Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

GB Mishimoto Fiesta ST Oil Cooler Pre-Sale!

Trader history for mishimoto (0)

mishimoto1

Hey guys,

We are finally at the point in development where we can launch a discounted pre-sale for those interested in picking up our kit. If you have not been following our development, check out more information on the kit within the thread below.

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...Stop-The-Fiesta!-Mishimoto-Oil-Cooler-R-amp-D!

Pre-Sale Link!!

Mishimoto Ford Fiesta ST Oil Cooler Kit!

Pre-Sale Price:

Non-Thermostatic: $454.95

Thermostatic: $494.95

MSRP:

Non-Thermostatic: $585.00

Thermostatic: $635.00

Pre-Sale Expiration Date: 9/11/2015

Estimated Ship Date: 9/11/2015

Product Specs

• Direct-fit for the 2014+ Ford Fiesta ST
  • Reduces oil temperatures by 35?F (19.5?C)
  • Minimal pressure drop
  • Application-specific mounting brackets
  • Oil cooler location does not interfere with aftermarket air intakes
  • Works with stock and most aftermarket intercooler kits
  • Pre-made stainless steel braided oil lines with durable -AN fittings
  • Billet aluminum oil sandwich plate
  • Designed to easily bypass the stock liquid-to-liquid oil cooler
  • 19-row stacked-plate oil cooler for optimal fluid temperature reduction
  • Thermostatic and Non-thermostatic options available
  • Cooler available in either Sleek Silver or Stealth Black
  • Increases oil capacity by .65qt
  • Mishimoto Lifetime Warranty

Images

Product R&D
http://engineering.mishimoto.com/?cat=316

Tech Specs

Pre-Sale Link!!

Feel free to follow-up with any questions regarding this kit!

Thanks
-John

Looks like a very comprehensive kit. Have you done any testing to see the impact this cooler has on the water temperature? I have had poor results from blocking airflow to the radiator on my personal projects.

Siestarider

Now that I have read everything posted, and agreeing with WhiteFord's query, I also wonder what effect you measured on intake temps while running the oil cooler with stock airbox. Seems to me the cooler mounting location provides a heated air source to OEM air intake location.

Chuckable

Now that I have read everything posted, and agreeing with WhiteFord's query, I also wonder what effect you measured on intake temps while running the oil cooler with stock airbox. Seems to me the cooler mounting location provides a heated air source to OEM air intake location.
I may be wrong, but I don't think that the OEM intake actually feeds from the upper grille. I got this info from this thread: http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/4469-Free-Intake-Mod-as-per-Mod-Bargains

The hole has to be cut for the airbox to draw air from the grille area.

I'm not so much concerned with engine air intake temps as I am with how blocking already limited airflow to the radiator with a 'cooler' full of hot engine oil. There is limited real estate in the front of the car, so Mishimoto did the best they could. In one of the product development threads, they mentioned that their engineers would be data logging water temps. I'm curious to see what kind of water temps they discovered when the oil cooler was in front of the radiator.

With this kit, I think it's going to be essential to cut open the front grille and install the DHM crashbar to get enough airflow for everything.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Will this kit, and the upcoming radiator fit on a Fiesta ST with the DHM crash bar?

Will this kit, and the upcoming radiator fit on a Fiesta ST with the DHM crash bar?
The radiator is a maybe. But this oil cooling kit will not work since the rear bar that this mounts to, is removed when installing the DHM crash bar.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
The radiator is a maybe. But this oil cooling kit will not work since the rear bar that this mounts to, is removed when installing the DHM crash bar.
It looks like I'll have to make my own brackets then to get the oil cooler to work. Thanks. I was hoping Mishimoto would mount the oil cooler to the radiator.

Siestarider

All these questions could be answered by MM posting intake and coolant temps with and without their oil cooler on the same chart type they posted showing comparison between oil temps.

Surely MM collected the data, if there are no changes in either intake air or coolant temp I for one would be a lot more comfortable with the pre-sale. Otherwise I will wait and see what users find out. If air and/or coolant temps are slightly increased maybe its still worth it.

Maybe an intake snorkel that reaches the grill can bypass the intake air heat. Maybe radiator temps are not affected. But we need some data here.

OP
M

mishimoto1

Thread Starter #11
Looks like a very comprehensive kit. Have you done any testing to see the impact this cooler has on the water temperature? I have had poor results from blocking airflow to the radiator on my personal projects.
I'm not so much concerned with engine air intake temps as I am with how blocking already limited airflow to the radiator with a 'cooler' full of hot engine oil. There is limited real estate in the front of the car, so Mishimoto did the best they could. In one of the product development threads, they mentioned that their engineers would be data logging water temps. I'm curious to see what kind of water temps they discovered when the oil cooler was in front of the radiator.
With this kit, I think it's going to be essential to cut open the front grille and install the DHM crashbar to get enough airflow for everything.
All these questions could be answered by MM posting intake and coolant temps with and without their oil cooler on the same chart type they posted showing comparison between oil temps.
Surely MM collected the data, if there are no changes in either intake air or coolant temp I for one would be a lot more comfortable with the pre-sale. Otherwise I will wait and see what users find out. If air and/or coolant temps are slightly increased maybe its still worth it.
Maybe an intake snorkel that reaches the grill can bypass the intake air heat. Maybe radiator temps are not affected. But we need some data here.
Thanks for the input/feedback on this guys. Testing the impact of our oil cooler setup on coolant temperatures is on our upcoming list of data collection. Initial testing did not reveal any issues or substantial changes in coolant temperatures, however we have not acquired any data to put a plot together. Once we do, it will certainly be posted.

