Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

LSD is toast

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Was autocrossing this weekend, after the 1st run on Sunday I had a noticeable popping noise coming from the left wheel well. I looked under the car and nothing appeared out of whack so I attributed it to something non-critical and went for my 2nd run. I had lots of wheel hop on turning, car turned "funky" in that it fought me then suddenly didn't, lots of noise, etc. I threw in the towel and figured it was the CV joint. After limping it to a shop, we are now convinced that the LSD (Mfactory, 2 years old) has died, while on the lift it acted liked a locked diff. Haven't cracked open the transmission yet but it will be happening once I get a replacement part.

I now regret that 2nd run and driving it to the shop, there is a chance I made and circulated metal bits inside the transmission itself and it may need a rebuild. Sad Panda.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Bummer man. Hope all’s well with the trans. Your MFactory has a lifetime warranty so there’s some good news there.

OP
kivnul

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #3
True to the warranty but they are out of stock till December so I ordered a new one thru whoosh. I have no idea how it will all turn out. May end up with one on the shelf when it’s all over. Left a VM with mfactory but no callback yet.

Sorry to hear this :( Would be very interesting to see what exactly failed and the teardown... What kind of popping was it, just while under constant throttle or on tip in/out going straight or turning or?

Hopefully if/once the failure is confirmed you get a reimbursement from the manufacturer for the one you just bought?

Last edited:

Woods247

2000 Post Club
This thread convinced me to try the Wavetrack. I was considering the M-Factory.
Dude that’s ridiculous. He’s not even sure it’s diff lol. Even if it is, shit loads of have had zero problems. With that sorta thinkin’ you’ll roll through life eating Xanax all day long and roll around in a stock automobile. Where’s the fun in that?! 🤣

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Dude that’s ridiculous. He’s not even sure it’s diff lol. Even if it is, shit loads of have had zero problems. With that sorta thinkin’ you’ll roll through life eating Xanax all day long and roll around in a stock automobile. Where’s the fun in that?! 🤣
Wow a bit harsh:ROFLMAO: Eating Xanax all day long he would not even be able to drive:ROFLMAO: High as a kite yes in condition to drive no.:ROFLMAO:
Eager to here exactly what happened though.🤣

Oh and just so we are on the record. I am a firmly in the Wavetrac camp over Mfactory anyways, Just sayin!

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Wow a bit harsh:ROFLMAO: Eating Xanax all day long he would not even be able to drive:ROFLMAO: High as a kite yes in condition to drive no.:ROFLMAO:
Eager to here exactly what happened though.🤣

Oh and just so we are on the record. I am a firmly in the Wavetrac camp over Mfactory anyways, Just sayin!
Cool man. You’ll love the LSD.

Magnetic

I actually had a prescriptions for Xanax before, they were great! LoL

Let's see what happens. But in all fairness, the Mfactory isn't the most expensive diff out there.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I actually had a prescriptions for Xanax before, they were great! LoL

Let's see what happens. But in all fairness, the Mfactory isn't the most expensive diff out there.
thats true and it‘s a great alternative for the cost conscious that don’t see the reason for buying the Wavetrac.
If the Wavetrac was not available I probably would buy a MFactory.

Magnetic

thats true and it‘s a great alternative for the cost conscious that don’t see the reason for buying the Wavetrac.
Yeah I think for the price its a SOLID deal but I want to go a bit higher end (if you can call it that) on the diff. Their advertising says there's nothing like it on the market (maybe for our cars?) and that you dont have to do any kind of maintenance. There's a transmission company that recommends them in their experience to be the best. I forgot the name of that company though. It's the one that gets the OEM tranny and does some kind of stuff to it to make it better.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Yeah I think for the price its a SOLID deal but I want to go a bit higher end (if you can call it that) on the diff. Their advertising says there's nothing like it on the market (maybe for our cars?) and that you dont have to do any kind of maintenance. There's a transmission company that recommends them in their experience to be the best. I forgot the name of that company though. It's the one that gets the OEM tranny and does some kind of stuff to it to make it better.
Ya thats Clark Transmission. I have friends with the Wavetrac in their car. They like it a lot. I have actually called Wavetrac and talked to them as well. I did so after the Mfactory guy got on here saying all kinds of things. It kinda looked bad in my eyes. Not the way one earns more business by trash talking their competitors.

Sour grapes be sour grapes though and people are human I get that.

OP
kivnul

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #13
I’m 99% sure it’s the diff. Get a pop/crunch when wheels are spinning at different rates if it allows, otherwise one wheel just hops/skips as the diff is locked. Get a constant noise like something is rubbing when going straight under power, sounds more grindy when not under power (coasting/decel)

Drove it about 30 miles to a shop thinking it was just a CV joint being bad, so may have contaminated the synchros et al with shavings, won’t know until it’s cracked open. Ron @ whoosh told me that most diffs are very out of stock right now thus me not mixing it up with a different brand. So far, I have not heard of another failure of an mfactory one here.

EDIT - I will take pics and send it in for warranty. Best case is they send me another unit that I would then shelf or resell: they won’t give $reimbursement.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Same here, even IF kivnul's Mfactory is perfectly fine on teardown.

YES, they can all potentially explode under the wrong stresses/conditions, but I just like the functional operation of the Wavetrac's design better in the first place, yup even despite the extra coin.
They are so ridiculously exorbitant in labor co$t$ to install through a shop (around here at least) anyway, the extra coin does not even matter at that point, so might as well install the one you really want. [wink]

Last edited:

Magnetic

Same here, even IF kivnul's Mfactory is perfectly fine on teardown.

YES, they can all potentially explode under the wrong stresses/conditions, but I just like the functional operation of the Wavetrac's design better in the first place, yup even despite the extra coin.
They are so ridiculously exorbitant in labor co$t$ to install through a shop (around here at least) anyway, the extra coin does not even matter at that point, so might as well install the one you really want. [wink]
Those are my thoughts as well. Clutch, flywheel, slave and LSD is a fairly big job. Sucks they all have to be done at the same time to make it worthwhile.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Why wouldn’t you wait? It’s a lot of work swapping diffs.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Maybe it's his only vehicle and that extra downtime wouldn't work.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Even more reason to buy the diff he deems more reliable since that would suggest less downtime.