Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Modified engine block options and discussion

eq5

As I myself have been wrestling with the 1.6 Ecoboost engine block due to factory block not supporting the power levels we want to give it (liner deformation, liner cracking, poor aluminium quality etc.), I thought it might be good idea to gather information and experience into one place about the possible solutions out there.

This way if someone is looking to push his Fiesta further, he has something other than just seller's convincing words to rely on, possibly saving a lot of money in the process.

So if anyone is using an engine block other than stock, it would be great if you could share the following:

1. Which modified engine block are you using?
2. What other modifications have you made to the engine (rods, pistons, head, cams, turbo, flywheel etc)?
3. What power levels are you running?
4. How much abuse and stress have you given it?
5. Have you done any inspection and/or diagnostics after giving it some stress?

Also any other relevant information is very welcome.

What options I am currently aware of:
- Pumaspeed Bulletproof sleeved block http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/product-Pumaspeed-Bulletproof-16-EcoBoost-Engine-Block_17863.jsp
- Mountune MRX block wity cylinder support https://www.mountuneusa.com/mountune-MRX-1-6L-EcoBoost-Short-Block-Engine-p/6064-sb-160a.htm
- Pwnall block with cylinder support https://pwnallperformance.com/products/fiesta-st-pwnall-performance-uprated-engine-block
- SBD block with Darton sleeves
https://www.sbdmotorsport.co.uk/index.php/products/index/4660

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
I'll be running the mountune mrx longblock in a week. This is a sleeved block with forged rods and pistons. The head has a stage 2 piper cam in it and they are ported for higher flow exhaust and intake. It also comes with their oil control system. Their engine is tested AT 400 hp which is what the stock engine seems to max out at or at least by then it becomes problematic to the longevity of it. I'll update this thread when I test.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

OP
eq5

eq5

Thread Starter #4

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
What is their solution to cylinder liner upper distortion(gap between cylinders, where cylinder wall is thinner) and cylinder wall cracking?
The Cylinder Support System is a proven method of strengthening open deck engine blocks while maintaining OEM integrity. It prevents cylinder cracking, walking, and bell mouthing. The support ring is made from aircraft grade 6061-T6 aluminum.

OP
eq5

eq5

Thread Starter #6
The Cylinder Support System is a proven method of strengthening open deck engine blocks while maintaining OEM integrity. It prevents cylinder cracking, walking, and bell mouthing. The support ring is made from aircraft grade 6061-T6 aluminum.
Pumaspeed states the following from their experience:
---
Are the sleeved Blocks better than having the Closed Deck System fitted alone?

Almost certainly yes, the Closed Deck by itself does not address the fact that the Stock Cast in Ford liner is simply too thin and weak, its almost certain that under prolonged competition use, that the Stock Ford OE Block will eventually fail by the deck warping or by the liner cracking.
---

I personally would not rush to buy MRX before some reliable data is available that these engines have actually seen some mileage and proper stress.

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Pumaspeed states the following from their experience:
---
Are the sleeved Blocks better than having the Closed Deck System fitted alone?

Almost certainly yes, the Closed Deck by itself does not address the fact that the Stock Cast in Ford liner is simply too thin and weak, its almost certain that under prolonged competition use, that the Stock Ford OE Block will eventually fail by the deck warping or by the liner cracking.
---

I personally would not rush to buy MRX before some reliable data is available that these engines have actually seen some mileage and proper stress.
Well if my build makes atleast 400 I'll be a willing guinea pig. But I also agree like most on here, unless you blow your engine it's not necessary to upgrade. Even then, depending on the build goal id say most builds should use a junkyard motor. Hell we have how many people reliably pushing 300 hp? With thousands of miles even.

OP
eq5

eq5

Thread Starter #8
Well if my build makes atleast 400 I'll be a willing guinea pig. But I also agree like most on here, unless you blow your engine it's not necessary to upgrade. Even then, depending on the build goal id say most builds should use a junkyard motor. Hell we have how many people reliably pushing 300 hp? With thousands of miles even.

Surely keeping a close eye on your build(y). As for horsepower numbers, to compare the stress we put on our engines, we should actually be comparing our torque numbers. 400hp@6000rpm is nothing compared to 300hp@3000rpm.

What is the highest peak torque number you guys have seen for 1.6 Ecoboost?

I'm commenting to follow mostly, but will give some input. I feel like the SBD with Darton Sleeved block will be most reliable. I've put together a couple of friends engines (4b11) that have Darton Sleeves. They have 40k at roughly 500ft-lbs of torque ~700whp. I have a hard time believing anyone on here would really be going for 400ft-lbs or more in fwd form. Bigger question will be is there a piston/rod combo for this platform that will hold up to 500-600whp 8500rpm builds I feel like we will see in the coming year or two.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'll be running the mountune mrx longblock in a week. This is a sleeved block with forged rods and pistons. The head has a stage 2 piper cam in it and they are ported for higher flow exhaust and intake. It also comes with their oil control system. Their engine is tested AT 400 hp which is what the stock engine seems to max out at or at least by then it becomes problematic to the longevity of it. I'll update this thread when I test.

Basically just commenting to subscribe to this thread. Very exciting to see folks talking and doing stuff around built engines since this is the path I want to go eventually.

What turbo are you running?
What redline are you planning to run given the built head and upgraded valve springs of the MRX long block?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

Is there any affordable dry sump setup available for the not 'full race/rally' streetable apps for us yet??

Another option in the future could be a block from https://www.speedperf6rmanc3.com/
They used to have a block listed on their site capable of 700whp but apparently it was a typo and actually relevant to the focus ST stroker they sell. Regardless, with time they may offer something as well.

I'm in the same camp as a lot of you, prepping my car with goodies (LSD, big IC, Clutch, Aux) for when a bulletproof block appears.

OP
eq5

eq5

Thread Starter #16
Another option in the future could be a block from https://www.speedperf6rmanc3.com/
They used to have a block listed on their site capable of 700whp but apparently it was a typo and actually relevant to the focus ST stroker they sell. Regardless, with time they may offer something as well.

I'm in the same camp as a lot of you, prepping my car with goodies (LSD, big IC, Clutch, Aux) for when a bulletproof block appears.
Would there be any market for a billet block? After the problems I have had so far I am getting closer to developing one to be honest...

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Basically just commenting to subscribe to this thread. Very exciting to see folks talking and doing stuff around built engines since this is the path I want to go eventually.

What turbo are you running?
What redline are you planning to run given the built head and upgraded valve springs of the MRX long block?
Turbo will be x57rs with a redline of 7500 rpm.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Would there be any market for a billet block? After the problems I have had so far I am getting closer to developing one to be honest...
IF the FIA allowed these in WRC rallying, there would be some available, albeit probably for a bit more coin than the muscle car peeps would ever pay for their billet aluminum BIG block V-8s. [:(]

slopoke

From what I understand, the bearings are more of an issue rather than the strength of the block.