Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune Intercooler

Chuckable

Posted this up on one of the other forums, and would like to hear from members here as well.

I've got the MP215 kit installed and the next mod will likely be an intercooler. Many of you on this forum have a great wealth of experience with different types and brand intercoolers. I'm soliciting your opinion on the Mountune intercooler: mountune Fiesta ST Intercooler Upgrade high flow efficient bolt on maximum cooling

There have been some great comparison threads, but this is focused on the Mountune unit as it's the only warranty-friendly intercooler. Too small? Too expensive? Poor design? Compromised to allow enough airflow to the radiator? Etc. I'd like to hear your thoughts and experiences.

I daily drive my car and will be autocrossing and doing a track day every couple of months in South Florida, which means high heat and humidity. Thanks in advance!

airjor13

2000 Post Club
It's expensive and it's tube and fin, I m sure it's well made but I am partial to bar and plate

OP
C

Chuckable

Thread Starter #3
Not trying to reignite a debate on bar & plate versus tube & fin as that's been covered before. But if members still want to address that issue then go for it.

FocusMike

Considering both Cobb and Airtec both use the bar and plate design should be a good indicator which one you should go with. If you are getting Mountune for warranty reasons then there isn't much of a competition.

Harvick

1000 Post Club
The tube and fin is lighter but overall they are cheaper than the bar and plate. For me with Mountune you are paying more for a less expensive product.

I like the bar and plate for heat soak issues but a tube and fin works just as well all be it needs a little more surface area for heat soak. In my Abarth I ran an ATM intercooler with extruded bars that where aerodynamically shaped for better flow, it was by far the best design with hours upon hours of data logging. Waranty is another issues, they would have to prove that an aftermarket intercooler was at fault for being better than oem?

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Posted this up on one of the other forums, and would like to hear from members here as well.

I've got the MP215 kit installed and the next mod will likely be an intercooler. Many of you on this forum have a great wealth of experience with different types and brand intercoolers. I'm soliciting your opinion on the Mountune intercooler: mountune Fiesta ST Intercooler Upgrade high flow efficient bolt on maximum cooling

There have been some great comparison threads, but this is focused on the Mountune unit as it's the only warranty-friendly intercooler. Too small? Too expensive? Poor design? Compromised to allow enough airflow to the radiator? Etc. I'd like to hear your thoughts and experiences.

I daily drive my car and will be autocrossing and doing a track day every couple of months in South Florida, which means high heat and humidity. Thanks in advance!
I can speak on the mountune intercooler as I actually have one and have done plenty of datalogging with it. IMO, it is a good intercooler designed perfectly for the FiST. The fit and finish are outstanding, it doesn't add a bunch of weight to the car and I have no plans on upgrading to a larger or different type of intercooler in the future. It is an upgrade from the stocker...that's for sure. Now, with that being said...there are intercoolers that may or may not perform better. After a WOT 2500 to 6500 rpm pull, I will typically see a rise in charge temps of 12-18 degrees F. After the pull, the charge temps quickly drop back to within 5-10 degrees F of ambient temp. Very quickly. If you are planning on being a heavy racer, then you may want to consider a more robust intercooler. It really all depends on your plans.

OP
C

Chuckable

Thread Starter #8
I'm no heavy racer, and want to stay warranty-friendly. As an attorney who used to work on Lemon Law and Magnuson Moss warranty issues I can tell you that it's not as easy as you may think to be able to dispute a warranty claim. My father is in the business on the service side as well, and from what I understand many service advisors and techs are car guys (and girls) just like us, but if they attempt to warranty something which is questionable then they can get in trouble. If your car overheats and warps the head, and you have an aftermarket intercooler then it's not far-fetched for them to say that it blocked airflow to the radiator and caused overheating. How are you going to prove or disprove it without getting an expensive expert and spending money on litigation?

airjor13

2000 Post Club
I'm no heavy racer, and want to stay warranty-friendly. As an attorney who used to work on Lemon Law and Magnuson Moss warranty issues I can tell you that it's not as easy as you may think to be able to dispute a warranty claim. My father is in the business on the service side as well, and from what I understand many service advisors and techs are car guys (and girls) just like us, but if they attempt to warranty something which is questionable then they can get in trouble. If your car overheats and warps the head, and you have an aftermarket intercooler then it's not far-fetched for them to say that it blocked airflow to the radiator and caused overheating. How are you going to prove or disprove it without getting an expensive expert and spending money on litigation?
Hits the nail right on the head. Yes, if warranty is an issue, then Mountune IC from Ford Racing and installed at an authorized Ford Dealer is the only way to go.

