Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

More Positive Shifting: Let's get to the nitty gritty

Kazz

Yeah, had to steal part of the post title from one about intakes and exhaust that is simply awesome at getting down to the facts of what works and what doesn't. Basically, there are a lot of products out there that claim to improve shifter feel. But which ones actually work? Full disclosure, I've done nothing and probably won't for a while. I'm looking forward to my first autocrosses in my '16 in Stock/Street class. But if I have any single complaint about the car, other than rev hang, it would be the shifter. The linkage seems so floppy. And shifting feel can be very inconsistent.

My understanding of products available that claim to help shifting our cars:

Rear motor mount (RMM)
Shifter bushings (mounted underneath the shifter itself)
Linkage bushings
Transmission plate/adapter
Short shifter

If I'm missing anything, please let me know of any other "solutions" that are out there.

Otherwise, the purpose of this thread is to talk about each solution and it's perceived improvement in shifter feel and consistency. I'm more interested in what single solution worked best and then, perhaps, an upgrade path including multiple solutions and the order they should be installed in order to enjoy incremental improvements.

Thanks for any constructive, experience-based input here!

Just to be clear, you CAN'T change anything in the shifter or linkage in the SCCA Street classes. Also, the same applies to the RMM... I have a CPE RMM and the Mountune shit adapter plate waiting for the chance to get bolted on, but they will be off the car when my car gets autocrossed in street classes.

Just clarifying for anyone who may want to autocross after doing these to their car. Your car would be classes in STX instead of HS.

Spaceman_Spiff

In for comments. This is one of the few aspects of my car that I'd like to improve on in the near future.

Chris G

For what it's worth... I have a Mountune RMM, transmission shift bracket and base bushings, and short shift adapter and the shifting experience is much better than stock. The only other item I'll add here in the near future is a heavier shift knob and maybe get a stiffer RMM.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
I have the cp-e rear motor mount, the Mountune rear motor mount, and the COBB rear motor mount so I can change the stiffness depending on my mood [confuse]
soft to hard
Mountune > COBB > cp-e

Also, the Mountune Quick Shift kit with Mountune Shift Knob (ditched the COBB)

For my application, these parts have made the driving experience 100X better than stock and I'm frankly satisfied

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
My last two cars were RWD, direct into the gearbox's internal rail type shifters, so I also felt that the sloppy, 'wooden spoon in a pot of oatmeal' feel cable shifter of these cars was one of the few things 'lacking' from the factory.

I installed the; cp-e RMM, Mountune 'plate', and boomba under hood cable bracket solid bushings pretty much all at the same time, so I cannot tell you the effect EACH one had individually as far as their single influence on shift firmness/'feel'.
(I will probably never autocross this car, and maybe just do some SCCA 'Track Nights', or NASA open track/HPDE sessions, so I needn't worry about ridiculous H/Stock a/x rules. [wink])

But, at least in combination, they have resulted in a 100% BETTER shift 'feel', which is now MUCH more positive, and solid, without being 'notchy' (still smooth).

I could still use a little shorter throw (coming from aftermarket shifters which seemed to be almost HALF the throw length of this supposedly 30% already reduction [:(]).
But I am reluctant to do the boomba in the console, actual short shift handle, since there are mixed reviews (~50/50 on here) of it either; possibly binding/having extreme notchiness/even possibly not going into gear in combo with the MOUNTUNE 30% reduction plate, OR it being the BEST thing since the invention of the wheel. [dunno]

My last two cars were RWD, direct into the gearbox's internal rail type shifters, so I also felt that the sloppy, 'wooden spoon in a pot of oatmeal' feel cable shifter of these cars was one of the few things 'lacking' from the factory.
(I will probably never autocross this car, and maybe just do some SCCA Track Nights, or NASA open track sessions, so I am NOT worried about the ridiculous class rules for a/x. [wink])

I installed the; cp-e RMM, Mountune 'plate', and boomba under hood cable bracket solid bushings pretty much all at the same time, so i cannot tell you the effect EACH one had individually as far as their single influence on shift firmness/'feel'.

