Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mods suggestions to achieve 5 seconds 0-60

I’ve had my fiesta st for several months, and I love the car in every aspect, but I just still feel that need for more, per usual. I know some say the fiesta isn’t the right car if you want speed, but I figured some of you could help me figure a game plan of the best way to get my car 0-60 in 5 seconds. Currently all I’ve got is Cobb stage 1 and FSWerks short shifter with a 25% reduction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spork1569

Probably going to need a turbo upgrade to get anywhere near the time. I think the stock snail maxed out would probably get you a low 6.0 or high 5.x 0-60.

Probably doesn't help that we need to hit third gear to hit 60 mph either so you gotta be quick in the shifts as well.

OP
S
Thread Starter #3
Probably going to need a turbo upgrade to get anywhere near the time. I think the stock snail maxed out would probably get you a low 6.0 or high 5.x 0-60.

Probably doesn't help that we need to hit third gear to hit 60 mph either so you gotta be quick in the shifts as well.
Definitely know a turbo upgrade will be in the mix, hoping someone has a good suggestion on which one.

Spork1569

Definitely know a turbo upgrade will be in the mix, hoping someone has a good suggestion on which one.

Are you looking at retaining the quick spool of the stock turbo? If so a hyrbid like the whoosh, X47/X37 keep that same quick spool but don't die off like our stock, it keeps pulling to redline.

If you're willing to give up the quick spool for the higher HP of a big turbo like the Garrett's, you can make more HP than even the hybrids but your power band will be moved into the higher revs.

Kind of depends on the characteristics of the car you want and whether you're OK with the different personality that comes with a BT.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Whoosh is making so much power with their hybrid its kind of a no brainer. Its either that or the Turbotech S280 which they sell. One of those are most likely gonna be the way I go. Really no reason to go down the Pumaspeed road anymore.

Spork1569

Whoosh is making so much power with their hybrid its kind of a no brainer. Its either that or the Turbotech S280 which they sell. One of those are most likely gonna be the way I go. Really no reason to go down the Pumaspeed road anymore.
Yep that and Ron's customer service are probably why I'll go woosh when it comes to turbo upgrade time. I think on his site it even states the fastest recorded hybrid turbo Fiesta was running the Whoosh kit.

Dib

having a 0-60 goal is a new one for me, why would you pick 5sec? i think with a fat tire, clutch, good driver, prepped track, you can get 0-60 in 5 flat with the stock turbo. My best 60ft in my fist was 2.098, which is around a mid 5 sec 0-60, running stock clutch and 195 BFG g-force launching at 2500rpm. I am a little lighter than stock, stripped trunk, no sunroof or recaros, and 15in buddy clubs that are 11lbs each.

moral of the story, you can either add power, or add lightness/grip.

jeff

2000 Post Club
So quick to jump on the bandwagon here. Yes Whoosh is doing awesome things and has the record for now. Within a few months Pumaspeed or someone else will likely take it back. That's how it works as new innovations and builds come along. But to say that there is no reason to go down the Pumaspeed road anymore is harsh. Before we all jump on the "Pumaspeed sucks and Whoosh is the greatest thing ever" lets consider some perspective...

Puma was one of the first companies/innovators for our car. Thanks Puma. They've been at it for 5 years. Thanks Puma. They've spent thousands of hours of R&D to make your Fiesta faster. Thanks Puma. They've set a dozen records on our cars for top speed, hp and Tq. Thanks Puma. They continue to make products for our USA cars even though Ford quit selling them. Thanks Puma. They've sold over 1,000 X-series hybrids and have only a 2% failure rate.....that's 98% success rate folks. Thanks Puma.

That's dedication and integrity. Don't throw that out as irrelevant just because the new kid on the block, whose longevity and reliability is untested, has a few hp more. Have a heart people and appreciate what's been done. Let's respect each manufacturer no matter who holds the current record. The same people who praise Whoosh now will be bashing them once they hit hard times. How about we show some respect?

