Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

MAPerformance cat-back review thread!

Trader history for Coolnezzz (0)

Hey all, figured I'd start one up here in the MAPerformance sub-forum. For all those that have purchased this exhaust, please feel free to contribute to this thread if you would like!

Having followed MAP's threads and their blog since they first joined the forums I have been very interested in the progress they have been making in the development of after-market parts for the FiST, most notably the cat-back exhaust. This past July I decided to finally spend some cash on upgrades for my car and did quite a bit of research in doing so. My plan had originally been to upgrade to a larger turbo sometime next year so I had begun to plan my upgrades accordingly and ended up choosing the Injen 3" cat-back due to the supposed better flow of the 3 inch design. In actuality, after having it on my car for 2 and a half months I quickly grew weary of the drone this exhaust exhibited (in combination with my Mountune downpipe) when cruising on the freeway, something I do up to 200 miles a week for work. I started reading more and more about MAPs upcoming cat-back and decided that I had to have it as Adam specifically mentioned how much effort they put into eliminating the 3-4k drone.

Well the time finally came for me to make the decision to purchase the MAP exhaust and I'm sure glad that I did. Once purchased it took roughly a week before it arrived at my doorstep and was on my car within the following 60 minutes with the help of a good friend. Due to how eager I was to get it installed I didn't take the best or the most pictures, but I assure you the build quality on this exhaust is freaking fantastic. In comparison to the Injen exhaust with its flange and bolt/nut styled couplings between the 3 individual pieces, the MAP exhaust with its sleeve joints has made adjusting its positioning one of the easiest tasks I've performed on any of my cars. Once everything was situated using my Cobb hangers I had absolutely perfect alignment of the beautiful dual exhaust tips protruding from the rear of the car.

One of my favorite aspects of this exhaust so far has been the excellent skills of the talented person that welded the beast up, the welds are just amazing to behold and are of a higher caliber than any of the after-market designs that I've personally used up until this point. In addition to the welds, I'm also especially fond of the dual tips as opposed to the single tip of the Injen exhaust I just came from. It just suits this car better and looks much closer to stock, I really like them. As for the sound, it's definitely unique and must be heard in person to truly appreciate the almost exotic tone this thing produces. Over the past few days I have started to hear the wonderful noise it makes when the wastegate opens up and it really sounds awesome when you get on the gas. While the Injen exhaust was deep and drone-y, the MAP counterpart, while having a higher note, sounds even better on deceleration with the pops and gurgles it makes in conjunction with my Mountune catted downpipe. I get a smile on my face every time I hear it!

All in all I feel that this is one of the most, if not the highest, quality exhausts you can get for the FiST. While I cannot speak of any power gains as I have not done any before and after logging, I mainly got this for the great sound, fit, and finish it provides and MAP really knocked it out of the park. I've had several people make similar comments in that my car sounds much better now (as well as actually being livable on the highway again). So cheers to Adam and everyone else at MAP for the hard work they've been putting into the development of excellent parts for our awesome little cars!

Have some pictures!

And a video of the first start up!

[video=youtube;6rQ7o1hundQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rQ7o1hundQ[/video]

J2FoRS

I didn't know we could create threads on vendor threads lol or I woulda put mine in here too. Ah well :p

SICKESSS-ST

..........As for the sound, it's definitely unique and must be heard in person to truly appreciate the almost exotic tone this thing produces.........

Looks and sounds nice. I do agree with you, it should be heard in person. So...............why don't you join us on the drive we are doing on the 11th so we can all hear it in person!

OP
Coolnezzz
Thread Starter #6
Looks and sounds nice. I do agree with you, it should be heard in person. So...............why don't you join us on the drive we are doing on the 11th so we can all hear it in person!
I'd love to but I'm working this weekend. :( One of these days I'll get out to a SoCal meetup!

SICKESSS-ST

I'd love to but I'm working this weekend. :( One of these days I'll get out to a SoCal meetup!

Cough, cough, cough. I think you might be getting sick. [thumb]

I hope to get out to Cali next year as well and meet up with some customers. I have a lot of guys out there!

Cool! Bring your FiST! [driving]

Here's my review from another post--

Overview:
The exhaust is fantastic. It looks great, is well built, and sounds nice without being overbearing. On my 30 mile drive home from the installation, the aspect that stood out most was the additional power. It could be a confirmation bias, but I felt a more power from 2500 to 5500 rpms. With Adam’s customer service, the quality of the product, and the reasonable price, I fully recommend the MAPerformance catback exhaust.

