Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Modified Cobb intake?

So I've seen posts regarding Cobb's small filter, lack of a velocity stack, proximity of the filter to the interior of the airbox etc ad nauseum. I've also seen the pros/cons of the stock setup. Has anyone made a hybrid?

I made a horrible PhotoShop from stolen interwebz pics to give some idea of what could be done with a silicone coupler...observe:

My thought process is, use the stock airbox and lid along with the majority of the Cobb piping.
The benefits of the stock airbox with a drop-in filter, with the velocity stack...plus the thermoplastic piping of the Cobb unit. Please discuss.

OP
BrokenSVT
Thread Starter #3
It would involve all the endearing qualities of the stock setup, with the added benefit of smoother flow and better materials from the airbox to the turbo, essentially. I may pull the front-most Cobb piping, along with filter and lid; then mock something up using the stock airbox lid. I still have my Cobb panel filter laying around as well, should something appear to be workable.

Young L

So what I did is take a 3in brake duct and hose, cut a hole in the side of the lower box and routed it it. I mounted the brake duct in under the front bumper on the plastic thingy what its called. The 3in is the smallest one i could find that would fit and i sit had to trim it a little bit but it wasnt a big deal. as the hose passes over the I/C pipe i just loosely (X)d 2 zipties to keep it in place. It rubs a little on the transmission but again no big deal.

J2FoRS

So what I did is take a 3in brake duct and hose, cut a hole in the side of the lower box and routed it it. I mounted the brake duct in under the front bumper on the plastic thingy what its called. The 3in is the smallest one i could find that would fit and i sit had to trim it a little bit but it wasnt a big deal. as the hose passes over the I/C pipe i just loosely (X)d 2 zipties to keep it in place. It rubs a little on the transmission but again no big deal.
Pics!

Young L

i never did take pics and the is in storage now. wont see it for awhile :(

couple of companies make a dual port duct and you could use that to run air to the intake and one to the brake on the drivers side. I didnt think about that at the time but its something Ill change to when I get the car back.

Young L

As you can see my Paint skills are off the chain.

So the brake duct will mount in this area. You'll get a better feel for it when you are under the car lookin at it. with the offset duct it the air will be diverted pretty well from the bumper

so get a hole saw and cut out the hole at the lower section of the box. its a bit of a pain since the box is curved so just do it in small sections and finish it with a file. I just screwed the hose into it and its solid.

So this is roughly how it will look under the car

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
As you can see my Paint skills are off the chain.

So the brake duct will mount in this area. You'll get a better feel for it when you are under the car lookin at it. with the offset duct it the air will be diverted pretty well from the bumper

so get a hole saw and cut out the hole at the lower section of the box. its a bit of a pain since the box is curved so just do it in small sections and finish it with a file. I just screwed the hose into it and its solid.

So this is roughly how it will look under the car

Very similar to the Mountune air box except they just have a hose without a duct. Very good DIY.

J2FoRS

Haha awesome pictures. I have the mountune air box. I think I'm going to use your method to change the lower hose to include your duct for more direct airflow

Young L

Very similar to the Mountune air box except they just have a hose without a duct. Very good DIY.
yea i figured it that much. to me it just made more sense to add the duct to get the cleanest air possible. I drilled the drain hole larger also just as a precaution, and I also check the box every couple of weeks since more dirt can get up in it, I also have a pre-filter cover over the cobb filter which i felt is a must.

Another note: So I noticed after I did this that the Cobb lid warped, at first I thought it was because of the heat in the engine but after they sent me another one it warped again so Im thinking the addition air flowing into the box coupled with the engine heat is warping the lid. No big deal for me really, im not building a show car.

J2FoRS

yea i figured it that much. to me it just made more sense to add the duct to get the cleanest air possible. I drilled the drain hole larger also just as a precaution, and I also check the box every couple of weeks since more dirt can get up in it, I also have a pre-filter cover over the cobb filter which i felt is a must.

Another note: So I noticed after I did this that the Cobb lid warped, at first I thought it was because of the heat in the engine but after they sent me another one it warped again so Im thinking the addition air flowing into the box coupled with the engine heat is warping the lid. No big deal for me really, im not building a show car.
That seems really weird! Hmm. Something to consider I guess.

OP
BrokenSVT
Thread Starter #13
Those are ideas I bounced around also. In the theme of the thread, however, I'm thinking of connecting the Cobb piping directly to the stock airbox for better flow through a Cobb panel filter.