I'm not bashing Whoosh products; Ron is a fine fellow and I have plenty of his products on my car. Just hate to hear so much of this "you're old news, goodbye" attitude.

"The leech has two daughters; their names are 'Give Me' and "Give Me More'. - Proverbs 30:15

I’ve had my fiesta st for several months, and I love the car in every aspect, but I just still feel that need for more, per usual. I know some say the fiesta isn’t the right car if you want speed, but I figured some of you could help me figure a game plan of the best way to get my car 0-60 in 5 seconds. Currently all I’ve got is Cobb stage 1 and FSWerks short shifter with a 25% reduction.

Honestly bro you bought the wrong car. Put all the power mods into the Fiesta ST you want, get 300-350hp or more, your car is still gonna spin in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear as you try to get your 5 second 0-60. Power mods on this car help the 2nd or 3rd gear three honk race times but not off the line. To get a 5 second 0-60 on this car you'd need a good bit of power mods, a good bit of traction mods, and some super wide tires, which would require fender flares....you're talking many thousands of dollars. That might get you into the 5s but not 5 seconds flat, and you have a daily driver that's pretty unbalanced.

Get on a track with lots of power mods plus slicks it's a different story, but I assume you are talking of street driving here.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
With 2 shifts needed it makes the goal tough, I say shoot for whatever 1/4 mile time as a goal instead of an old marketing standard that's really tough with a short geared manual. For example, running a custom ethanol tune, I'm trying to get under 14 on the 1/4 as my goal.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
So quick to jump on the bandwagon here. Yes Whoosh is doing awesome things and has the record for now. Within a few months Pumaspeed or someone else will likely take it back. That's how it works as new innovations and builds come along. But to say that there is no reason to go down the Pumaspeed road anymore is harsh. Before we all jump on the "Pumaspeed sucks and Whoosh is the greatest thing ever" lets consider some perspective...

Puma was one of the first companies/innovators for our car. Thanks Puma. They've been at it for 5 years. Thanks Puma. They've spent thousands of hours of R&D to make your Fiesta faster. Thanks Puma. They've set a dozen records on our cars for top speed, hp and Tq. Thanks Puma. They continue to make products for our USA cars even though Ford quit selling them. Thanks Puma. They've sold over 1,000 X-series hybrids and have only a 2% failure rate.....that's 98% success rate folks. Thanks Puma.

That's dedication and integrity. Don't throw that out as irrelevant just because the new kid on the block, whose longevity and reliability is untested, has a few hp more. Have a heart people and appreciate what's been done. Let's respect each manufacturer no matter who holds the current record. The same people who praise Whoosh now will be bashing them once they hit hard times. How about we show some respect?

I'm not bashing Whoosh products; Ron is a fine fellow and I have plenty of his products on my car. Just hate to hear so much of this "you're old news, goodbye" attitude.

"The leech has two daughters; their names are 'Give Me' and "Give Me More'. - Proverbs 30:15.
Lol touched a nerve I did! First off I am not throwing Pumaspeed under the buss and you are overboard in your reactionary judgement of my statement.
Oh and ya could it be its because you own and use an X47?
Now you act like Pumaspeed was the only Turbo innovator and maker in the UK and as much the end all be all in reaction to my statement.
Hmm pot meet kettle!
There were are several other Turbo manufacturers mods in the UK making and selling applications for our cars. Perhaps you rush to praise as well.
Now you are casting doubt on Whoosh as well in you reaction again a judgement call on your part. Oh but you put up the disclaimer of praising Ron at the same time. iI could quote provervs as well. Though I would rather keep religion out of this discussion because it has no place in it.
Do not quote proberbs at me as if I being evil. You sir are stepping way oit of bounds with that.

