increase effort in shifting when very cold out (sub 40s). Otherwise, I really did not notice a real difference- seems like hype to me. Since it is treating me well, I will continue using it.

I installed a shifter plate I bought off ebay for $36, came from China after about 2 weeks. Looks identical to the other brands, install was easy and feels great. For anyone on the fence I'd recommend one, it's a great bargain for the quality.

Comparisons are difficult because unless you tried all the items you are comparing it is hard to tell the difference.
In addition everyone, with few exceptions, will tell you that the one that they have is the best.
This is because most will never want to admit they made a wrong decision.

I have the both the Mountune adaptor and bushings also the Boomba arm.
I find the combination to work very well (see I did it too).
Hey im looking to do the same thing plus a 3 inch shifter extension. (Trying to copy the coolerworx on a budget) on Facebook some were saying they had gear popout issues or trouble finding gears with the mountune plate plus boomba arm. So that scared me a bit. Just wondering if you had any problems and or suggestions

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Hey im looking to do the same thing plus a 3 inch shifter extension.
Adding an extension will do the exact opposite of a short shifter.
If you have gear pop out issues, 90% of the time the problem is a need to adjust the cables.

Adding an extension will do the exact opposite of a short shifter.
If you have gear pop out issues, 90% of the time the problem is a need to adjust the cables.
Would you be able to make a video showing the throw in each gear with your setup like that other guy who only has the lever did?

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Would you be able to make a video showing the throw in each gear with your setup like that other guy who only has the lever did?
Sorry, I can't do that as I no longer have the car.
However it is simple physics, if you increase the length of a lever, it does take less force to move an object but the the lever must be moved further.
Therefore the "throw" is longer.

Sorry, I can't do that as I no longer have the car.
However it is simple physics, if you increase the length of a lever, it does take less force to move an object but the the lever must be moved further.
Therefore the "throw" is longer.
I know the longer the lever the longer the throw but i basically want it closer to the wheel so i am doing the short shifter combo to reduce it as much as i can so it would still be less than stock with extension if that makes sense

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I know the longer the lever the longer the throw but i basically want it closer to the wheel so i am doing the short shifter combo to reduce it as much as i can so it would still be less than stock with extension if that makes sense
Yes, that makes total sense.
But is the 3 inches worth the expense?
Remember to that getting it 3 inches closer means that you need to push it 3 inches further away from you to get it into 1st, 3rd, and 5th.