Details:
First, although it has been said many times on these forums, Adam’s customer service is the best. I started off with a tune from Adam (which is the best). He answers emails very quickly and thoroughly. I am new to turbo cars, and he has greatly increased my knowledge.

The exhaust was shipped on a Tuesday and arrived on a Friday. It was well packed. It is in three pieces with two brackets. This means it even can fit in our back seat!

thumb_IMG_6457_1024.jpg

I had the exhaust professionally installed (Secondary plug for Passion Performance in Cashiers, NC. Great people, good workmanship, and reasonable price). The installation took less than an hour. After it was finished, the guys in the shop brought me down and showed me the exhaust while it was on the lift. It looks great! And they commented on the craftsmanship of the exhaust, specifically the welds.

thumb_IMG_6462_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_6461_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_6460_1024.jpg

The two minor things they told me: (1) the exhaust hangers are not good. I will probably buy betters one soon. The exhaust can move easily on the stock hangers. It can also shake a bit. (2) They said they had to cut the stock exhaust in half in order it without having to remove other portions of the back end of the car. I don’t know if this was correct or not. I didn’t mind having the stock one cut, but this is something others may want to be warned about.

The 30 mile drive home from the shop on a curvy mountain road was absolutely amazing. If not for the few slow drivers I was stuck behind, it would have been the most fun I have had with my FiST. The additional power is easily noticeable. Once the car hits 2500 rpms with about 1/3 of the trotter, my head flings back more than it has before. Granted, this is also because of Adam’s awesome tune, but the exhaust felt more powerful over just the tune. The sound is perfect for what I am looking for. I have had extremely loud exhausts in the past. I drove cross country in a civic si and I couldn’t talk to my passenger on the highway because they couldn’t hear me. I never want that again. I want performance with a nice sound that is reasonable. Below 3000 rpms, I couldn’t really hear the exhaust over the symposer. Above 3000 rpm it has a nice sound without being overbearing. It is exactly what I wanted. From the outside, it sounds like a performance car without being a car that will piss off your neighbors when you come home late at night (like the celica that lives down the street from me).

If the above parameters are anywhere near what you are looking for in an exhaust, you must purchase the MAP catback. You will love it. After a few weeks (or longer since my FiST is not my daily driver), I will write a long term follow up. But for now, I could not be more satisfied. I look forward to continued business with Adam and MAPerformance.

Just got this in a box yesterday...

IMG_8681.jpg

I bought it used from none other than Adam himself. I had a few questions on CBEs and it happens that he was planning on selling his to move onto his next build project. It sure pays to talk to your tuner.

I'll share more once installed.

MPA

I have the MAP CBE as well, and love the tone of it. The Clamps they use to hold it all together are really nice.

JasonHaven

I'm heavily leaning towards it as a nice middle ground exhaust, seems to be aggressive, but not annoy my neighbors aggressive haha (tight quarters in DC).

maperformance

Thanks for all the love on our exhaust!
[MENTION=3033]JasonHaven[/MENTION] If you are looking for an exhaust that is not going to be loud idling in the driveway, or waiting to get into the White House, this is it! Quiet at idle, and when you put the pedal to the floor, it comes alive to let everyone know who you are!

I have some initial feedback now...

Install
Was straight forward. Biggest pain is jacking up the car and cutting the stock exhaust. I borrowed a chain cutter type tool from Autozone ($50 deposit refunded fully upon tool return). After cutting the exhaust I did have to remove what I'll call a mid-body brace plate, as I didn't have the necessary clearance to rotate the front exhaust piece out and off. Not a problem though. To bolt the mid-pipe back onto the downpipe I did add a single washer to each bolt. The MAP fittings work like a charm.

Sound
Definitely deeper than stock. Nice. I have the symposer delete, so I can definitely hear a bit of drone just over 3K rpm. This dies down as it approaches 4K. Above that is as expected...very nice. And you can hear a nice pop here and there when coasting after a downshift to 2nd.

Performance
I currently have a drop-in filter, and AP with Tune+ base 91 Octane. I have definitely felt a drop in the feeling of torque delivery. Its possible that it has shifted to another range in the rpm, but there seems to be less torque down where there was before and thus less torque-steer as well. Its like the freer-flowing exhaust has tamed the beast. Definitely not crippled it, so don't get me wrong. I know Adam (Tune+) equates restriction to torque, so I wouldn't be surprised this is the case. I got the CBE used and I've run it for over 100 miles now, so I am sure the system has adjusted to its presence. Without dyno testing before and after I have no numbers to go by. I do have before/after datalogs, but those seem to be showing very little delta in values. I'd love to better understand what is going on, but rest assured I am happy with where things stand for now.

