Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune Intercooler vs Whoosh

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
So my next step I'm gonna take is a new FMIC. So, I was thinking either the

Mountune full intercooler kit (includes IC and hoses and charge pipes) is on sale for $712 (Summwr discount went on twice for whatever reason, $180 discount)

Or

Whoosh V3 IC and Mishimoto pipe kit, which comes out to be $700 as well.

So, which is better? Thanks again.

Spork1569

So my next step I'm gonna take is a new FMIC. So, I was thinking either the

Mountune full intercooler kit (includes IC and hoses and charge pipes) is on sale for $712 (Summwr discount went on twice for whatever reason, $180 discount)

Or

Whoosh V3 IC and Mishimoto pipe kit, which comes out to be $700 as well.

So, which is better? Thanks again.
If they're about the same price I'd be inclined to buy the Mountune. Their stuff is pricey but the quality is top notch. I have not been disappointed with any of the parts I've purchased from em(RMM squeaks a little bit it's liveable with some grease)

You could probably get the Whoosh IC boost hoses for cheaper than mishi btw. I have the red silicone ones and the quality is top notch, very little flex compared to the stock hoses.

Jeff has a video on em too if I recall correctly he did a review of em.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
You don't need the hoses save yourself some money. @jeff ran his car for a long time with the stock hoses until he tried out the ones made by whoosh, and did a write up on them. He did gain a little bit of power from them but he also has a X47 Turbo. The only pipe I would change out is the hot side charge pipe.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
Hypergram

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
You don't need the hoses save yourself some money. @jeff ran his car for a long time with the stock hoses until he tried out the ones made by whoosh, and did a write up on them. He did gain a little bit of power from them but he also has a X47 Turbo. The only pipe I would change out is the hot side charge pipe.

So it's not worth changing the OEM hoses out? MT has the hot side pipe too, but it's not as good a deal.

jeff

2000 Post Club
The hoses do nothing for performance. The only reason to get the hoses is if you wanted a meth port. Replacing that J shaped pipe did change the tone a little bit, not loud or just different. Some say it is a restriction, in truth it’s less of a restriction and just the fact that there is a little bit of baffle that hides some of the noise, but it’s less a restriction and more of just some extra baffling added outside the diameter of the pipe itself. Other than that it’s just bling. In my case I was offered a killer deal on the kit in exchange for a review so I did it. It was fun and it looks nice too, I can’t complain.

In terms of the intercooler itself I cannot comment, I have a Cobb unit. I’m sure either of your options will work great.

By the way you titled this thread intake, I think you meant intercooler.

Here’s my review:

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4K1RdW5mBNY

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
So it's not worth changing the OEM hoses out? MT has the hot side pipe too, but it's not as good a deal.
In my opinion it's not necessary. Not with a stock Turbo pointless. But the hot side charge pipe does have a restriction in it get the one from whoosh. Use the 5% discount code whatever it is and you're under $500.
Now you have $200 extra dollars to do something else with .

Listen to Jeff. What He is calling the j pipe is also called the hot side charge pipe.

OP
Hypergram

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
The hoses do nothing for performance. The only reason to get the hoses is if you wanted a meth port. Replacing that J shaped pipe did change the tone a little bit, not loud or just different. Some say it is a restriction, in truth it’s less of a restriction and just the fact that there is a little bit of baffle that hides some of the noise, but it’s less a restriction and more of just some extra baffling added outside the diameter of the pipe itself. Other than that it’s just bling. In my case I was offered a killer deal on the kit in exchange for a review so I did it. It was fun and it looks nice too, I can’t complain.

In terms of the intercooler itself I cannot comment, I have a Cobb unit. I’m sure either of your options will work great.

Here’s my review:

Thanks for the heads up! Changing the hoses looked like a lot of work so I'm glad I don't have to change them. And yes, I fixed the title.

Spork1569

How easy is it to change this pipe out if all you have is a jack and jackstands OR ramps?
Very easy, it was one of the first mods I did after the RMM and found it simple even as someone with little wrenching experience.

Once you lift the front up, on the left side near the boost hoses you'll see the J pipe leading up to the turbo. All you need to do is loosen 2 hose clamps to get the original pipe out. Be careful as some oil may be in the pipe or boost hoses from blowby, but otherwise you just stick the new one in and tighten the hoses.

I have the Whoosh V1 and the Mishi hot and cold pipe kit....$594 shipped for both. I debated the V2 (3) for a while but in the end I think I made the right call. The pipes were easy honestly since the front clip is already off anyway (took an extra half hour or so). The intercooler was more of a pain as it would not fit as nicely as I would like but I hear the V3 doesn't have that problem. Plus the pipe kit came with an optional symposer delete so that saved me $20 or so I would have spent anyway. There really is no gain from the kit but I like the clean look of the pipes without all the rubber factory hoses....plus quite a bit more turbo spool and blow off sound. 90 degrees last week here and my highest charge temp was 98 and that when I first started the car.

