Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mishimoto J line installed and reviewed.

Putting this review out there for anyone looking to go with this option.
Install time - 2hrs.
Cutting - none....... but you should, I'll explain later.
What was installed?
1 Black Mishimoto J line IC $252
CM Builds custom bracket $75
2 - 90 Silicon hoses 2.5 length $ 6 each (I have more to say on these)
4 - 2.75 hose clamps. $3 each (I have more to say on these)
2 - 2.5in couplers. $11 each
The install is straight forward, if you watched the YouTube video for installing the Cobb one it pretty spot on but lacks a couple small parts that are pretty self-explanatory once into the project.
What parts will be left over? 3 bolts and a bracket from the lower shroud that is one area that should be cut but it you are skip it is the most feasible. There is shroud that covers the top of the factory FMIC that will be removed.
What should be cut and why, to get the front bumper cover to fit correctly. With no cutting you will be forcing the lower bumper cover over the bottom of the FMIC and against it. This is what will cause the biggest issue later. Since the cover is being pulled downward it is pulling from the top of the seam where the bumper meets the fender to be slightly uneven. The problem that I can fore see is the lowest part of the seam is now touching the fender due to the downward torque being applied the bumper cover. I can see this causing a rust issue later, as that contact will likely begin damaging the paint.

A couple of areas could be trimmed. The lower outside corners in the FMIC openings could be trimmed, along with the backsides of the 2 outer ribs along with the outer edges.
The lower areas make contact with FMIC, the rib and outside edges make contact with hoses and inlets which could be eliminated if you use 4 inch long 90's and some have point that out in the other threads but the biggest thing is that 2.5 inch 90's force you place the FMIC with the inlets forward. If you are not aware of this the inlets are not center you can place them forward or backward. If set backwards you?d likely would not have to trim the ribs or outer edges. The bad about this is the added cost which I have not searched heavily but 4inch long 90's seem to quadruple in cost to the 2.5 90's. Oh an on the hose clamps don't get the 3inch clamps they will be too big..... I believe other have experienced this already in other threads, they are right, 2.75 are perfect.

The lower guard that the 3, 8mm bolts connect to, that panel could be trimmed as it is being pushed downward about an inch and that also contributes to pulling on the bumper cover also but I believe the trimming of the above areas would alevate the need for that. An added note I believe that the factory grill that snaps on would cover most of the cuts, on the picture above.
The one other thing I wanted to talk about and I noticed it within minutes of driving is the change in handling. The factory FMIC weighs 3 pound give or take a pound, I did not weight but it is light, really light. The Mishimito weighs 20 pounds heavy and the added weight on the nose of the vehicle makes it very noticeable in the handling. The 2 things I noticed is it makes the tail of the car light and the front feels sluggish and the other is the rear of the feels like it would now come around very easy. The front brakes now feel very touchy.
In summery the using CM Bulidz bracket makes this an easy job if you are not cutting anything. The 4 inch 90?s would make even easier so if you go this route I recommend if not it still works perfectly fine.
Pro?s
- Cheap ($361) an easy project made as hard as you want.
- J line cheap in price A+ in build quality. It could be a bumper it self.
Con?s
- The added weight
- The handling changes due the weight
- Cutting to get the front bumper cover perfect.

PS I will likely be selling this as I would prefer a better fit. Anyone who would like to make and offer PM me.

Attachments

Awsome, thanks for the pictures and a heads up on where to trim. I'm kinda curious what you are talking about when you say the two outer ribs you mean where the stock lower grill attaches to? Also what do you mean by trimming the lower guard panel, does a section need to be cut away to accommodate the intercooler so it isnt being pushed down?

OP
C
Thread Starter #3
I'm going to pull the bumper cover off next week again as I was to find a good deal on the 4in long 90's so I plan to do the flip of FMIC which hopefully I will only need to trim the lower section of the bumper and not where the inlets hit. If that goes well I will trim the underlying panel. I will get some pics and post.

OP
C
Thread Starter #4
Awsome, thanks for the pictures and a heads up on where to trim. I'm kinda curious what you are talking about when you say the two outer ribs you mean where the stock lower grill attaches to? Also what do you mean by trimming the lower guard panel, does a section need to be cut away to accommodate the intercooler so it isnt being pushed down?
Yeah the ribs that the grill attach to.