Next I'll be adding a Pumaspeed induction hose to the mix. Let's see what happens then. If less restriction is less torque I wonder if adding freer-flowing intake will decrease torque further. We'll see.

I may be splitting hairs here. But all this sh!t is fun. [hihi]

I have some initial feedback now...

Install
Was straight forward. Biggest pain is jacking up the car and cutting the stock exhaust. I borrowed a chain cutter type tool from Autozone ($50 deposit refunded fully upon tool return). After cutting the exhaust I did have to remove what I'll call a mid-body brace plate, as I didn't have the necessary clearance to rotate the front exhaust piece out and off. Not a problem though. To bolt the mid-pipe back onto the downpipe I did add a single washer to each bolt. The MAP fittings work like a charm.

Sound
Definitely deeper than stock. Nice. I have the symposer delete, so I can definitely hear a bit of drone just over 3K rpm. This dies down as it approaches 4K. Above that is as expected...very nice. And you can hear a nice pop here and there when coasting after a downshift to 2nd.

Performance
I currently have a drop-in filter, and AP with Tune+ base 91 Octane. I have definitely felt a drop in the feeling of torque delivery. Its possible that it has shifted to another range in the rpm, but there seems to be less torque down where there was before and thus less torque-steer as well. Its like the freer-flowing exhaust has tamed the beast. Definitely not crippled it, so don't get me wrong. I know Adam (Tune+) equates restriction to torque, so I wouldn't be surprised this is the case. I got the CBE used and I've run it for over 100 miles now, so I am sure the system has adjusted to its presence. Without dyno testing before and after I have no numbers to go by. I do have before/after datalogs, but those seem to be showing very little delta in values. I'd love to better understand what is going on, but rest assured I am happy with where things stand for now.

Next I'll be adding a Pumaspeed induction hose to the mix. Let's see what happens then. If less restriction is less torque I wonder if adding freer-flowing intake will decrease torque further. We'll see.

I may be splitting hairs here. But all this sh!t is fun. [hihi]

Interesting review. This is the first one I've seen that says there is a feeling of less torque. I also have a tune from tune+ with the 91 tune (which is amazing) and I've been waiting 3 weeks for the same exhaust which is on back order. Starting to question if I made a good purchase because I'm not a numbers guy, I'm all about feel and the butt dyno. I definitely don't want to feel like I lose power to just make more noise.

JasonHaven

Interesting review. This is the first one I've seen that says there is a feeling of less torque. I also have a tune from tune+ with the 91 tune (which is amazing) and I've been waiting 3 weeks for the same exhaust which is on back order. Starting to question if I made a good purchase because I'm not a numbers guy, I'm all about feel and the butt dyno. I definitely don't want to feel like I lose power to just make more noise.
Out of all the reviews, and all the MAP exhausts that have been sold, this is the first remotely negative review, like you said. Also, Adam still highly recommends this exhaust for the FiST, and his recommendations are pretty well rounded in that he doesn't just suggest MAP for every part (in fact, I think the exhaust is the only thing he explicitly recommends from MAP). I think you'll be fine. :)

maperformance

We love videos!!! Anybody have some to share? :) I am always looking for more to share and show people who are curious about what they may be like in different climates and conditions!

J2FoRS

We love videos!!! Anybody have some to share? :) I am always looking for more to share and show people who are curious about what they may be like in different climates and conditions!
Are posted in my initial review but here's mine in case you haven't seen them.

Overview post install on lift:
https://youtu.be/4_xX2iziub8

Sound vid:
https://youtu.be/Snczc6iCSZc

Also in response to the other review above, I've been running my MAP CBE for months now and I travel alot of highway km and experience zero drone. I also never have experienced the "loss of torque" feeling on the butt dyno, if anything it's the opposite because the atmosphere created by a throaty exhaust gives the user the impression of in fact going faster on accelerator due to the feedback from the CBE. I have no before or after numbers either, but months later I can still say I am 110% pleased with my MAP CBE. Not disagreeing with the review, only stating my own views. Exhausts are very personal taste kind of upgrades.

Drone is also a very touchy thing. I define drone as the constant rate humming/droning that occurs at a high enough decibel while maintaining a specific rpm to effect a less than pleasant nagging sensation in your ears. There is a large difference between simple exhaust note noise and "drone" in which many are unable to discern the difference when reviewing exhausts frim any company or for any car. In my opinion the MAP CBE does have a slightly higher exhaust note than the stock exhaust while cruising highway (100km-120km/h) but mine personally has zero "drone."

My 2 cents.