The heat exchanger blocking airflow to the radiator will make an impact, however the translation into efficiency impact is difficult to gauge. Keep in mind that internally, oil functions to cool the engine as well, and cooler internal oil will also work to lower coolant temperatures. We theorize that these two characteristics of oil cooler install will likely have a negligible impact on actual on-road (or track) coolant temperatures. For proper reduction of coolant temperature, a more efficient radiator is likely a necessity. This is something we are exploring within our aluminum radiator development.

We are not concerned in regards to intake temperatures. The heat exchanger is quite a distance from the airbox, in fact the radiator itself is likely to make a bigger impact as it is much closer and running at similar temperatures. Our oil lines route below the induction point and should not cause any issues in terms of airflow restriction.

We have a ton of projects in the works for the ST, so finding time to perform testing is tight. Like we stated, collecting this data is a task we do have on our upcoming schedule. As soon as we have completed the test, we will let you know what the results are!

Thanks!

It looks like I'll have to make my own brackets then to get the oil cooler to work. Thanks. I was hoping Mishimoto would mount the oil cooler to the radiator.
Thanks for the interest guys! As noted by Doubletap, the DHM crash bar eliminates the mounting points we use for our oil cooler bracket, meaning this will not be a direct-fit without some additional fabrication. It is very likely our radiator will be compatible with the DHM setup as we emulate all factory mounting points and mounting features from the factory radiator. For those looking to add one of our oil cooler setups to a DHM-equipped ST, our universal kits should be considered. These kits include all components needed, only requiring fabrication of a cooler mounting bracket and likely some modification of the oil line lengths and fittings. If you have the means to do such work, this kit should be perfect for a DIY setup.

Thanks!
-John

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
With the universal kit, will Mishimoto provide the plate (thermostat included) that replaces the oil-to-water heat exchanger and still provides a connection to the oil filter? If not, can this plate be sold separately? If the cost difference is not too great, I would purchase the Fiesta ST oil cooler, and toss or modify the brackets since the hoses would be optimum for the cooler location picked by Mishimoto. I would prefer to mount the oil cooler in this location with standoff brackets which mount to the radiator mounting points, as these would not changed in the Mishi radiator.

OP
M

mishimoto1

Thread Starter #13
With the universal kit, will Mishimoto provide the plate (thermostat included) that replaces the oil-to-water heat exchanger and still provides a connection to the oil filter? If not, can this plate be sold separately? If the cost difference is not too great, I would purchase the Fiesta ST oil cooler, and toss or modify the brackets since the hoses would be optimum for the cooler location picked by Mishimoto. I would prefer to mount the oil cooler in this location with standoff brackets which mount to the radiator mounting points, as these would not changed in the Mishi radiator.
Sorry I missed this question! The universal oil cooler kits we offer do indeed include the sandwich plate necessary for install. These kits are available in thermostatic or non-thermostatic iterations, and also offer the option of 10, 19, or 25-row heat exchangers. There are two components included within our direct-fit kit that are necessary for installation specifically with the Fiesta. First, the oil sandwich plate center bolt. This piece is unlike those included in our universal kits, and allows for removal of the stock heat exchanger. This piece allows our sandwich plate to mate against the oil filter housing portion of the block. The other item is the aluminum tube which connects the two coolant lines which previously routed into (and out) of the stock heat exchanger. Without these two items, it will be quite a challenge to fit an oil cooler on the Fiesta. Where do you intend to mount the cooler? It is possible our direct-fit lines could be modified to route in an alternate location.

Let me know!

Thanks
-John

OP
M

mishimoto1

Thread Starter #14
Hey guys,

Just a reminder that our kits will be shipping out early next week, which will also signify the expiration of our introductory deal. If you are still on-the-fence about picking up our kit, we would recommend getting your order in this weekend.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks to all who have placed orders!

-John

meFiSTo

I know this is a lot to ask from an a testing POV, but I'm hoping you'll be able to compare data in one place illustrating the temperature effect of the various combinations:

1. stock setup (you might already have this)
  2. Mishimoto oil cooler and stock radiator (I think you have some data on this)
  3. Mishimoto oil cooler and Mishimoto radiator (and whatever other related shroud/fan stuffs you are planning)
  4. stock oil plumbing and Mishimoto radiator

It would also be awesome to see street vs. track effects and then perhaps different fluid options (water only, Mishimoto fluid, 50/50 glycol/water mixture).