Okay, well hopefully I'll be installing mine tomorrow and I'll try to get some good pictures of what I end up doing. I'll probably cut all of the ribs out of the lower grill. I'm just waiting on the bracket and the joiners to get here tomorrow. I don't have the longer elbows so I'll have to do it how you have it now.

I'm going to pull the bumper cover off next week again as I was to find a good deal on the 4in long 90's so I plan to do the flip of FMIC which hopefully I will only need to trim the lower section of the bumper and not where the inlets hit. If that goes well I will trim the underlying panel. I will get some pics and post.
I definitely think this will make things a lot easier for you. I just did my install and used ~3.5 inch leg elbows that work pretty good. As you say, this allows you to flip the inlet/outlet closer to the car and allows clearance for the bumper cover. Clearance on the inlet/outlet and elbows will no longer be an issue.

You will, however, start to hit up against the corners of the IC, though. I ended up trimming a bit of the bumper cover in those corners and everything mates up pretty good now.

One other pro-tip that probably is obvious, but I think is worth making: make sure you get those silicone elbows and clamps on perfectly. The elbows are at sort of an awkward angle, when you have the inlet/outlet close to the car. This means that the silicone elbow will be a bit crooked--farther up on the outside and farther out on the inside. Take your time when you have everything apart and make sure you get those clamps lined up and can feel the bead of the inlet/outlet all the way around. (Ask me how I know--I blew off the hot side elbow and had to take the whole bumper cover off again to fix it).

OP
C
Thread Starter #7
Update: Purchased new 90 degree silicone elbows with 4in legs. Flipped the FMIC so the inlets were towards the back vs the front. This opens a lot of room for the bumper cover. I did do some additional trimming took a small amount along the bottom of the FMIC opening and trimmed some of the high sections of the lower panel. These 2 mods made the bumper very easy to get back on and I don't feel like anything is now being forced.

If you are very careful all that is needed to trim the lower panel and bumper cover is very sharp box cutter. Simply score what you to cut and after couple of passes you will be through the material.

Oh and 90 degree silicone elbows bigger than 2.5 in legs are ridiculously expensive. I thought I found a good deal on eBay. But they ended up being 2.5 in legs. So the best price I found for the 4in leg one's was about 40 each. Give or take a few bucks.

Here are some pictures to compare to the original install.

uploadfromtaptalk1442522372672.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1442522384239.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1442522398629.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1442522413968.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1442522427855.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1442522440570.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1442522450684.jpg

Izzy

Will you be keeping it now that you have it properly installed?

OP
C
Thread Starter #9
Will you be keeping it now that you have it properly installed?
Yes I am pretty happy with the fitment of it now. I was really bothered by the way the bumper cover was being pulled downward. The only real bummer is for whatever reason and I looked at tons of places. You can get the 2.5 legged 90s dirt cheap but the best price for 4in legged 90s was in the upper 30's. Which adds about 70 dollars after subtracting the smaller ones from the overall cost.

Izzy

Glad you like it now. I went with the 4" HPS from the get go and they set me back about $90, but very much worth it...enjoy!!

I just got myself a J-line and im putting together the parts list from above. One question, whats your opinion on using a 90 elbow with 3" legs rather that the 4'? i found a really good deal on some 3" ones, so i was curious. My goal is to avoid cutting up things as much as possible.

Izzy

Documented...use the 4"...with the 3" the fit will drive you mad.

I just got myself a J-line and im putting together the parts list from above. One question, whats your opinion on using a 90 elbow with 3" legs rather that the 4'? i found a really good deal on some 3" ones, so i was curious. My goal is to avoid cutting up things as much as possible.

When I ordered mine a few months back mod bargains did not inform me that cmbuildz had stopped making the direct fit bracket. After countless emails and finally a refund of the bracket I've been in search of the bracket ever since. anyone on here have one they'd like to get rid of?

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
When I ordered mine a few months back mod bargains did not inform me that cmbuildz had stopped making the direct fit bracket. After countless emails and finally a refund of the bracket I've been in search of the bracket ever since. anyone on here have one they'd like to get rid of?
Whoosh is going to start selling these again!

I was actually considering this for quite a while now but I honestly don't want to go through the recommended cutting as I'm not very experienced with that. I did end up buying the cmbuildz bracket from Ceecab705 about 2 months ago. If anyone is interested in snatching it, please lmk!