Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Low speed whirring or grinding noise. 1-10mph

Got a noise that may be normal- or not. 19’ FiST is new- less than 2000 miles on it.

At low speed I get a whirring almost a grinding sound. It is loud enough you can hear it inside the car with the windows up. It does not happen 100% of the time. Makes the same noise forward or reverse. Kinda sounds like a bad idler pulley... but isn’t.

In both of the videos it starts out loud enough to hear within a second of moving forward- then fades.

It has not changed much- but it is odd enough that I figured I’d ask if anyone has an idea what it is.

View: https://youtu.be/_v12R_ijaK0

View: https://youtu.be/eeVcqKCaHrs

Any ideas are appreciated.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Got a noise that may be normal- or not. 19’ FiST is new- less than 2000 miles on it.

At low speed I get a whirring almost a grinding sound. It is loud enough you can hear it inside the car with the windows up. It does not happen 100% of the time. Makes the same noise forward or reverse. Kinda sounds like a bad idler p

In both of the videos it starts out loud enough to hear within a second of moving forward- then fades.

It has not changed much- but it is odd enough that I figured I’d ask if anyone has an idea what it is.

View: https://youtu.be/_v12R_ijaK0

View: https://youtu.be/eeVcqKCaHrs

Any ideas are appreciated.
Or just bring it to the local Dealer due to being under 3yrs...36k...IMO.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
I agree have the dealer look at it is best. If the car is off and in neutral rolling does it do it? I can't hear anything TBH. If I had to guess towards brakes. I know mine squeal after sitting for a few days if it rained. What you could do is a few (2-3) 40mph to 10 brake stands.

OP
C
Thread Starter #4
I know the audio isn't great - especially when you are playing it back on a phone.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Sounds like SymPOSER to me. If you slip at higher RPMs does the noise change? If you temporarily unplug the hose from the poser box, does the noise go away?

OP
C
Thread Starter #6
I pulled the pipe from the symposer and drove it about 120 miles today.

With it disconnected and windows up I can't hear the noise anymore.

Windows down I can hear it - seems to be engine speed connected- like less than 2k, and light load. Was able to replicate it in first and second gear.

If there wasn't the pesky warrantee that symposer gizmo would be torn off and collecting dust. Kinda seems like when engine load is just right the symposer sounds a bit like a wooden stake being drug along on concrete…. Why did Ford engineers spend money on the stupid symposer instead of a glove box light- or extendable sun visors?

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Why did Ford engineers spend money on the stupid symposer instead of a glove box light- or extendable sun visors?
It's a world car.
Some countries have strict noise regulations. If you have a stock exhaust, the symposer lets you hear the engine. Some people like it.
Now that you know what it is, you can just live with it, or delete it.

OP
C
Thread Starter #8
It's a world car.
Some countries have strict noise regulations. If you have a stock exhaust, the symposer lets you hear the engine. Some people like it.
Now that you know what it is, you can just live with it, or delete it.

Aye,

I plan on living with the symposer for now. Just getting used to “normal” noises on the new ride, the old ride was a turbodiesel pickup, so it’s “normal” noises were a whole lot louder, but I was familiar with them.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I believe the EU noise regulations only apply to sounds that are external to the passenger cabin. Inside the cabin, there are probably aren't any regulations; with possible exception to allowing emergency siren frequencies to be audible enough from inside the vehicle.

I pulled the pipe from the symposer and drove it about 120 miles today.

With it disconnected and windows up I can't hear the noise anymore.

Windows down I can hear it - seems to be engine speed connected- like less than 2k, and light load. Was able to replicate it in first and second gear.

If there wasn't the pesky warrantee that symposer gizmo would be torn off and collecting dust. Kinda seems like when engine load is just right the symposer sounds a bit like a wooden stake being drug along on concrete…. Why did Ford engineers spend money on the stupid symposer instead of a glove box light- or extendable sun visors?
Check the Amazon link in my post there, for a quick, cheap, safe, simple plug that leaves it appearing 100% stock. I see no reason it would impact warranty.
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/intake-noise.17092/post-310311
You can read my subsequent replies to peoples' concerns in the thread for more detail.