Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Misfire/Ignition Issue?

Erick_V

Hello guys, have an issue and was looking for some feedback before purchasing parts I don't need. Was supposed to do autocross today but ran into an issue yesterday I wasn't able to fix. Was driving to work and the car felt fine. The car accelerated and hit boost like it always has. Then I got stuck in some serious traffic, 1st gear stop and go for about 30 minutes. Finally exited, went to do a pull and the car sputtered and hardly accelerated. The car drives normally in every other was other than WOT. Was on the way home from work last night, rolled onto throttle, hit 20psi then it did it again. This morning I pulled the plugs (NGK 6510 step colder), they looked normal, should have taken a pic to be sure, made sure they were gapped to .026 and reinstalled. Still have the issue.

Got a video so you can hear the issue and I have logs but can't upload a spreadsheet here?

Mods:
Whoosh Catted DP/MBRP CBE
Damond OCC
Cobb Filter/Whoosh for the rest of the intake
Whoosh FMIC
E30 from Stratified
NGK 6510 Plugs, about 10 months old

Nothing has changed on my setup and have been running e30 for almost a year. I occasionally run a tank of 93 to clear the tank of E and start over

Attachments

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hello guys, have an issue and was looking for some feedback before purchasing parts I don't need. Was supposed to do autocross today but ran into an issue yesterday I wasn't able to fix. Was driving to work and the car felt fine. The car accelerated and hit boost like it always has. Then I got stuck in some serious traffic, 1st gear stop and go for about 30 minutes. Finally exited, went to do a pull and the car sputtered and hardly accelerated. The car drives normally in every other was other than WOT. Was on the way home from work last night, rolled onto throttle, hit 20psi then it did it again. This morning I pulled the plugs (NGK 6510 step colder), they looked normal, should have taken a pic to be sure, made sure they were gapped to .026 and reinstalled. Still have the issue.

Got a video so you can hear the issue and I have logs but can't upload a spreadsheet here?

Mods:
Whoosh Catted DP/MBRP CBE
Damond OCC
Cobb Filter/Whoosh for the rest of the intake
Whoosh FMIC
E30 from Stratified
NGK 6510 Plugs, about 10 months old

Nothing has changed on my setup and have been running e30 for almost a year. I occasionally run a tank of 93 to clear the tank of E and start over
What was the temperature outside?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
E

Erick_V

Thread Starter #5
No codes popped up last night or this morning. I'll check again. I'll look over the lines but I haven't touched the intake system in months

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
My guess is you Heat soaked the intercooler and the ECM decided to not let you let it RIP to protect itself.

OP
E

Erick_V

Thread Starter #7
My guess is you Heat soaked the intercooler and the ECM decided to not let you let it RIP to protect itself.

Interesting. I'll try disconnecting the battery then reloading the tune to see if that does anything.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The vehicle just need to essentially cool off....especially the intercooler itself. High heat....A/c running = heat soaked intercooler ...plus your in stop and go traffic.

Stop and go traffic in 105 degree temps is the perfect equation for a Heat Soak issue. Add to that the stock radiator having developed a bit of a reputation for being a bit marginal in cooling and it's also possible that you may also have had engine temps high enough to trigger a safety scheme in the ECU. I would suggest you let the car cool off completely and set your alarm for 4:30 AM and take it out for a test drive when it will be somewhat cool.

OP
E

Erick_V

Thread Starter #10
I originally had the issue on Friday evening around 4PM, I got out of work early around 8:30PM and when I drove home it still had misfires. I ran home, changed, went out, got home around 12AM and didn't move the car again until around 9:30AM. Still had the issue. How long does the ECU take to pull itself out of "limp mode"?

About an hour ago I decided to reset the ECU via AP and test it out again. Still happens. Weirdly enough when I reset the ECU and was sitting there idling I noticed it said the outside temp was 111 degrees. After checking my phone it says 82 degrees. My coolant temp also got to 193 just idling in 82 degree weather, it hardly went down after driving. I think it settled to 18x~ when I got home. Seems normal-ish and the coolant tank is at a normal level as well. I'll check these things again in the AM.

I'm going to disconnect the battery in the morning for 15-30 minutes to see if it'll fully reset the ECU. Also, I'll see about getting new plugs. My plugs around 10 months old maybe 12k miles on them. They aren't old but I may as well change them. I just remembered that I got a new battery a couple days before the issue started. The car ran fine afterwards and I don't think it caused anything but figured I'd throw that in there just in case.