Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mazdaspeed 2: FiST Swap

Hi guys. I'm planning on swapping the FiST 1.6 and 6 spd into my mazda 2. It shares a chassis which makes it almost like st swapping a non turbo fiesta. I'm hoping it'll be simple enough besides electronics.. We share just about the same engine and tranny mounts anyways.

the idea of having to configure something for the reverse lock out mechanism is throwing me through a loop rn.. or maybe since i dont have any obstructions in my shifter it'd just be a far left reverse gear? in a 5 spd the reverse at the bottom right is just convenient. at any rate, I'm in over my head.

...anyone care to drop hints before I run into the issues blindly?

Also, I'm in Massachusetts. If anybody has tuners that can program standalone systems or anyone who can help make the endeavor successful, your help would be much appreciated.

OP
S
Thread Starter #2
Also, just for sh1ts and giggles, I looked up the bcm units from both the fiest st and mazda 2.. they look like twins 🙄

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
I always wanted to do this. Hopefully you are starting with a manual window/manual lock chassis. Buy a whole Fiesta ST - you'll need it. I'm not too far from you and have some stock bits but not too much.

Hi guys. I'm planning on swapping the FiST 1.6 and 6 spd into my mazda 2. It shares a chassis which makes it almost like st swapping a non turbo fiesta. I'm hoping it'll be simple enough besides electronics.. We share just about the same engine and tranny mounts anyways.

the idea of having to configure something for the reverse lock out mechanism is throwing me through a loop rn.. or maybe since i dont have any obstructions in my shifter it'd just be a far left reverse gear? in a 5 spd the reverse at the bottom right is just convenient. at any rate, I'm in over my head.

Also, I'm in Massachusetts. If anybody has tuners that can program standalone systems or anyone who can help make the endeavor successful, your help would be much appreciated.
I like the idea! Should be a cool sleeper when its done.

Take a look at this thread as its similar idea (tho 1.6 EB into a sedan chassis) to get some ideas and tips to start off with too.

https://www.fiestastforum.com/threa...the-new-member-post-i-am-not-the-first.28962/

Last edited:
The electronics will be a pain. I've looked into ST swapping my manual fiesta SE and it seems like I either need to buy all the under dash and cabin electronics to work together or get a stand alone ECU. I'm not opposed to engine swaps as I've done multiple with hondas. But for the cost to effort I'd rather just K swap the fiesta instead of ST swapping it.

I agree tho, this swap would be sick in that chassis when it's done.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yes, this is a really cool idea/project, albeit a painful one. [8D] [driving][thumb]

I always liked just how much smaller, and more compact the Mazda 2s appeared to be than the Fiestas, even though they are very similar in overall dimensions.

My beef with Mazda is that they did not build a modern day 323GTX out of a 2, replete with a 1.6 turbo powerplant and a lightweight AWD system.

OP
S
Thread Starter #9
I like the idea! Should be a cool sleeper when its done.

Take a look at this thread as its similar idea (tho 1.6 EB into a sedan chassis) to get some ideas and tips to start off with too.
hey. I don't see the other thread you're referring to. Am I missing something?

RSTSpeedHaus in Sandown NH will love this and the guy has a donor fist with some leftover parts.
He might be able to point you in the right direction for the electronics stuff

OP
S
Thread Starter #12
The electronics will be a pain. I've looked into ST swapping my manual fiesta SE and it seems like I either need to buy all the under dash and cabin electronics to work together or get a stand alone ECU. I'm not opposed to engine swaps as I've done multiple with hondas. But for the cost to effort I'd rather just K swap the fiesta instead of ST swapping it.

you're a sick, sick man lmao 🤣 since you mentioned it, there's a jamaican on YouTube who did just that on a mazda 2. think he mated it to a 5speed out of a Celica.

but thanks for the heads up on the electronics dilemma.

Erick_V

This has actually been done by a guy out in California. His name is rxgeo on Instagram and it's finished and he's doing some racing in it soon

http://instagr.am/p/CrZwRjYL994/ View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CrZwRjYL994/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MTIyMzRjYmRlZg==

This has actually been done by a guy out in California. His name is rxgeo on Instagram and it's finished and he's doing some racing in it soon

http://instagr.am/p/CrZwRjYL994/ View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CrZwRjYL994/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MTIyMzRjYmRlZg==
Yup, I've been following him since before that swap. He said he was going to be making a swap kit for the fiesta which I would 100% do. But I haven't seen him or other post any products so I'm not sure how that's coming along

Erick_V

Yup, I've been following him since before that swap. He said he was going to be making a swap kit for the fiesta which I would 100% do. But I haven't seen him or other post any products so I'm not sure how that's coming along
I have messaged him a few times and the shop that did the swap was supposed to release a mount kit for it. A K-swap would be perfect for people looking for NA power at 230whp in a class like Gridife Club TR (Track Rat) or above that with a stock block w turbo attached handling 500whp in Street Class. I'd rather K-swap than build a block, could go way further for the money

I have messaged him a few times and the shop that did the swap was supposed to release a mount kit for it. A K-swap would be perfect for people looking for NA power at 230whp in a class like Gridife Club TR (Track Rat) or above that with a stock block w turbo attached handling 500whp in Street Class. I'd rather K-swap than build a block, could go way further for the money
If the kit does get released, I will probably do an NA, bolt on K24. That way engine replacements will only be 1k and simple.

Erick_V

K24 sounds awesome but aren’t they significantly heavier than our 1.6?
Surprisingly not that much more. ST engine is 251lbs dry (no accessories) via the weight thread and found this on a honda forum when searching for the K24 weight:

"K24A1 engine + intake + exhaust manifold + alternator + starter + intermediate shaft = 283 lbs. This does not include the flywheel or clutch (I didn't receive them with the engine), nor mounts or any other accessories."

Sounds like they would be similar in weight with all the components attached

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Surprisingly not that much more. ST engine is 251lbs dry (no accessories) via the weight thread and found this on a honda forum when searching for the K24 weight:

"K24A1 engine + intake + exhaust manifold + alternator + starter + intermediate shaft = 283 lbs. This does not include the flywheel or clutch (I didn't receive them with the engine), nor mounts or any other accessories."

Sounds like they would be similar in weight with all the components attached
That’s not bad at all

OP
S
Thread Starter #20
guys, thanks for being awesome and insightful. threads die all the time & I thought I'd give this one a proper send off.

My mazda needed an engine, a transmission, and new suspension. I was lucky enough to find a guy selling the motor & trans from a 14 st for $700 but truly everything after that was out of pocket and up front for me to test out building a dream.

I'm in my mid 20s with good credit.. I decided to finance a new car instead of build one :/ not as fun, but a financially sound decision.