Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Money shift = transmission damage?

Hey guys, my first post is an unfortunate one. I have a 2019 fiesta st with about 48k miles. It's currently on the stage 1 cobb map. No mods other than the ap, a rear motor mount and catback exhaust. While doing a pull I accidentally miss shifted from 2nd to 3rd, I think I either hit the gate between 1st and 3rd or actually briefly engaged 1st gear. The car red lined, gears grinded, tires chirped. I could smell the clutch a little. Not good. I was able to clutch in shift to neutral and coasted for a bit, then gently engaged and shifted normally until I could pull over. I never received a check engine light or any other light like I've read some have gotten from a money/miss shift. I drove the car carefully and went through all the gears feeling for anything off. It seems to shift normally. The next day however I noticed I could hear the transmission louder than before, especially between 2k-3k rpm. It still shifts ok, I don't feel any grinding, resistance etc. Engine seems to be ok, I did some normal driving and some limited pulls while logging to check for any potential issues. I plan to do a transmission fluid change (just waiting on the fluid to be delivered). What else can I do to check for damaged? In this case would it be more likely for the transmission to be damaged from the miss shift, or engine from red lining it? Appreciate any help

Err if you cause a mechanical over rev bad things can happen. Just because the rev counter hits the redline, doesn't mean the engine stops revving. Maybe you got lucky .....maybe you declutched just in time. Did you just slam it forward without using the clutch? Or did you use the clutch, put it in whatever gear you selected and briefly brought the clutch up, then realised the error and popped it down again. If you'd really bent something i'd expect there to be noises / issues. Hopefully it's just a good lesson to slow down and shift properly.

Seen many dead Honda S2000s from folk doing this but that's a much higher RPM involved, usually done at 9k and nearly always on a downshift ( 6th to 2nd on a very narrow shift pattern) and then a nice excursion into the 11krpm plus range which really does bend stuff.

OP
crannon
Thread Starter #3
Err if you cause a mechanical over rev bad things can happen. Just because the rev counter hits the redline, doesn't mean the engine stops revving. Maybe you got lucky .....maybe you declutched just in time. Did you just slam it forward without using the clutch? Or did you use the clutch, put it in whatever gear you selected and briefly brought the clutch up, then realised the error and popped it down again. If you'd really bent something i'd expect there to be noises / issues. Hopefully it's just a good lesson to slow down and shift properly.

Seen many dead Honda S2000s from folk doing this but that's a much higher RPM involved, usually done at 9k and nearly always on a downshift ( 6th to 2nd on a very narrow shift pattern) and then a nice excursion into the 11krpm plus range which really does bend stuff.
I was using the clutch

Yea I’d say change the transmission fluid and engine oil. Install magnetic drain plugs if you haven’t already and see if there’s metal pieces in there. Listen for noises but you may be alright.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Usually money shifts damage the engine from overrevving it. The clutch gets some abuse too.

I'd drive gently for a few days and see if the engine seems normal. It's hard to conceive of damage to the transmission from what you did. And if the engine didn't go beyond redline it should be OK too. It's possible that what you think you are hearing is just because of hypersensitivity after the trauma of doing it.

OP
crannon
Thread Starter #9
Ordered some fluid and magnetic drain plug from whoosh. Should I get one of those little cameras to take a look inside when I change the fluid?