I would add that seeing as with Ron we have a reputable source for Turbos see as if you read my post you would see I also mentioned the Turbo Technics S280 . We are quite luckly for good service and contact. With Pumaspeed its back and forth between here and the UK as the American rep is not someone I would put a lot of stock with or really have alot of faith with.
So its really about service here and with Ron we have service. Perhaps if I lived in the UK I indeed would be saying go Pumaspeed I do not and most here do not.

jeff

2000 Post Club
With 2 shifts needed it makes the goal tough, I say shoot for whatever 1/4 mile time as a goal instead of an old marketing standard that's really tough with a short geared manual. For example, running a custom ethanol tune, I'm trying to get under 14 on the 1/4 as my goal.
With any serious mods he would be getting a custom tune which would bring the redline up and allow 60 mph while still in second gear.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
While being a great late-brake, late-apex or cone hunting platform, the FiST isn't a good 0-anything platform. It's FWD, tire-limited, doesn't come with a mechanical LSD, and is tuned too much for the low end from the factory. That said:

Fattest, stickiest tires you can fit - 215/45 unless you flare. They'll also be taller than stock to help avoid the 2-3 shift.
Hybrid turbo - you're not going to have enough traction in 1st and 2nd to wring out a BT but a hybrid, at least, won't call on its face after 5000
Tune - cuz you've got a hybrid and you're gonna want to up the rev limiter to avoid a 2-3 shift
LSD - you're going to need the traction
Lighter Wheels - Google Fast Ford Lighter Wheel and read the PDF.
Practice - I don't know because I don't, but I hear that launching a FWD takes a skilled foot

I think that 0-60 is a silly thing to measure. 1/4, lap times, etc. are more meaningful measurements.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Lol touched a nerve I did! First off I am not throwing Pumaspeed under the buss and you are overboard in your reactionary judgement of my statement.
Oh and ya could it be its because you own and use an X47?
Now you act like Pumaspeed was the only Turbo innovator and maker in the UK and as much the end all be all in reaction to my statement.
Hmm pot meet kettle!
There were are several other Turbo manufacturers mods in the UK making and selling applications for our cars. Perhaps you rush to praise as well.
Now you are casting doubt on Whoosh as well in you reaction again a judgement call on your part. Oh but you put up the disclaimer of praising Ron at the same time. iI could quote provervs as well. Though I would rather keep religion out of this discussion because it has no place in it.
Do not quote proberbs at me as if I being evil. You sir are stepping way oit of bounds with that.

I would add that seeing as with Ron we have a reputable source for Turbos see as if you read my post you would see I also mentioned the Turbo Technics S280 . We are quite luckly for good service and contact. With Pumaspeed its back and forth between here and the UK as the American rep is not someone I would put a lot of stock with or really have alot of faith with.
So its really about service here and with Ron we have service. Perhaps if I lived in the UK I indeed would be saying go Pumaspeed I do not and most here do not.
Dude chill out, don’t be such a snowflake, you are reading way into everything I said.

Bottom line like I said, we have a lot of great options and should celebrate that rather than deem others as irrelevant.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
You could start by pulling as much weight as possible out of a base car, but yeah, it WILL take more power, as well as probably a limited slip diff, in addition to very sticky tires to get solidly into the 5 second range. [:(]

Mikey456

I think part of the traction problem is weight transfer on the FWD car. If you look at the FWD drag cars they have wheelie bars on the back. It’s my understanding that the racers use wheelie bars not to prevent wheelies but keep weight on the front wheels for traction off the line. That is why mid and rear engine cars do well off the line and excel in 0-60, etc.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
With any serious mods he would be getting a custom tune which would bring the redline up and allow 60 mph while still in second gear.
Even at 7200 RPM, you have to be lucky to bounce off 60... My ethanol tune has it set at the mechanical redline of 7200, and even when manually setting it at 7200 last year to play around with it, then I only achieved it once in 3 tries. Maybe 7250 would help and not sure if increments of 50 is possible or safe to take to 7250. I'm just saying overall this car is NOT a 0-60 machine, it really takes a lot of abuse to try to work it with the gearing as is, just a *tiny* bit taller final gearing would do this car good when tuned at ALL, even a Cobb Stage 1 that unlocks the ultra-safe torque truncated in the factory tune would be better off with very slightly taller gearing, but Ford dialed in so many things to work as one at the stock power levels, etc.

