Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Moneyshift 2-1, clutch slipping.

So I money shifted on the ramp to highway and end up redlining and shifting into first. The car went into limp mode.

At first the engine was running rough at idle, and the clutch was slipping at 5000rpm. And there was definitely a burning smell (smelled like clutch but it been a long time).

Driving home I couldn’t get any power down and clutch was slip and car backfire because it was running rich. However in neutral engine sounds perfectly normal. By the time I got home I could put power down again with limited sliping.

No clicking, odd engine noise or transmission noise.

Did I get lucky and just overheat my clutch, or should I look deeper for damage.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
So I money shifted on the ramp to highway and end up redlining and shifting into first. The car went into limp mode.

At first the engine was running rough at idle, and the clutch was slipping at 5000rpm. And there was definitely a burning smell (smelled like clutch but it been a long time).

Driving home I couldn’t get any power down and clutch was slip and car backfire because it was running rich. However in neutral engine sounds perfectly normal. By the time I got home I could put power down again with limited sliping.

No clicking, odd engine noise or transmission noise.

Did I get lucky and just overheat my clutch, or should I look deeper for damage.
I’d go ahead and do an oil and trans fluid change. Capture each fluid separately and check for anything that’s not supposed to be there. Might’ve just roasted the clutch which would be a win, given the potential for more damage.

The weird sputtering and popping happened to my previous Fiesta when it went into limp mode. Wonder if that could come across like a slipping clutch and other weirdness. I don’t think that’s likely but food for thought!

Last edited:
OP
syasar
Thread Starter #4
So I have been driving it for a few days local and highway, it driving fine I guess but power delivery feels weird feels like its lagging. No cel and no problems with engine it seems no over heating.

Sometimes I have a hard time getting off from a stand still, which I can be what I’m guess is because the bite point changed from where is was before.

I think I cooked the clutch it was late at night, I think I forgot the depress the clutch, and let clutch cook I didn’t realize cause I was so tried. Hench the smell.

Bummer it’s a new clutch too, but glad to have not cooked the gears or engine. Do you guys think my suspicions are right?

dhminer

2000 Post Club
So I have been driving it for a few days local and highway, it driving fine I guess but power delivery feels weird feels like its lagging. No cel and no problems with engine it seems no over heating.

Sometimes I have a hard time getting off from a stand still, which I can be what I’m guess is because the bite point changed from where is was before.

I think I cooked the clutch it was late at night, I think I forgot the depress the clutch, and let clutch cook I didn’t realize cause I was so tried. Hench the smell.

Bummer it’s a new clutch too, but glad to have not cooked the gears or engine. Do you guys think my suspicions are right?
Sounds correct but it’s really impossible to tell. Input shaft might also be damaged as that’s common in this car.

Magnetic

A girl I dated drove my car once and she money shifted from the top of 3rd back down to 2nd. Same thinkg happened with the car going into limp mode. Like yours, mine felt like it was taking longer to spool and didn't have the same responsiveness it had before.

It never felt the same again. To this day.

Since then I put on a hybrid turbo and kept pressing my mechnic but he says its fine. But deep down I know something was up with it. Not sure what but I assume that's why my car makes less power than everyone else on a hybrid turbo.

I guess I'll never find out. That was in 2016 only 3 months after I got it.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
A girl I dated drove my car once and she money shifted from the top of 3rd back down to 2nd. Same thinkg happened with the car going into limp mode. Like yours, mine felt like it was taking longer to spool and didn't have the same responsiveness it had before.

Since then I put on a hybrid turbo and kept pressing my mechnic but he says its fine. But deep down I know something was up with it. Not sure what but I assume that's why my car makes less power than everyone else on a hybrid turbo.

Have you replaced the clutch since?

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I literally just got the car back yesterday and upgraded the clutch to the Whoosh stage 3 and the Mfactory LSD. I haven't been able to romp on it yet.

Are you thinking it might fix the issue?
Nice! I have zero firsthand knowledge of money shifting but from the sidelines over here I’m optimistic that it will!

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club

Have you replaced the girlfriend?