Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

MAPerformance: 2015 Fiesta ST R&D Project (Tuning, Intake, Downpipe, Exhaust, Turbo Kit)

Trader history for maperformance (0)

maperformance

CLICK HERE FOR OUR INTRODUCTION TO FIESTA ST R&D
CLICK HERE FOR COBB ACCESSPORT TUNING UPDATE
CLICK HERE FOR TESTING WITH TURBOSMART WGA and BOV UPDATE
CLICK HERE FOR DOWNPIPE R&D UPDATE #1
CLICK HERE FOR CATBACK R&D UPDATE #1
CLICK HERE FOR CATBACK DYNO RESULTS!
CLICK HERE FOR DOWNPIPE INFORMATION #2
CLICK HERE FOR INTERCOOLER INFORMATION
CLICK HERE FOR INTERCOOLER R&D PICTURES

CLICK HERE FOR INTAKE R&D, TESTING, and PRICING
CLICK HERE FOR CHARGE PIPE R&D, TESTING, and PRICING

FiestaSTforum.com,

We are a little late to the party but we are excited to be developing a full line of high quality products for the Fiesta ST. Some of you might have came across some of our Ecoboost Mustang development, if not here is a quick timeline:

Enough with the Mustang talk, just wanted to give you all a little background, and why we feel we are qualified to produce some of the highest quality products for your Fiesta ST! Over the next few weeks we will be following the same upgrade path that we did with the Ecoboost Mustang (intake, downpipe, exhaust), and documenting every step of the way as we do so. I pride myself of being very thorough when it comes to the R&D process and answering any questions customers may have, so please ask away!

Here are some of the benefits of purchasing an MAPerformance developed product:

• Designed, machined, and fabricated in house
  • All hard material locally sourced from US based manufacturers (raw material for flanges, tubing, billet)
  • All bends are mandrel bent in house
  • Everything is 100% tig welded and backpurged by hand, even though it looks robotic, its not. [wink]
  • Direct fit is our main focus, no modifications needed to surrounding components for installation
  • Lifetime Warranty

A quick glance at the quality of our products:

Custom tuning for the Fiesta ST is already available, and results will be shared within the next few days soon as I have some time to collect all the data and put it into a post. If you are in need of a custom tune or E-tuning please visit the link in my signature below. No build too big or small, and can tune 93oct/E30/E85/Race Gas.

First blog post of our progress thus far is already up, and can be viewed by clicking the picture below!

Sub'd. Glad to see you guys in the Fiesta game! I followed your Ecoboost Mustang R&D and the final product with the 5862 must be a riot! Any initial thoughts on how the stock 2.3 long block will hold up with an upgraded turbo? May give us some insight to how our 1.6 will handle the extra stress.

OP
maperformance

maperformance

Thread Starter #9
Best luck to you guys I will follow your tread
Thank you!

Awesome, can't wait to see some R&D progress and products start rolling out.
Same here, waiting on material is always the worst part. Once they arrive you all will see some cool stuff!

Thank you!

Thank you!

Sub'd. Glad to see you guys in the Fiesta game! I followed your Ecoboost Mustang R&D and the final product with the 5862 must be a riot! Any initial thoughts on how the stock 2.3 long block will hold up with an upgraded turbo? May give us some insight to how our 1.6 will handle the extra stress.
We are still on the 5858, we felt the need to switch to the 5862 to make power a little easier up top. So far the stock 2.3L longblock on the Mustang is holding up pretty strong, we are looking to make a 10 second pass on it this 3rd quarter. I have Hoosier QTP's, Skinnies, Wheels, Driveshaft, Halfshafts, fuel system, and suspension going on the car as we speak. Hope to be the first EBM in the 10's and the first to do it on a stock block!

Looking forward to see what you guys come up with!
Thank you!

Great read so far, can't wait to see more updates.
Thank you!

Will be putting together another update here in the next day or two. I have some good results from tuning to share, on 93oct and E30!

OP
maperformance

maperformance

Thread Starter #11
For a second there, I thought you guys had a 500whp FiST. [paranoid]
Haha, but that isn't to far away. If everything goes well with the first phase of products and the market is strong we will move forward with a built engine, fuel system, and cylinder head packages.

Here is pictures of the cylinder head package we just finished for the Mustang.

Ignore the deck surface of the head, that is straight from Ford. We don't dect the service until all products are test fitted and blue printed. Then we disassemble, deck, clean, reassemble, then pressure test.

I would love to get enough interest on our bolt-on products to get the go head to dig into the block/cylinder head!

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
What mods are you guys doing to the mustang head? I'm not impressed with this motors VE, but I'm told I should be, lol.

OP
maperformance

maperformance

Thread Starter #13
What mods are you guys doing to the mustang head? I'm not impressed with this motors VE, but I'm told I should be, lol.
VE on the EBM 2.3 or the FiST 1.6? The VE is pretty poor on the 2.3 in factory form that is for sure. Lot's of boost to make any power out of it.

The cylinder head posted got our in-house porting treatment (we do EVO, Subaru, Honda, SRT4, and GTR heads pretty regularly). Then we did +1mm valves, bronze valve guides, viton valve seals, 75/175lb springs, and titanium retainers.

