Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mission Impossible!!!

***KEEP IN MIND THIS IS JUST FOR EXPIRMENTAL PURPOSES***

Hey,
I am trying to do the impossible I would say. I have some wheels here that are 16x8 et -5 one has a 245/45/16 tire on for testing purposes (Yes, I know what is the crazy guy thinking) the other 3 are brand new in the box just in case all else fail I can sell them...
I know I cant run that size tire due to testing and I realize #1 issue with 245/45/16 is turning...so it wont work unless I do some serious fab work. I know the poke is extreme but I have fender flares that will hopefully soak up most of the poke. I know I will have to do some trimming/fabrication if I do decide to pull the trigger due to the offset.

Just trying to see if there is hope for this setup with -5 offset. I know our cars are very peculiar when it comes to wheel & tire fitment but it don't hurt to experiment I guess... Are there any tire size that will might work in this situation? or should I Abort Mission!

Here is some pics of the testing: **Please note car is on stock suspension**
-Wheels: Klutch SL2
-Fender Flares: Fury Motoring

I am open to all feedback positive, negative, and informative etc.

20210728_170844.jpg 20210728_170904.jpg 20210728_170914.jpg 20210728_170924.jpg 20210728_170934.jpg 20210728_170945.jpg NOTE*** REAR FITMENT*** 20210728_183248.jpg 20210728_183309.jpg 20210728_183320.jpg 20210728_183333.jpg 20210728_183432.jpg 20210728_183522.jpg 20210728_183607.jpg 20210728_183637.jpg 20210728_183648.jpg 20210728_183705.jpg 20210728_183712.jpg 20210728_183724.jpg 20210728_183818.jpg 20210728_183826.jpg NOTE ***FRONT FITMENT*** 20210728_192052.jpg 20210728_192104.jpg 20210728_192119.jpg 20210728_192134.jpg 20210728_192218.jpg 20210728_192241.jpg 20210728_192245.jpg 20210728_192433.jpg
20210728_192456.jpg NOTE*** Wheel is as far as it goes to the left*** 20210728_192636.jpg 20210728_192805.jpg 20210728_192809.jpg NOTE*** Wheel is as far as it will go to the right*** 20210728_192909.jpg 20210728_192923.jpg

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
If your doing it for looks not a problem, but the amount of tire that sticks out from under the body is a waste of tire, under cornering that 1-1.5 inch of tire sticking out is going to lift, no weight to hold it down. It will cause all sorts of crazy handling, abnormal ball joint and control arm bushing wear, could even through leverage angle wear out the CV joints sooner or even put them in an abnormal bind, breaking them. There are all sorts of information on the net about suspension geometry, camber/caster angle and a big one Akerman angle. It's your car, do as you will, but do it from an informed point of view. I would not use them, but again it's your car.

OP
Sir_Gr4nt
Thread Starter #4
If your doing it for looks not a problem, but the amount of tire that sticks out from under the body is a waste of tire, under cornering that 1-1.5 inch of tire sticking out is going to lift, no weight to hold it down. It will cause all sorts of crazy handling, abnormal ball joint and control arm bushing wear, could even through leverage angle wear out the CV joints sooner or even put them in an abnormal bind, breaking them. There are all sorts of information on the net about suspension geometry, camber/caster angle and a big one Akerman angle. It's your car, do as you will, but do it from an informed point of view. I would not use them, but again it's your car.

Good to know...Im trying to get as much info and I sure do appreciate the feedback. Question, would there be a tire size that would reduce the wasted tire that sticks out? I will not be running that size due to that reason and the turning of course. just seeing all angle before I abort. i have them in the garage just figure I see whats to it...

Thanks in advance.

OP
Sir_Gr4nt
Thread Starter #5
Are you going to upgrade suspension eventually? If so, I'd maybe do it first and see before you cut/roll.

It will be similar to this one, he owns fury motoring I believe. He is on a fifteen52 forged 2-piece Tarmac F40 17x9 ET10. Toyo Proxes R1R 245/35R-17

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9htreSslF9k

When I test fitted everything I was on stock suspension. I recently installed some coils but havent got around to test fitting them since been a little busy and I have the coils on stock wheel and tire pretty low I know I will have to bring it all back to stock height and adjust from there and see where I will need to fab/cut/roll. If I decide to do it yeah it will be similar...he has a dope ride.

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
Good to know...Im trying to get as much info and I sure do appreciate the feedback. Question, would there be a tire size that would reduce the wasted tire that sticks out? I will not be running that size due to that reason and the turning of course. just seeing all angle before I abort. i have them in the garage just figure I see whats to it...

Thanks in advance.
I would look at you tube and other on line sites to get an idea of what fits. I would try these guys they seem to pretty knowledgeable.
Fitment Industries | Create Your Custom Car | Wheels, Tires, and Accessories

Just something to think about. How about if those wheels were mounted 3 FEET out from the body. Doing this would put a giant torque load on the axle stubs and the bearings. Probably wouldn't be able to drive further than a mile or two before something broke. Now shorten that "offset" to just 3 or 4 inches as shown here. You are still loading the axles beyond the limits they are designed for. To be blunt this is not a good idea unless your are willing to seriously invest in the components required for this much offset.

