Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Misfire with colder plugs?

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Installed colder plugs before going in for tuning at Cob, Gapped the to .024. Now after cruising for sometime, when I go WOT I get a series of misfires up top. This happens usually only once as afterwards the car pulls just fine. Only thing I can come up with is either the plugs aren't hot enough for my setup or the tuning is off and its running really rich. Any input? Plugs are ITV22's

It is my understanding that plugs need to be gaped to .025 - .026

OP
re-rx7

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
a lot of different factors to think about. gna pull them tonight

A small gap can cause a small and weak spark that will not properly ignite the fuel. Over time this can cause the plugs to foul eventually not producing a spark. I am running the same plugs, but gapped at .025 and have no problems, so I doubt they are too cold for your car. I have even thought about increasing it to .026. If you are using an older tool to gap the plugs it could be worn down and making the gap even smaller. If you accidentally drop one into the head you can decrease the gap even further. Yes there are many things can can cause a misfire, but it has been my experience that it is the simplest things are often the solution.

I have one step colder plugs gapped at .017. Check for hairline cracks in the porcelain.

OP
re-rx7

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
You didnt hit any of them against the engine when installing or just drop them into the head did you?
I lower them in with long needle nose
What's your afr when going WOT?
pretty rich. mid to low 11's

A small gap can cause a small and weak spark that will not properly ignite the fuel. Over time this can cause the plugs to foul eventually not producing a spark. I am running the same plugs, but gapped at .025 and have no problems, so I doubt they are too cold for your car. I have even thought about increasing it to .026. If you are using an older tool to gap the plugs it could be worn down and making the gap even smaller. If you accidentally drop one into the head you can decrease the gap even further. Yes there are many things can can cause a misfire, but it has been my experience that it is the simplest things are often the solution.
To far and out and you will suffer from spark plug blow out. Ill re-gap to .026.

Read that last night just didn't have time to pull plugs.

OP
re-rx7

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
Sounds like I have a gapping problem. Cyborg runs well lol just after leisurely driving it the first hit almost always misses.