Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Metallic clicking/rubbing noise from rear wheels/brakes when brakes not applied

(2015 Fiesta ST180)

Hey guys. I had a noticeable metallic rubbing / clicking noise coming from my rear brakes a couple of weeks ago. It would quieten down after a few stops but was still noticeable. It would become louder and more frequent if I slightly applied the brakes.

I suspected it was a sticking calliper and when it went in last week for a service, they put it down as warped rotors on both sides. They replaced pads and rotors and the noise had gone.

I woke up the next day and drove my car and the metallic clicking noise was back. But after one or two stops it had COMPLETELY gone... before it would never go away but just get less noisy. Now there is no noise what so ever off the rear brakes although if the car has been sitting over night and it RAINS, the metallic rubbing / clicking noise returns when brakes AREN'T applied and then stops after a few brakes.

Sounds similar to this vvv
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UsQ8W7994g&list=LL&index=108

They re-greased slider pins at service so confused at what else could be causing the issue?

Any ideas what it could be?

Last edited:

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
(2015 Fiesta ST180)

Hey guys. I had a noticeable metallic rubbing / clicking noise coming from my rear brakes a couple of weeks ago. It would quieten down after a few stops but was still noticeable. It would become louder and more frequent if I slightly applied the brakes.

I suspected it was a sticking calliper and when it went in last week for a service, they put it down as warped rotors on both sides. They replaced pads and rotors and the noise had gone.

I woke up the next day and drove my car and the metallic clicking noise was back. But after one or two stops it had COMPLETELY gone... before it would never go away but just get less noisy. Now there is no noise what so ever off the rear brakes although if the car has been sitting over night and it RAINS, the metallic rubbing / clicking noise returns when brakes AREN'T applied and then stops after a few brakes.

Any ideas what it could be?
Could be something to do with the abs

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Any way to confirm or rule that possibility out?
If you ever hold the brake do you feel pulsing? Is it worse when the rain comes on? The pulsing is abs making sure the brakes don't stick but if you have a bad speed sensor back there it may be giving abs issues. Also you could try checking the bearings for noise by lifting the car up and just rolling the wheel on the car. Unfortunately for the abs, you need a good code reader to pull abs codes. Can't do it with ap

OP
C
Thread Starter #5
If you ever hold the brake do you feel pulsing? Is it worse when the rain comes on? The pulsing is abs making sure the brakes don't stick but if you have a bad speed sensor back there it may be giving abs issues. Also you could try checking the bearings for noise by lifting the car up and just rolling the wheel on the car. Unfortunately for the abs, you need a good code reader to pull abs codes. Can't do it with ap

Nope, no pulsing or ABS light or anything. It's a very faint metallic rubbing. It also doesn't affect braking in any way. It sounds as if the pad is rubbing the rotor a little too much although if the caliper was truly sticking then the sound should be persistent and not go away after a few stops?

The sound is only audible if it has been sitting in the rain over night, basically allowing a build up of rust which I suspect is making the noise. But not sure exactly what is causing it to rub (if it actually is rubbing)

(Also when I say clicking, I mean like a metallic rub sound at an interval, so at the same point of every wheel rotation in theory.)

I've added a video to the original post to give you an idea of what it sounds like

Last edited:

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Nope, no pulsing or ABS light or anything. It's a very faint metallic rubbing. It also doesn't affect braking in any way. It sounds as if the pad is rubbing the rotor a little too much although if the caliper was truly sticking then the sound should be persistent and not go away after a few stops?

The sound is only audible if it has been sitting in the rain over night, basically allowing a build up of rust which I suspect is making the noise. But not sure exactly what is causing it to rub (if it actually is rubbing)

(Also when I say clicking, I mean like a metallic rub sound at an interval, so at the same point of every wheel rotation in theory.)

I've added a video to the original post to give you an idea of what it sounds like
Well we have semi floating brake pads so it is possible it's just slightly rubbing on the rotor. Until it causes a performance issue I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I agree with what @Rocketst said. I get those faint noises occasionally, every time has been a rock that was kicked up and managed to wedge itself in between the disc and dust shield. I usually just throw it in reverse for a bit and it goes away.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
I have Wilwoods so my recollection of the OEM brakes is hazy - but make sure that the pins have the clips - otherwise, the pads make move around and rattle.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Its the rust edge on the outside of the rotor* They all develop it when the age and degrade/wear. the new noise is most likely due to pad hardware being re-used if they didn't replace with the repair. Or sometimes the New hardware needs to be adjusted so it doesn't drag against the new pads and rotors due to being "universal" with some brake pad kits. That is made to fit multiple vehicles of the same model but may be slightly different from each other.

Last edited:
It's not a constant drag, I can hear it pulsing. Is the rotor bent? Probably not as the old and new rotor have the same symptoms. Not sitting flush on the hub? The quality makes it hard to see. I think there is some discoloration (drivers side) around part of the rotor the moves at the pace of the sound.

Having that sound and it going away after a few stops on old and new pads/rotors is strange indeed. I think the caliper may be sticking some. But, I'm not sure how that exactly explains why it changes after a few stops... maybe things are warming up. If not caliper, maybe a brake line is internally bad.

It won't fix any damage that's already done, but it bears asking. How many miles and have you ever changed/bled the brake fluid? 2015 is a long time to rack up miles.

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
After watching the video, I really do think that caliper needs to be changed. I tried everything, new axles, knuckles, bearings hubs on my front wheels. Looks like the noise is your front driver which is the exact side I had a problem with as well. If the pins are greased (as mine were, I do my own brake maintenance) then you have a caliper that has failed internally. I'm not sure why mine had failed as far as I can see these calipers are well made and don't have many issues. With all this being said I bought whooshes brake kit after I did all the above stuff and I've had no issues whatsoever. Question though, has your car ever been hit on that side?

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
My car started singing this same song about 2 weeks ago. Also driver side. The car has 60k on it. I rotated my tires yesterday to start to isolate the cause but still doing it. I have new rotors and pads waiting to go on. I guess I'll install them earlier than planned.

OP
C
Thread Starter #16
After watching the video, I really do think that caliper needs to be changed. I tried everything, new axles, knuckles, bearings hubs on my front wheels. Looks like the noise is your front driver which is the exact side I had a problem with as well. If the pins are greased (as mine were, I do my own brake maintenance) then you have a caliper that has failed internally. I'm not sure why mine had failed as far as I can see these calipers are well made and don't have many issues. With all this being said I bought whooshes brake kit after I did all the above stuff and I've had no issues whatsoever. Question though, has your car ever been hit on that side?

That's not my video. It's just there to show a sound similar to the issue I have. I stripped and cleaned the pins and re-lubed them today so will see if that fixes stuff.