Personally I think I kissed my warranty goodbye a good while ago....[bawling]

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Chuckable>
Very valid point from somebody with actual case histories in warranty claims, thanks for posting it, much appreciated:)

Warranty for some like me, gone before 300 miles on the car. I accept the risk so do whatever I want to all vehicles I own except my latest Duramax as engine and trans repairs are nuts expensive and I retired so it has an intake and dual exhaust tips but makes enough power for my needs.

My feelings on warranties in general, moderate mods, take care of the car, swap a few parts back to get it taken care of, no worries.

Major mods, run the crap out of it, break it, get it warrantied, that is asking us to pay for your repairs, the cost goes to the consumers;)

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
I can speak on the mountune intercooler as I actually have one and have done plenty of datalogging with it. IMO, it is a good intercooler designed perfectly for the FiST. The fit and finish are outstanding, it doesn't add a bunch of weight to the car and I have no plans on upgrading to a larger or different type of intercooler in the future. It is an upgrade from the stocker...that's for sure. Now, with that being said...there are intercoolers that may or may not perform better. After a WOT 2500 to 6500 rpm pull, I will typically see a rise in charge temps of 12-18 degrees F. After the pull, the charge temps quickly drop back to within 5-10 degrees F of ambient temp. Very quickly. If you are planning on being a heavy racer, then you may want to consider a more robust intercooler. It really all depends on your plans.
It would be interesting to see someone with a Cobb FMIC and another with a Mountune FMIC to post some datalogs for comparison.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I went with the Mishimoto J line intercooler to get lots of core area due to running laps all out and will do so in high heat situations. Now I am considering swapping to the Cobb as I recall it is the next largest and has great end tank designs and would save 6-7 lbs which is very important to me.

I was just looking for the IC comparison post that shows the core sizes of all the current options but it did not come up, anybody have the link to it?

Bringing this up as you will want a very good core for track day use in FL weather.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
It would be interesting to see someone with a Cobb FMIC and another with a Mountune FMIC to post some datalogs for comparison.
Here was a recent e20 tuning run I did where I also logged charge temps with a Cobb IC installed....

Max increase in charge temps seen (4th gear / WOT / 24psi max / 2000~6200rpm) was ~7 degrees (73F to 80F) ....For reference the FiST's stock IC usually saw increases in charge temps close to ~30 degrees...

Cobb IC - 7 degree change in charge temp.png

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Here was a recent e20 tuning run I did where I also logged charge temps with a Cobb IC installed....

Max increase in charge temps seen (4th gear / WOT / 24psi max / 2000~6200rpm) was ~7 degrees (73F to 80F) ....For reference the FiST's stock IC usually saw increases in charge temps close to ~30 degrees...

View attachment 3389
This would put the mountune somewhere in between the stock and Cobb, which seems about right considering the size diff. The mountune itself is almost exactly the same size as the stocker with a couple extra rows. The Cobb is considerably larger.

OP
C

Chuckable

Thread Starter #15
This is great data. Thanks to all who contributed! I agree that the only way to properly compare is on the same day with the same tunes, with the Cobb vs. Mountune being the only variable. My assumption with the Mountune is that is's slightly smaller in order to ensure airflow to the condenser and radiator, but that's pure speculation. Most running bigger intercoolers are running higher boost and other mods, so there's no way to know if any given intercooler is for sure causing an overheat situation on the track.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Intercooler Size Comparisons

Here is a list of various Intercoolers available comparing physical dimensions that was posted awhile back by another member here on our forum which may be useful information when considering which IC to install based on one's needs ....