That is a lot of tests and a lot of build up and tear down. I already have the oil cooler ordered, but would like to get a sense of what the impact of radiator changes would be in a track-day setting. That will not be cheap the buy or get installed. So: My personal main interest is in understanding the change between items 2 and 3 at the track.

Thanks.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Sorry I missed this question! The universal oil cooler kits we offer do indeed include the sandwich plate necessary for install. These kits are available in thermostatic or non-thermostatic iterations, and also offer the option of 10, 19, or 25-row heat exchangers. There are two components included within our direct-fit kit that are necessary for installation specifically with the Fiesta. First, the oil sandwich plate center bolt. This piece is unlike those included in our universal kits, and allows for removal of the stock heat exchanger. This piece allows our sandwich plate to mate against the oil filter housing portion of the block. The other item is the aluminum tube which connects the two coolant lines which previously routed into (and out) of the stock heat exchanger. Without these two items, it will be quite a challenge to fit an oil cooler on the Fiesta. Where do you intend to mount the cooler? It is possible our direct-fit lines could be modified to route in an alternate location.

Let me know!

Thanks
-John
John, I would be mounting the oil cooler where you guys are mounting it on the OEM crash bar, except, I have an aftermarket crash bar. I figure a little bracketry and some welding would be all it would take to get the oil cooler to fit in the location Mishimoto has chosen. Then I could add to this forum my line drawing for the brackets so others with the Deadhook crash bar could buy your direct fit kit. Based on your answer, I will place my order for your direct fit kit this week. Thanks.

OP
M

mishimoto1

Thread Starter #18
I know this is a lot to ask from an a testing POV, but I'm hoping you'll be able to compare data in one place illustrating the temperature effect of the various combinations:

1. stock setup (you might already have this)
  2. Mishimoto oil cooler and stock radiator (I think you have some data on this)
  3. Mishimoto oil cooler and Mishimoto radiator (and whatever other related shroud/fan stuffs you are planning)
  4. stock oil plumbing and Mishimoto radiator

It would also be awesome to see street vs. track effects and then perhaps different fluid options (water only, Mishimoto fluid, 50/50 glycol/water mixture).

That is a lot of tests and a lot of build up and tear down. I already have the oil cooler ordered, but would like to get a sense of what the impact of radiator changes would be in a track-day setting. That will not be cheap the buy or get installed. So: My personal main interest is in understanding the change between items 2 and 3 at the track.

Thanks.
Thanks for laying this out! I agree, this testing data would be extremely helpful and I imagine it would provide ample support for our FIST cooling product line. Our radiator development is still underway, and we will be conducting some extensive testing for that project. I will pass this recommendation on to our team to see what we can do!

John, I would be mounting the oil cooler where you guys are mounting it on the OEM crash bar, except, I have an aftermarket crash bar. I figure a little bracketry and some welding would be all it would take to get the oil cooler to fit in the location Mishimoto has chosen. Then I could add to this forum my line drawing for the brackets so others with the Deadhook crash bar could buy your direct fit kit. Based on your answer, I will place my order for your direct fit kit this week. Thanks.
Gotcha! Sounds like you have the right idea. Some light fabrication, creating mounting tabs on your aftermarket crash beam, is all that should be needed to install the direct-fit kit. Looking forward to images of what you come up with!

Thanks again!

Got my order placed. Will see just how well it works at GripFest 9th in NC next month.
Thanks for the order! Let us know how it performs for you.

-John

OP
M

mishimoto1

Thread Starter #19
Thanks for all the pre-orders guys! Check out our official release information below!

Ford Fiesta ST Oil Cooler Kit, 2014+

Product Specs

• Direct-fit for the 2014+ Ford Fiesta ST
  • Reduces oil temperatures by 35°F (19.5°C)
  • Minimal pressure drop
  • Application-specific mounting brackets
  • Oil cooler location does not interfere with aftermarket air intakes
  • Works with stock and most aftermarket intercooler kits
  • Pre-made stainless steel braided oil lines with durable -AN fittings
  • Billet aluminum oil sandwich plate
  • Designed to easily bypass the stock liquid-to-liquid oil cooler
  • 19-row stacked-plate oil cooler for optimal fluid temperature reduction
  • Thermostatic and Non-thermostatic options available
  • Cooler available in either Sleek Silver or Stealth Black
  • Increases oil capacity by 0.65qt
  • Mishimoto Lifetime Warranty

Features & Benefits Video
[video=youtube;_U2rt_O_YyM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U2rt_O_YyM[/video]

Installation Video
[video=youtube;pSvEwQugFdA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSvEwQugFdA[/video]

Final Images

Feel free to follow up with any questions! We look forward to everyone's installed images and feedback!

Thanks
-John