But, at least in combination, they have resulted in a 100% BETTER shift 'feel', which is now MUCH more positive, and solid, without being 'notchy' (still smooth).

I could still use a little shorter throw (coming from aftermarket shifters which seemed to be almost HALF the throw length of this supposedly 30% already reduction [:(]).
But I am reluctant to do the boomba in the console, actual short shift handle, since there are mixed reviews (~50/50 on here) of it either; possibly binding/having extreme notchiness/even possibly not going into gear in combo with the MOUNTUNE 30% reduction plate, OR it being the BEST thing since the invention of the wheel. [dunno]
Boomba short throw kit IS pretty notchy, but it's also the best thing I did to my shifting experience. If you're not a wuss, must buy. [cheerleader] haha

jeff

2000 Post Club
Boomba short throw kit IS pretty notchy, but it's also the best thing I did to my shifting experience. If you're not a wuss, must buy. [cheerleader] haha
FWIW my Boomba short throw isn't notchy at all but I don't have the full kit. I didn't do the solid bushings on purpose so as to avoid notchiness/metal feel. As it is it feels soft like stock, only much shorter.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^"Notchy" I don't mind at all, not being able to get it into gear due to cable bind I mind A LOT!![nono]

WHICH BRAND short shift PLATE/adapter do you have under the hood, on top of the gearbox (it's hard to tell from your sig)?

This is asked of FiSTofNoVa. [wink]

jeff

2000 Post Club
^^^"Notchy" I don't mind at all, not being able to get it into gear due to cable bind I mind A LOT!![nono]

WHICH BRAND short shift PLATE/adapter do you have under the hood, on top of the gearbox (it's hard to tell from your sig)?
If you were referring to me, I have the boomba quick shift plate and the boomba short shifter kit. It's buttery smooth. Heavy shift knob (JRB) made it super clunky so I went back to stock.

OP
Kazz

Kazz

Thread Starter #11
Just to be clear, you CAN'T change anything in the shifter or linkage in the SCCA Street classes. Also, the same applies to the RMM... I have a CPE RMM and the Mountune shit adapter plate waiting for the chance to get bolted on, but they will be off the car when my car gets autocrossed in street classes.

Just clarifying for anyone who may want to autocross after doing these to their car. Your car would be classes in STX instead of HS.
Thus my qualifier in my post: "Full disclosure, I've done nothing and probably won't for a while. I'm looking forward to my first autocrosses in my '16 in Stock/Street class."

OP
Kazz

Kazz

Thread Starter #12
FWIW, I debated leaving the short shifter off of the list because it would be the last thing I would do. Also, since it should only impact shifter knob travel, I would think it wouldn't have an impact. I'm much more interested in other solutions that actually improve positive shifting and feel - not throw distance.

Thus my qualifier in my post: "Full disclosure, I've done nothing and probably won't for a while. I'm looking forward to my first autocrosses in my '16 in Stock/Street class."
didn't think you were, but I just wanted to make sure someone else didn't show up at an event expecting for it to be legal in street class and get shoehorned into STX.

I wish there was something you could do in street class in regards to this. I'm really on the fence about modding this car in ways that take me out of HS. I plan on doing some NASA TT events this year, and there's no way i'll be competitive in SCCA HS trim. so anything i'd be doing will be easily removable/changable back to HS legal(thus the CPE RMM vs the COBB or Mountune). might be looking into a direct fit intercooler and potentially looking into getting some clarifications on comfort and convenience towards an oil cooler or some sort of additional oil cooling. It sucks having a car with such potential being held back by certain wording in the SCCA rules. But on the filpside, I can see certain chassis taking advantage of cooling allowances.

If you are only looking for feel, I'd say only do the shifter bushings. The ones on the linkage plate in the engine bay I felt made more of an improvement than the one underneath the shifter in the car. They are also easier to get to.

I'd go with the stock knob as well, as the heavier the knob is the easier the shifts which means less feel. I had the whole boomba set up on my FoST and tried the cobb knob, boomba's and Anarchy motive's 1.5lb knob. I eventually went back to stock knob. Also, after 2.5 years of driving on that set up, second gear was getting a little harder to get into than other gears. Not sure what the cause of that was but I've since sold the car.

As for the RMM, im not so sure if it affects shifting much. The engine moves the most under load and you don't really shift at those moments anyway.

Oh, maybe add a throttle pedal spacer for the heels and toes.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
You guys are so lucky, saying all these mods have improved the shifting. I have thrown everything at this car and it still shifts like shit, even if it was semi-smooth, I'd be happy. But, it's the shits of life!

Rmm
Engine mounts
Full shift kit+ all the bushings
Trnaismission fluid change

Nothing;-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, i don't think there is anything you can do to get the equivalent feel of a direct shifter. My rx7 with full solid mounts (engine, subframes, transmission, differential, suspension bushings) and mazdatrix short shifter was serious mechanical shift feel glory... that said...
The only FWD shifter I felt was superior to the FIST is from a honda.

I only have the CP-E mount (almost fully broken in.. only get some NVH in the 1100-1500 rpm range!) and a super heavy super tall custom shift knob from wclathewerks.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Honestly, i don't think there is anything you can do to get the equivalent feel of a direct shifter. My rx7 with full solid mounts (engine, subframes, transmission, differential, suspension bushings) and mazdatrix short shifter was serious mechanical shift feel glory... that said...
The only FWD shifter I felt was superior to the FIST is from a honda.

I only have the CP-E mount (almost fully broken in.. only get some NVH in the 1100-1500 rpm range!) and a super heavy super tall custom shift knob from wclathewerks.
I agree your statement Honda>FiST

Just sucks, that it feels so shitty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I understand shifting feel is one of the most subjective things to comment on and as a fiesta noob that hasn't tried the other products that are out there, let alone done a side by side comparison study to really speak to the difference each makes incrementally or separately first hand, feel free to take this with a grain of salt. But...

I would suggest adding a weighted shift knob to your list. Nothing that Arnold Schwarzenegger could-use-to-work-out heavy, just a 'step up' over stock.

I realize this goes against what one member said, but let me explain. When I picked up my car there was only one thing that felt 'off' to me as a driver rowing through the gears - and that was the stock shift knob. I could almost feel the shift arm + linkage during shifts through the knob, and in a bad way, where all the small imperfections encountered during the shifting motion were somehow 'picked up' and extended up and into my arm. I remember having to pay way too much attention to ensure I didn't miss a gear or have any shift bind. Not that my transmission is like that (I believe it to be very smooth actually and have not had any problems to date knock on wood) so that was the thing - it felt like I was at risk of doing something wrong, especially during the 0-1-2 shifts, that quite frankly, it became the single bottleneck IMO of the driving experience overall.

Fortunately I picked up on this during a test drive and had one sitting at home by the time I took delivery of the FiST. I went with the 270g boomba knob as I felt this was just the right size and weight without going too overboard. Without glamorizing it, i will say I think this is the best 100 bucks I spent so far. The shifts are still a bit long and somewhat vague feeling BUT WITH THE ADDED MOMENTUM OF THE KNOB they carry themselves all the way to the end of each stroke in a more predictable and confidence inspiring way which adds to the positive shifting experience. I can literally shift gears with the flick of my wrist both on a cold start in the winter and after a spirited run on a hot summer day. I think buttery smooth is a great way to describe it.

I hope this post does not come off as me ranting, I just think that anyone who wants to improve the shift quality should begin by upgrading their knob first (just don't over do the weight as too much of a good thing, i.e. in this case momentum, can be a bad thing). Then, make an assessment about if the cable/linkage is due for an adjustment or if a shorter throw length mod is really what you are after. [driving]

The thing that really had the most impact was filling the engine mounts with urethane. I have the mountune short shift kit, bushings, knob, and Motul 300. Before the engine mounts I would have constant issues with not being able to shift into gear leading me to grind every now and then. So far I have not had any issues and shifting is crisp and direct.

Ford Community Posts