Stock FiST IC
Core Dimensions:
27.5" x 5.25" x 2"
Core Volume:
288.75 in

Mishimoto J-Line IC
Core Dimensions:
22" x 7.2" x 3.75"
Core Volume:
594 in
69.1589% difference over OEM FiST IC
18.1818% difference over Cobb IC

Cobb IC
Core Dimensions:
27.5" x 6" x 3"
Core Volume:
495 in
52.6316% difference over OEM FiST IC
5.6075% difference over ATP IC

ATP IC
Core Dimensions:
24" x 6.5" x 3"
Core Volume:
468 in
47.3736% difference over OEM FiST IC
1.2903% difference over AIRTEC IC

AIRTEC IC
Core Dimensions:
28" x 6" x 2.75"
Core Volume:
462 in
46.1538% difference over OEM FiST IC
9.4122% difference over Mountune IC

Mountune IC
Core Dimensions:
29.25" x 5.75" x 2.5"
Core Volume:
420.47 in
37.145% difference over OEM FiST IC
3.4401% difference over OEM FoST IC

me32

1000 Post Club
Here is a list of various Intercoolers available comparing physical dimensions that was posted awhile back by another member here on our forum which may be useful information when considering which IC to install based on one's needs ....

Stock FiST IC
Core Dimensions:
27.5" x 5.25" x 2"
Core Volume:
288.75 in

Mishimoto J-Line IC
Core Dimensions:
22" x 7.2" x 3.75"
Core Volume:
594 in
69.1589% difference over OEM FiST IC
18.1818% difference over Cobb IC

Cobb IC
Core Dimensions:
27.5" x 6" x 3"
Core Volume:
495 in
52.6316% difference over OEM FiST IC
5.6075% difference over ATP IC

ATP IC
Core Dimensions:
24" x 6.5" x 3"
Core Volume:
468 in
47.3736% difference over OEM FiST IC
1.2903% difference over AIRTEC IC

AIRTEC IC
Core Dimensions:
28" x 6" x 2.75"
Core Volume:
462 in
46.1538% difference over OEM FiST IC
9.4122% difference over Mountune IC

Mountune IC
Core Dimensions:
29.25" x 5.75" x 2.5"
Core Volume:
420.47 in
37.145% difference over OEM FiST IC
3.4401% difference over OEM FoST IC
Thanks for the info

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Wider core is better in more air directly hitting the face of it but there are many aspects to consider how air flows through the core as well which gets more involved.

Very important, how much air is going through it compared to around it, sealing up the airflow to it will help a great deal.

You can increase airflow through it and more exit under the radiator by drilling holes in the lower radiator support between the grids and making sure clear exit path, it does not help to have a big core with no place for the air to exit except mostly into the other coolers.

That is a pretty easy mod and well worth doing.

I went big with the J-Line but need to take more weight out of the front as so much removed from the rear it is a bit out of balance at 130MPH and hard on the brakes. That is why I am looking at the next smaller IC which is the Cobb, still very good size, wide core, much lower weight, better end tank, inlet and outlet design so it should flow better but that might make it a bit less effective in cooling but still should do what I need.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
I went big with the J-Line but need to take more weight out of the front as so much removed from the rear it is a bit out of balance at 130MPH and hard on the brakes. That is why I am looking at the next smaller IC which is the Cobb, still very good size, wide core, much lower weight, better end tank, inlet and outlet design so it should flow better but that might make it a bit less effective in cooling but still should do what I need.
Hey Rick...Do you have any logs or temp plots of the J-Line you can post to show the J-line cooling efficiency that we can compare to? I think this info would be helpful for those where maximized cooling efficiency is a top priority particularly for race conditions...much appreciated!!

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have over 130 logs so it would take some time to go through them and the warmest day was around 70 degrees with very cool temps logged is what I can say for now. I have to get busy on a copper plumbing job right now but later on I will take a look:)