Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Loud mental clunk

Just picked up my first ST on saturday only done 7k miles noticed going over some drain covers and a pothole i got a loud bang from the suspension almost metal sounding if that makes sense was just one intial loud bang only happens at faster speeds too anybody got any ideas??? Much appreciated

OP
MJST20
Thread Starter #3
I have an aftermarket lower strut bar that like to kiss speed bumps and potholes- is the suspension stock?
Completly stock my first ford and having iffy thoughts already with this noise noticed its only when im going pretty fast

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Probably the subframe kissing the ground. Or it could have been an aftermarket resonator if you have an exhaust. The lowest point on my car now is the thermal resonator and it does have scratches from various road debris. Hit a squirrel one time, had to scrap the blood off.

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
The front air dam would definitely sound like scrapping or at least of plastic because it's very thin and flexible so just by what your saying you rule out the lowest thing on your car. Second would be the front subframe.

OP
MJST20
Thread Starter #7
woul
Or could have bottomed out the struts too I guess.

Would it really sink that low? I mean cars standard height for an st and they wernt big holes im
Hitting

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
woul

Would it really sink that low? I mean cars standard height for an st and they wernt big holes im
Hitting
I'm not entirely sure. Totally spitballing with that one. I'm running coilovers so I'm also not a good judge for this so hopefully someone with stock suspension can chime in. Did you get under the car yet?

OP
MJST20
Thread Starter #9
I'm not entirely sure. Totally spitballing with that one. I'm running coilovers so I'm also not a good judge for this so hopefully someone with stock suspension can chime in. Did you get under the car yet?

Nah not had chance to get under but had a look best i can everything looks brand new still

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Nah not had chance to get under but had a look best i can everything looks brand new still
Look for metal that has paint scrapped off. You may not be able to see it just looking under the car but should be noticable when you have it jacked up. Just look under it see what the lowest parts are and check those.

Not sure if this could be it but I had a somewhat similiar problem at stock height... at higher speeds I had a metal sound as well. After checking around I figured out that it was coming from the Rear Motor Mount I installed. I installed it incorrectly. My dumbass put the washer on the wrong side [bash] . So after awhile there would be a metal clanking noise especially at high speeds. I'm not saying it is that, but couldn't hurt to check.

(I know I will get roasted for this mistake) [rofl]

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Not sure if this could be it but I had a somewhat similiar problem at stock height... at higher speeds I had a metal sound as well. After checking around I figured out that it was coming from the Rear Motor Mount I installed. I installed it incorrectly. My dumbass put the washer on the wrong side [bash] . So after awhile there would be a metal clanking noise especially at high speeds. I'm not saying it is that, but couldn't hurt to check.

(I know I will get roasted for this mistake) [rofl]
I'm actually impressed lol

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The factory dampers, even when relatively new, and in great shape can bottom out, but yes, it does take a pretty big 'hit' to happen.

I know this from driving down rough gravel rally stage forestry roads at half (or less) rally competition speeds, with fully functional, NOT leaking, factory dampers and less than 10K mile factory springs. [wink]

OP
MJST20
Thread Starter #16
The factory dampers, even when relatively new, and in great shape can bottom out, but yes, it does take a pretty big 'hit' to happen.

I know this from driving down rough gravel rally stage forestry roads at half (or less) rally competition speeds, with fully functional, NOT leaking, factory dampers and less than 10K mile factory springs. [wink]
Il get somebody to have a quick look on a ramp this weekend thanks for the reply dudes😎👍🏼

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I used to get pretty aggressive acceleration over depressions and humps on standard suspension; could float over anything.

ST is "lowered" and the clank I hear, I believe is the front strut plate and stop making contact.

You'll get used to it and get a feel for what it don't like... like hard acceleration over dips and humps.

ST suspension is really aggressive and tries to keep the tires firmly planted on the pavement. I really notice the benefits riding over depressions in cornering, and also with "rapid" or aggressive changes in direction.

The reason I put "lowered" in quotes is, though it has much less suspension travel, the body itself really isn't close to the ground as one might expect when peaking under there. (good for needed ground clearance but bad for center-of-gravity)

2016 stock suspension.

OP
MJST20
Thread Starter #20
Just had it up on a ramp, the rear shocky is leaking thats where i was getting the noise from….only 7k miles be phoning ford tomorrow