Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Lucas GDI cleaner

I would argue against using any engine cleaning products (gas, oil, or intake cleaners). I have been looking around at claims that the turbo seals can be stressed from the additives and degergents. This is my main concern when looking at decarb treatments.

At 10,000 miles, i would say you are being paranoid. Remember to only send it when the engine is warm

PunkST

2000 Post Club
^ thats probably why they recommend changing the oil right after in the instructions on the can 😉.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
My (probably way over paranoid) worry is that these products will make a 'chunk' of carbon break free, and end up in the turbine blades, damaging them, but yeah, most likely UN-likely. [dunno]

This would not happen with walnut shell blasting, which yes is $$$, because the engine is not running, and the exhaust ports are closed when this is done, cylinder by cylinder. [wink]

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
The remote chance of that happening is enough for me not to use these types of cleaning products. Also, it's been well discussed on here that our cars are better at not producing carbon buildup on the valves than a lot of other DI engines.
Using high-quality full synthetic oil and top-tier gas, letting the car fully warm up while driving it and avoiding short trips as much as possible, and the occasional Italian tune-up also help.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
My (probably way over paranoid) worry is that these products will make a 'chunk' of carbon break free, and end up in the turbine blades, damaging them, but yeah, most likely UN-likely. [dunno]

This would not happen with walnut shell blasting, which yes is $$$, because the engine is not running, and the exhaust ports are closed when this is done, cylinder by cylinder. [wink]
You dont run the car and hose the intake with the stuff. The manifold is pulled off. It literally dissolves the carbon by breaking it down. Not a huge worry of chunks at all.

OP
N
Thread Starter #9
Yeah I’ll probably hold off on this or the CRC GDI cleaner until at least 50,000 miles and stop worrying about it

I should just get a water/meth kit!

plugs @ 10-12K alright, or overkill?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
You dont run the car and hose the intake with the stuff. The manifold is pulled off. It literally dissolves the carbon by breaking it down. Not a huge worry of chunks at all.
OK, so it is sort of a form of 'wet' walnut shell (or whatever media) blasting, with a bunch of elbow grease involved?

PunkST

2000 Post Club
OK, so it is sort of a form of 'wet' walnut shell (or whatever media) blasting, with a bunch of elbow grease involved?
Kinda yeah. It takes longer probaby. But with the manifold off you see it eat away and break down the. Carbon deposits. Having a soft brush with a real long handle also helps. Use it liberally, wet/dry shop vac out the ports before moving onto the next cylinder. Then change the oil in the car.