You can see the flow numbers HERE

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I meant the 1.6L
Even the "big dog" turbo's are kind of running a lot of boost to make good power. I've used 27-28psi to make 280-285whp. Granted the turbo is too small on the exhaust side and really, too small everywhere, but 27+ psi is a lot no matter what. Even the big turbo guys ( ATP and DHM ) are running 20++ psi on turbo's that honda's wouldn't be running nearly as boost with to make the same power. We sorta have it rough being displacement and rpm limited.

OP
maperformance

maperformance

Thread Starter #15
I meant the 1.6L
Even the "big dog" turbo's are kind of running a lot of boost to make good power. I've used 27-28psi to make 280-285whp. Granted the turbo is too small on the exhaust side and really, too small everywhere, but 27+ psi is a lot no matter what. Even the big turbo guys ( ATP and DHM ) are running 20++ psi on turbo's that honda's wouldn't be running nearly as boost with to make the same power. We sorta have it rough being displacement and rpm limited.
Displacement is a factor on why the 1.6 isn't making that great of power on "big boost". If it was a 2.0 or 2.3 and kept the similar head it would be producing much higher numbers. To be honest, the DHM car that is making 375whp is running a GTX2867R. That isn't that big of a turbo, so the boost they are running is about right for the displacement of the FIST engine. It fits right into the optimal efficiency range of the turbo, and it flows about 40lb/min at that level. Boost level is a good tool to use to tell you how efficient an engine is, if you know how much air you are moving. If say we were running a Precision 5858 (62lb/min) on a 1.6L and it wasn't making around 430whp @ 20psi then I would say the engine is inefficient and there is some head work to do.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Russ/DHM said the head was good, just I'm used to seeing B16 honda motors making a lot of power on less boost, but I guess the catch is.... They have 8500rpm, so they can use a bigger turbo and over course 1.6L at 7,000 rpm vs 1.6L at 8500rpm is two different things. Thing is.... That honda 1.6L was made starting in 1987, lol. Guess power just used to come too easy with the 2.4L srt4 motor...

OP
maperformance

maperformance

Thread Starter #18
Russ/DHM said the head was good, just I'm used to seeing B16 honda motors making a lot of power on less boost, but I guess the catch is.... They have 8500rpm, so they can use a bigger turbo and over course 1.6L at 7,000 rpm vs 1.6L at 8500rpm is two different things. Thing is.... That honda 1.6L was made starting in 1987, lol. Guess power just used to come too easy with the 2.4L srt4 motor...
I think you might be looking at it differently than me, a B16 with the same size turbo our 1.6L comes with would make similar power. I know from personal experience that a GT28 Disco Potato would make low 300's on a B16 on 93oct, which is very similar to what the Fiesta makes. Add E85 to the mix with that B16/Disco Potato combo and you make about 380-390. I don't think we are too far off, but I agree we do lack RPM.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I'm with ya. Just.... The B16 was cast in 1987, doesn't have DFI, doesn't have intake and exhaust VVT, and its close to 30 years old. We have far far far great engine management, and they are making give or take the same power. I factor the RPM because they can use a larger turbo and still have the same 4000rpm powerband, while we'd lose 1500rpm with the same size. Guess I'm just not happy to "tie" with a 30year old honda motor, we should be well ahead, it just doesn't seem like we are for all our advantages ( at least on paper ).

Don't get me wrong, lol, I'm running 25-26psi daily on 93oct and 27-28.5psi on E40 on what it really close to a bone stock car, so I'm happy with that, B16 owners have a water fall of things to address before making their first drag strip pull with a turbo, we can just touch up a few things and let her eat :)

OP
maperformance

maperformance

Thread Starter #20
I'm with ya. Just.... The B16 was cast in 1987, doesn't have DFI, doesn't have intake and exhaust VVT, and its close to 30 years old. We have far far far great engine management, and they are making give or take the same power. I factor the RPM because they can use a larger turbo and still have the same 4000rpm powerband, while we'd lose 1500rpm with the same size. Guess I'm just not happy to "tie" with a 30year old honda motor, we should be well ahead, it just doesn't seem like we are for all our advantages ( at least on paper ).

Don't get me wrong, lol, I'm running 25-26psi daily on 93oct and 27-28.5psi on E40 on what it really close to a bone stock car, so I'm happy with that, B16 owners have a water fall of things to address before making their first drag strip pull with a turbo, we can just touch up a few things and let her eat :)
One of the reasons the Honda is so efficient is because of their cam design. It was intended to be more aggressive from the start, where as the Fiesta is meant to deliver low end grunt and be efficient. It still is an ECOboost in the end haha. Honda was way ahead of the game, look at the 1989-1991 Honda CRX HF, I used to have one completely bone stock that would get 52-55mpg. Today, cars that are designed to get as much MPG as possible still can't compete. Not until you get into a Diesel VW do you see MPG like that. Honda is just a different breed, that is why I personally own a S2000 today, along with my Fiesta and VW Tiguan LOL.