Very easy, it was one of the first mods I did after the RMM and found it simple even as someone with little wrenching experience.

Once you lift the front up, on the left side near the boost hoses you'll see the J pipe leading up to the turbo. All you need to do is loosen 2 hose clamps to get the original pipe out. Be careful as some oil may be in the pipe or boost hoses from blowby, but otherwise you just stick the new one in and tighten the hoses.
Nice, that doesnt sound too bad. I just have to find some ramps..

OP
Hypergram

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13

Here’s my review:

Oh shit, you're the guy who did the Top 30 Mods video! I've seen the video like 20 times, no idea that was you! Great work on both of the videos.

OP
Hypergram

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
Gonna probably go with Whoosh since it is remarkably inexpensive, the IC, Hot pipe, and Symposer delete all came out at $475 with the 5% discount. The Mountune IC is just over $500 on its own, without the other parts. But I am still curious about what the differences are between the two. Also, I saw that Ron had a stencil for sale too. How would I go about painting the logo? Just buy a can of spray paint or something? Is it not bad to get paint on something like that? Thank you.

Last edited:

Spork1569

Gonna probably go with Whoosh since it is remarkably inexpensive, the IC, Hot pipe, and Symposer delete all came out at $475 with the 5% discount. The Mountune IC is just over $500 on its own, without the other parts. But I am still curious about what the differences are between the two. Also, I saw that Ron had a stencil for sale too. How would I go about painting the logo? Just buy a can of spray paint or something? Is it not bad to get paint on something like that? Thank you.
Get some heat resistant paint from autozone and it should be good to go. Also you can message Ron and ask him to spray the decal for you I believe, shoot him an email.

OP
Hypergram

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #16
Get some heat resistant paint from autozone and it should be good to go. Also you can message Ron and ask him to spray the decal for you I believe, shoot him an email.
Damn, that would be great. When I order it, I'll definitely do that. I thought about doing that originally but thought that would be outside the realm of reason. Guess not. Thanks again.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I just installed the Mountune today. I got in in the FB3 package which was an AP, Mountune aIrbox, Mountune Intercooler, Mountune RMM. All for $1092 last year on sale during Labor day less than a month away and Mountune is prone to do sales.
Now if you break that down its a pretty damn good deal it basically means I wound up with the intercooler for about $365 I was going to sell it but said f it I will put it on since it is the newer bar and plate version which they sell with the MRX kit now.
The Whoosh is cheaper and if you are just buying the intercooler alone I would go that way. Though the kit I got which include custom tunes by Randy at Mountune pretty much sealed the deal for me. Plus I am in Cali and the airbox and the intercooler and hoses are all carb legal so it means less hassle as I carry the EO sheet in my glove box.

OP
Hypergram

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #18
I just installed the Mountune today. I got in in the FB3 package which was an AP, Mountune aIrbox, Mountune Intercooler, Mountune RMM. All for $1092 last year on sale during Labor day less than a month away and Mountune is prone to do sales.
Now if you break that down its a pretty damn good deal it basically means I wound up with the intercooler for about $365 I was going to sell it but said f it I will put it on since it is the newer bar and plate version which they sell with the MRX kit now.
The Whoosh is cheaper and if you are just buying the intercooler alone I would go that way. Though the kit I got which include custom tunes by Randy at Mountune pretty much sealed the deal for me. Plus I am in Cali and the airbox and the intercooler and hoses are all carb legal so it means less hassle as I carry the EO sheet in my glove box.
I would have done the same, but I already have the MT Airbox and a RMM. I do need an AP, symposer delete, and charge pipe. I was gonna buy the later two from Whoosh with the IC.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Oh shit, you're the guy who did the Top 30 Mods video! I've seen the video like 20 times, no idea that was you! Great work on both of the videos.
Haha yeah that video got some major hate but it also racked up 187k views so what the heck. Many of those mods are no longer even on my car but there are some good ideas there.

That video was more nonsense mods but if you check my channel there are some pretty decent reviews, I took a lot of time to try to explain installs/results from most of the major mods I've done. Turbo, tuning, tires, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrWcIlf35_tuKbgGY3WQHCg?view_as=subscriber

OP
Hypergram

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #20
Haha yeah that video got some major hate but it also racked up 187k views so what the heck. Many of those mods are no longer even on my car but there are some good ideas there.

That video was more nonsense mods but if you check my channel there are some pretty decent reviews, I took a lot of time to try to explain installs/results from most of the major mods I've done. Turbo, tuning, tires, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrWcIlf35_tuKbgGY3WQHCg?view_as=subscriber
Yeah, I saw all that hate. I don't really get it, but people love to hate and complain so just ignore it.