Mikey456

Even at 7200 RPM, you have to be lucky to bounce off 60... My ethanol tune has it set at the mechanical redline of 7200, and even when manually setting it at 7200 last year to play around with it, then I only achieved it once in 3 tries. Maybe 7250 would help and not sure if increments of 50 is possible or safe to take to 7250. I'm just saying overall this car is NOT a 0-60 machine, it really takes a lot of abuse to try to work it with the gearing as is, just a *tiny* bit taller final gearing would do this car good when tuned at ALL, even a Cobb Stage 1 that unlocks the ultra-safe torque truncated in the factory tune would be better off with very slightly taller gearing, but Ford dialed in so many things to work as one at the stock power levels, etc.
Has anybody messed with the final gear ratios here? Or does that require a complete tranny rebuild?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
While being a great late-brake, late-apex or cone hunting platform, the FiST isn't a good 0-anything platform. It's FWD, tire-limited, doesn't come with a mechanical LSD, and is tuned too much for the low end from the factory. That said:

Fattest, stickiest tires you can fit - 215/45 unless you flare. They'll also be taller than stock to help avoid the 2-3 shift.
Hybrid turbo - you're not going to have enough traction in 1st and 2nd to wring out a BT but a hybrid, at least, won't call on its face after 5000
Tune - cuz you've got a hybrid and you're gonna want to up the rev limiter to avoid a 2-3 shift
LSD - you're going to need the traction
Lighter Wheels - Google Fast Ford Lighter Wheel and read the PDF.
Practice - I don't know because I don't, but I hear that launching a FWD takes a skilled foot

I think that 0-60 is a silly thing to measure. 1/4, lap times, etc. are more meaningful measurements.
Even the 0.3" taller at 215/40/17 you can use with the stock wheels will help you hit that exact 60 mark when set at the mechanical redline of 7200, it's THAT close I was only able to hit it once bouncing off 60 in 2nd set at 7200. What's interesting in an odd and sad way, is that there is an even SHORTER final gear available for our trans, but when tuned at ALL, we really could use just a tiny bit taller final gearing option in the aftermarket... and the rest, yes, hard to launch with no LSD, it's been said lower RPM's are better to hook up and get going then quickly shift into 2nd... I'll be playing around with this as my ethanol tunes is finalized, I mean, I even hit 6.4 with a horrible launch on a Stratified 93 tune with only a drop-in, I'm sure a mid 5 second should easily possible when my tune doesn't have the power drop flat on it's face at 5500 either, it's actually quite a slow drop off when tuned right.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Dude chill out, don’t be such a snowflake, you are reading way into everything I said.

Bottom line like I said, we have a lot of great options and should celebrate that rather than deem others as irrelevant.
I am chill I just do not like people bringing religion and politics into discussions where they don’t belong. I hope you enjoy getting props for callimg me a snowflake because I am far from it.
Truth be told. You were the snowflake for reaction to my commets about Pumaspeed like you did.
In fact I could say you were acting a certain way and watch you snowflake the hell out.

Lol you should look at yourself before accusing someone of that

Last edited:

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I am chill I just do not like people bringing religion and politics into discussions where they don’t belong. I hope you enjoy getting props for callimg me a snowflake because I am far from it.
Truth be told. You were the snowflake for reaction to my commets about Pumaspeed like you did.
In fact I could say you were acting a certain way and watch you snowflake the hell out.

Lol you should look at yourself before accusing someone of that
I'm a hardcore atheist my Brother has a degree in ministry. Jeff is a religious Man that's a big part of his life he is going to talk about religion that's perfectly okay. You come off rude and disrespectful to people quite often. Jeff has been the largest contributor to this site since I've been on it.
We all have things we can improve on. It's a 2 way street.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited: