Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune Catback Exhaust Questions

Hachi2Go

Hi all,

I bought a (new-to-me) 2016 Fiesta ST back in 2019 for daily driving duties and been loving it since. When the PO purchased the car from the Ford dealership, he had them install the MP215 upgrade.
The only modifications I have added since are Hawk brake pads (stock pads had insane dust!) and Firehawk Indy 500 tires. I came from dailying a stock 1989 Toyota MR2, so even the light mods to my FiST feel insanely quick to me.
Anyways, I now want a louder (but mature) sounding exhaust. Going through some forum threads and YouTube clips, I think the Mountune High Flow Exhaust is the best fit for me. Plus I like the idea of keeping the Mountune theme going :).
Being in California and a newbie when it comes to car mods, I have a couple of questions:
  1. Are aftermarket exhaust systems legal in California? The research I have done suggests that any catback exhaust is fine as long as it does not exceed 95 dB sound limit. Can someone confirm?
  2. The Mountune exhaust appears to be OOS on their website. Are there any other trusted websites or stores that offer the exhaust?
  3. The install appears to be quite straight forward other than an issue with the exhaust hangers being too loose. What is a good alternative exhaust hanger?
  4. The YouTube clips are great but only showcases the sound from outside. How is the sound from inside the car (with and without the windows closed)?
  5. People seem to agree that the Mountune exhaust is the tamest compared to the alternatives. Although FSWerks and Thermal seems to be referenced a lot due to their similarities (little to no drone, great sound). I am always open to other suggestions.
Thanks for reading! Here's a picture of my Fist :).
IMG_20200209_165840.jpg

Congrats on your car! This will repeat some of the other posts but here goes obligatory...

If possible, try to find someone with another FiST that has that exhaust on and listen to it. Videos convey poorly what you'll hear and feel in the car with the new exhaust. It may be fine for most rev range but then you may find it drones too much for you at this one spot where you like to keep the revs when driving around and that ruins the whole experience (ask me how I know). On top of that, everyone's sensations will vary so you may hear everyone telling you the exhaust is fine and then you find out its not. In conclusion, if you have that option, getting a feel for the exhaust before shelling out for it may save you money and hassle.

Whatever you do, don't make my mistake and keep the stock system until you're absolutely damn sure you like the new one better.

Good luck! Now I'm going to see myself out before Thermal people get here.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Ford Performance sells them and generally discounts Mountune and free shipping sometimes. I purchased my MP-215 in 2016 for $200 less than Mountune. Try Levittown Ford Performance parts. Levittown had the exhaust delivered for $50 less about 6 months ago, but at the same time Mountune had the radiator for $100 cheaper delivered than Levittown back them. Mountune shift knob was also cheaper with shipping at Ford.

My understand about aftermarket exhausts being legal in CA is the same as yours. I'm in LA and have had a Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust for a couple years now. Aggressive exhaust note but comfortably under 95 dB, so no issues with cops except one cop being over dramatic about my Rev Matching :LOL: Other cops leave me alone.

Crv

I have the mountune as bought with the mr230 pack...and I can offer some impressions-

If quality is important to you I could say that this is by far the best made exhaust I’ve ever fitted its apparent from the unboxing and any time your under the car you will marvel at it especially the bespoke serial stamp, 2nd from a noise perspective it’s perfect with just the right amount of throat but at cruising speeds it’s nominal with zero drone really. My only concern is the gauge which at 2.5 inches won’t allow for max tuning but is the same as stock and I can’t see it causing you inspection issues...I’d bet the down pipe might be a bigger issue...I’d recommend it as long as you have no big turbo aspirations or even hybrid turbo upgrades for that matter...great piece though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I have the mountune as bought with the mr230 pack...and I can offer some impressions-

If quality is important to you I could say that this is by far the best made exhaust I’ve ever fitted its apparent from the unboxing and any time your under the car you will marvel at it especially the bespoke serial stamp, 2nd from a noise perspective it’s perfect with just the right amount of throat but at cruising speeds it’s nominal with zero drone really. My only concern is the gauge which at 2.5 inches won’t allow for max tuning but is the same as stock and I can’t see it causing you inspection issues...I’d bet the down pipe might be a bigger issue...I’d recommend it as long as you have no big turbo aspirations or even hybrid turbo upgrades for that matter...great piece though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually, 2.5" is the DIAMETER of the piping, not the gauge, which is the wall thickness of the 304 stainless steel from which this system is made (i.e.; 14 gauge, 16 gauge, etc.).

Also, our factory system is a slight bit smaller than this (and other) 2.5" systems in diameter (closer to 2.25"), so one still gets a little bit of tuning/bigger turbo 'headroom' with them anyway (a POSITIVE thing, while not drawing too much attention to it from inspectors due to it appearing so close to factory in diameter [thumb]). [wink]

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Though I should add its pretty much around the same price as a Thermal so you might want to consider the Thermal as well. The two are both great choices. Thermal has 3 inch piping vs Mountune’s 2.5 .

jeff

2000 Post Club
I have Mountune catback on my car, have for 2 years. Get it. I've installed many exhausts on many cars. Cheap ones, expensive ones. I really did my research before buying this one and listened to all the clips. Like others said you can't really tell from video clips but it does help. The sound in real life exceeded my expectations. It's exactly what others said. Perfect sound, there but not too much. Noticeable in and outside of the car. I'd liken it to a S series Audi sound in the sense that an enthusiast would hear it and think "that car has something special" but it won't bother the neighbors when you come home.

Stronger hangers are a good idea.

Install is easy, you just have to cut the stock exhaust in half. Do a search and you'll find the best place and way to do it. Don't cut on a bend, if you do it will be harder to sell the stock piece. I cut mine on a straight section making it easy to re-use with a simple exhaust clamp from AutoZone. Then I sold it for $250, and I got the Mountune for $620 shipped new (sale at Mountune), so it only cost me net $370. I actually e-mailed Mountune and asked them if I could have the sale price even though it wasn't on sale and they said sure and gave it to me. Be careful not to cut into the gas tank when you cut, if you use a sawzall like I did, it's right there where you're working.

The stuff others said about tuning and pipe size is irrelevant unless you're going for >350whp. My car has over 300 and exhaust isn't the limiting factor, fuel is.

This is the one you want. Get it. It's pricey but it's worth it.

OP
H

Hachi2Go

Thread Starter #11
Thank you everyone for your comments! I really appreciate your inputs. I think this is just reinforcing the idea of siding with the Mountune, especially after hearing Jeff's video.

Stronger hangers are a good idea.

Install is easy, you just have to cut the stock exhaust in half. Do a search and you'll find the best place and way to do it.
So I was under the impression that I can just unbolt my stock exhaust and bolt the new one in. The picture on the Mountune website showed the beginning of the exhaust pipe having a flange with two bolts.
Also may I ask what kind of hangers you are using? Thanks!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
You will never get the full factory system out from under the car uncut, and in one piece, unless you unbolt the dampers (and maybe the bushed 'arms' as well?[dunno]), and drop down the rear beam axle.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
You will never get the full factory system out from under the car uncut, and in one piece, unless you unbolt the dampers (and maybe the bushed 'arms' as well?[dunno]), and drop down the rear beam axle.
yup ask me how I know this.:LOL: Its also probably why I have never sold my stock exhaust how the hell do you transport it one piece besides using a truck.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thank you everyone for your comments! I really appreciate your inputs. I think this is just reinforcing the idea of siding with the Mountune, especially after hearing Jeff's video.

So I was under the impression that I can just unbolt my stock exhaust and bolt the new one in. The picture on the Mountune website showed the beginning of the exhaust pipe having a flange with two bolts.
Also may I ask what kind of hangers you are using? Thanks!
Keep in mind yours might not sound exactly like mine...don't want to mislead you. It will sound similar but won't have the cracks and pops unless you get a tune to that effect. Also depending on your downpipe situation the sound could be altered.

I went with Cobb hangers.

As others have said the only way to remove the stock exhaust in one piece is to remove a good bit of other components. Totally not worth it as dude said above you can't transport it in one piece anyway so why keep it in one piece? Sort of like remove engine before installing air filter lol. Most people that want a used stock exhaust will certainly not mind and understand that it needs to be in two pieces. Like I said cut it in a straight section (not a bend!) where it can be easily spliced with a coupler from anywhere and you're good. Pro tip: Include the coupler when you sell it. I've used coupled exhausts many times with no leak issues. I mean heck all exhausts are coupled somewhere, there are always joints, you are just adding one.

The reason Mountune has it pictured the way they do is theirs comes in pieces so it can be installed easily. To my point above, your stock exhaust will now be in the same number of pieces.