Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Lsd options

Looking to purchase an lsd. I would like to hear feed back on all of our options with a little feed back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an MFactory in my Fiesta and love it. I also did a spec stage 3+ clutch at the same time. I constantly drag race my car on drag slicks so it sees plenty of abuse. It has been great, zero slip and spins both tires every time. I know it is the most affordable option available but I would recommend it to anyone! I ordered mine from Ron at Whoosh and it shipped direct in 3 business days. Pretty incredible.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I just installed an Mfactory in my roommates car. He uses it predominantly as a weekend track car, we haven't been able to take it to an event yet, but just driving around town it feels incredible. The way the car pulls through a corner now is insane, no problem putting power down from apex to exit.

Last edited:

Woods247

2000 Post Club
MFactory purchased from Whoosh Motorsports as well. I track mine regularly with a hybrid turbo. It’s an absolute necessity for fast corner exit. Installation was around a grand if I remember correctly but some have installed it for less. Seems to be the best option since many of us abuse it without issues and it’s the least expensive. There’s no abnormal maintenance either.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
I would probably just change out the transaxle fluid more frequently than most with one installed, as a precaution, especially if open tracking it many times a year. (CHEAP insurance!) [wink]
Of course. I change mine more frequently than most. FWIW, I use Motul 300 with the MFactory diff.

I dont even know what all the options are for these cars? I have had a Quaife in a few VWs and couldn't say enough good things about them. I think Kaaz and maybe Wavetrac are an option for these as well?

What are the differences? Is the MFactory a Quaife clone for slightly less? In the VW community we had Quaife and Peloquin which were clones and both excellent. Then Wavetrac for the newer cars which I believe is a different design?

This is a big ticket item a ways down the road for me on this car but I cant say enough good things about how an LSD transformed the feel of my newer 1.8T and old MK2 VR6 cars. It's a big money commitment but if you can afford it you wont be disappointed.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The MFactory is exactly that, an excellent Quaife clone for less coin.

The Wavetrac is a torsen type design, just like the Quaife and MFactory, but has a 'ramp up' feature which helps if going over curbing on road courses, or just getting one wheel airborne on gravel rallies and such.

The KAAZ is a multi-pack clutch type diff, as is the (available ONLY in Oz, and Europe it seems) Drexler.
There may be other clutch pack type diffs available for these cars, but I have not ever heard of any others. [wink]

Looking to purchase an lsd. I would like to hear feed back on all of our options with a little feed back

for a daily driver you don't need one lol.
and seriously: wouldn't it be nice if ppl say what do they need it for?
M-Factory here on stage rally car. does the job right. Installed myself.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
So... why is it an option for the MK8? :unsure:

The LSD makes a big difference in a FWD car.

EDIT - I 'need' it for snow and gravel.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
That‘s a matter of opinion. lol If one dailies but tracks there car too it can have its advantages. The whole if your using it for a daily you do not need it is a judgement call at best. If one has a hybrid or a BT on daily again the LSD can and will help.

So... why is it an option for the MK8? :unsure:

The LSD makes a big difference in a FWD car.

EDIT - I 'need' it for snow and gravel.
LSD makes a big difference in any car.
in my case the "option" was money, that's all.
would probably be happier with plated but they're twice the price.
But since we use a lot of left foot braking torsen and alike is not a problem at all.
installation was easy aside adjusting bearings pre-load.
that was a beatch! u got to put the whole thing together, measure play and order shims
from a dealer, wait a few days and hope you'll get it right from the first try.
and yeah parts guy won't have any idea what it is and why you want them to begin with.
PS. On "normal" cars like subies pre-load is adjusted from the outside
but Ford surely wanted to make it hard.

Attachments

jayrod1980

LSD makes a big difference in any car.
in my case the "option" was money, that's all.
would probably be happier with plated but they're twice the price.
But since we use a lot of left foot braking torsen and alike is not a problem at all.
installation was easy aside adjusting bearings pre-load.
that was a beatch! u got to put the whole thing together, measure play and order shims
from a dealer, wait a few days and hope you'll get it right from the first try.
and yeah parts guy won't have any idea what it is and why you want them to begin with.
PS. On "normal" cars like subies pre-load is adjusted from the outside
but Ford surely wanted to make it hard.

I thought one of the M-factory’s advantages over the Quaife, aside from price, is that it doesn’t require shims. Am I wrong about that?

I thought one of the M-factory’s advantages over the Quaife, aside from price, is that it doesn’t require shims. Am I wrong about that?
If You haven't removed Your stock one yet and haven't tried to install LSD You will never know.
And i can assure You it WILL need shims for preload adjustment
unless the width between bearing races is exactly the same as the stock one installed in Your car
which is never the case.

Yawsport has a Cusco LSD for FiestaST. That's a pretty serious clutch style unit. I thought I might buy it for my rallyX car, but spent the money on a gravel spec suspension instead.

Google Yawsport for contact info if interested.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have a WaveTrac fitted to my every day driver. It makes a hell of a difference for spirited driving but haven't got to tracking it yet. I had a lsd in my Toyota rally car and I could do donuts in the car's length on dirt. First time I've had one in a fwd car and I put it through its paces! Price is par with the Quaife and once again, FSWerks installed it for me and I've had no problems whatsoever with it! I have a nearly 45 degree hill close to my house and I can accelerate up the hill, in the wet with no drama, just GRIP!

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
A two-wheel drive Rally Sport vehicle? I supposed those exist, but how well do they compete against the all-wheel drive models?
Very well. I regularly beat mod AWD-classed vehicles in my mod FWD-classed FiST in a very competitive SCCA Rallycross region.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I have a WaveTrac fitted to my every day driver. It makes a hell of a difference for spirited driving but haven't got to tracking it yet. I had a lsd in my Toyota rally car and I could do donuts in the car's length on dirt. First time I've had one in a fwd car and I put it through its paces! Price is par with the Quaife and once again, FSWerks installed it for me and I've had no problems whatsoever with it! I have a nearly 45 degree hill close to my house and I can accelerate up the hill, in the wet with no drama, just GRIP!
I remember once, that after winning the Maine Forest Rally one year in the late '90s, the Sprongl brothers did those 'spin like a top' style donuts in celebration, in their Quattro S2 coupe with the center diff locked, on pavement, right in the intersection of routes 16 and 17 in Oquossoc, Maine.[:)] [driving]