What I meant was that the guy (I believe his name is jeff or geoff) would have some pretty good advice or help if you can get ahold of him considering he did it. I bet you could get him to reply on instagram?

Here is another fiesta st with -
H&R extended studs
245/35/17 Toyo R1R (new)
Password JDM lug nuts
Password JDM 3 piece forged wheels
17X9 ET8

https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/brawler-st-build-thread.16438/

@ThaCoyote

I think your car will look cool man, as will jabbits. I was just trying to get you set up with some guys who've done it that's where you will get the useful information.

OP
Sir_Gr4nt
Thread Starter #14
Just something to think about. How about if those wheels were mounted 3 FEET out from the body. Doing this would put a giant torque load on the axle stubs and the bearings. Probably wouldn't be able to drive further than a mile or two before something broke. Now shorten that "offset" to just 3 or 4 inches as shown here. You are still loading the axles beyond the limits they are designed for. To be blunt this is not a good idea unless your are willing to seriously invest in the components required for this much offset.
I see... Old Mike Emerson sorta kinda explained the outcome of what you just explained...

I greatly appreciate the feedback thanks...

OP
Sir_Gr4nt
Thread Starter #15
What I meant was that the guy (I believe his name is jeff or geoff) would have some pretty good advice or help if you can get ahold of him considering he did it. I bet you could get him to reply on instagram?

Here is another fiesta st with -
H&R extended studs
245/35/17 Toyo R1R (new)
Password JDM lug nuts
Password JDM 3 piece forged wheels
17X9 ET8

https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/brawler-st-build-thread.16438/

@ThaCoyote

I think your car will look cool man, as will jabbits. I was just trying to get you set up with some guys who've done it that's where you will get the useful information.

Yeah, I wish I could get some insight from him but the FB page is not really been updated and I haven't seen him much on here either and I don't have Instagram....thanks I'll check out that guy's setup

I appreciate it...thanks

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
I've seen some ghastly shit happen when the suspension geometry is to far out. What you would need to do to pull this off the right way would be a custom front frame built, think racing cage, then custom struts and a-arms fabricated and mounted. You are looking at big money and professional fab shop, I can be done but at what price. I would guess in the $20k range. If money is no object it would be cool as hell.

I've seen some ghastly shit happen when the suspension geometry is to far out. What you would need to do to pull this off the right way would be a custom front frame built, think racing cage, then custom struts and a-arms fabricated and mounted. You are looking at big money and professional fab shop, I can be done but at what price. I would guess in the $20k range. If money is no object it would be cool as hell.
Looks like we are doing the whole Angel and Devil on shoulder thing to him LOL. Yeah those same people getting into messed up situations do not know what corner balancing is nor caster/camber. I don't want to get into an argument with you and the stance scene is an instant way to get into a disagreement over car modding, which is why only 40 threads exist on this forum about stance and bags, it's very hard to get information. Most of the guys don't want to post up all the hard work only to be criticized so they just stay off forums. I am simply trying to get him in touch with the people who can answer his questions. Any little parts they added to increase safety while reducing stress/wear/tear. That is worth a phone call to him, even if he has to join instagram to get ahold of him. He already bought the tires so creating an account doesn't seem like a bad idea. And I am not a stance guy just so you know. I know you are just trying to prevent him from getting into something he cannot get out of, I am assuming he has an idea of everything I am about to say...

The other side to it, most fiesta owners are building a budget daily race car or going big turbo for fun, not dropping $5k on race tires or show tires... Naturally that means aftermarket companies will not waste time with our car or bolt pattern. We have what we have. Now a new generation of fiesta owners have to get clever and fab up/ figure out the next gen of parts and think outside of the box or find used. And document it, like this man is with detailed photos.

Most of the guys who've went or are going big tires are already aware of the negatives and really are not track guys obsessing over every minute detail and basically physics + safety, the most effective lightest weight rotating mass (I am one of those guys) but some are not, some are just guys who just want to drive to shows and meets and around town, then get tired of rubbing and eventually sell it or go air ride. Most are just on a diff set of springs and deal with it because they like the look more. You may not understand it, but they are real and they are out there.

Long term 100k miles of that tire set up will be worse than a stock tire set up car but I feel like every human should know this already. No matter what you will rub and have to tolerate it. It will wear brakes out quicker. Itll add stress on suspension parts. Yes.

OP
Sir_Gr4nt
Thread Starter #19
Manage to get ahold of anybody at Fury? Are you still going for it dude?

Hey, Still unsuccessful with getting a hold of anyone and the other guy I haven't had a chance got busy the last couple days. As for pulling the trigger till on the fence and doing research I guess...

OP
Sir_Gr4nt
Thread Starter #20
I figured there will be a lot of work that will have to go into it if I do decide on doing it. but the type of fab work you speak of is for someone that would be trying to track there car with big HP setups if I am understanding you correctly. That I can see lots of crazy things happening if not thought out and done right like you said.