Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Lowering spring install quote

I got a quote from a local shop that specializes in Subarus, but also works on domestics.

Wanted to see how much they would charge for spring install since they are just down the street.

They quoted me $660 :motherofgod:

Does anyone live in Denver that is willing to do it for me? I have a garage. Will pay you. :thumbup:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a garage why not try it yourself? Its not hard at all. There are plenty of install videos out there to guide you. Even if you have to buy some tools it will be cheaper than paying a shop to do it

And yeah, $600 is a rip off. That sounds to me like the I dont want to do it so I'll just give a ridiculous quote price

Fiestig

Not kidding, this is one of the easiest cars to lower. It took 20min each side on the rear to completely swap the shocks and springs. The fronts are as simple since you just swap the springs on the struts. If you are capable this is quite simple. Just need the proper tools (Front: jack, jackstands, spring compressor for the strut springs, open socket wrench for the top strut nut, hex key to hold the strut rod. Rear: Jack, jack stands, socket and wrench for the bottom shock mount).

There are some youtube videos. Again this is only of you are comfortable. $600 sounds like pure robbery.

if you were closer, id offer

use that 600 and buy yourself a jack, jackstands, impact gun, sockets, spring compressor... you get where im going here. Invest in yourself and tools

Mikey456

Yes that is expensive... I spent about half that to get my springs installed.

2017 Ford Fiesta ST, Shadow Black, Recaro seats, Mountune RMM, Swift springs, 5mm rear spacers, Falken 615+ tires

$600 is insane. i was quoted $200 to install all the springs. but i will do them myself this weekend. As previously said, there are a bunch of install videos to guide you. [wrenchin]

price is a bit high. also depends what their hourly rate is and where the location is. should be a couple hundred cheaper. if they do a good job then cant knock em but yeah a bit high

Brianmc27

My dumbass did it on my own, cramped garage, never done springs on any car ever - with breaks it took me 3 hours.

Typical shop around here is ~$80/hr. I suggest doing it yourself, but wouldn’t pay a dime over $300.

OP
Dubcc
Thread Starter #10
The guy said a spring compressor has to be used on the rear. Isn’t it just 1 bolt on each side for the rear? They probably just didn’t want to do the job so (like someone said) quoted a ridiculous amount.

OP
Dubcc
Thread Starter #11
if you were closer, id offer

use that 600 and buy yourself a jack, jackstands, impact gun, sockets, spring compressor... you get where im going here. Invest in yourself and tools
I have most of the above. Could be possible!

The guy said a spring compressor has to be used on the rear. Isn’t it just 1 bolt on each side for the rear? They probably just didn’t want to do the job so (like someone said) quoted a ridiculous amount.

Yeah one bolt per side. Once you have those lower shock bolts out the axle will hang down and you can pull the springs right out. Doesn't get much easier.

Sam4

WAIT. Subaru's AND domestics? Ramblers and DeSoto's? 4 by's? Muskel Cars from the 60's?? Perfect mix of expertise - $600 is a cheap life lesson...

OP
Dubcc
Thread Starter #15
Another performance shop in the area quoted me $800-850 for spring install and alignment. I know I live in an expensive area, but damn!!

Mikey456

By the way they should not charge you as much on alignment because the rear end of the car is non adjustable.

2017 Ford Fiesta ST, Shadow Black, Recaro seats, Mountune RMM, Swift springs, 5mm rear spacers, Falken 615+ tires

SPhilli911

I am attempting to install new struts/ springs tomorrow. I am not completely savvy with working on cars other than the basic stuff but it really doesn't look very hard from what I've seen so long as you have all the tools and some patience.

Me, I will try anything before I go to a shop.

Mikey456

By the way they should not charge you as much on alignment because the rear end of the car is non adjustable.

Maybe u can get a better deal if you drive out of town. Also u get the car aligned at a lot of local tire places. I got my front aligned for around 70-80$ if I remember correctly. My toe was off a little after I lowered the car. U can’t adjust the camber without the camber bolts. U will end up with approximately 1 degree of negative camber in the front if u lower it an inch which is perfect for me as a daily driver.

OP
Dubcc
Thread Starter #19
Thanks for the heads up! I will get some camber bolts!

OP
Dubcc
Thread Starter #20
The rears aren’t adjustable at all?? That seems strange to me