Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune lowering springs install and now caster is off spec

Hello All,

Just installed the Mountune sport lowering springs and took the car for an alignment right after. It needed an alignment and was done. Everything is good expect for the caster. Left front is 4.8 and right front is 3.9. Not sure what it was prior to the lowering springs install. Based on factory specs, they are basically in line. My concern is why are they different form right to left when everything I read up on says for sure they should be the same. I have attached a picture of the alignment report and spec sheets on what everything should be for our cars.

Anyone have any ideas or feedback on why this is and how to rectify it ?

Attachments

Caster, unlike toe and camber, isn’t a static measurement. It will constantly change (slightly) as your suspension travels. The important thing you need is for the numbers to be positive. This will effect the centering of the steering wheel. A lower positive number will center more slowly than a higher positive number.

Caster is generally controlled by the angle created by your steering rack and where it attaches to the hub to control your steering angle. Since this is relative to your current suspension compression there isn’t a way to realistically adjust it without messing with either ride height or how your steering rack attaches to the hub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
DaveZtoA
Thread Starter #3
Caster, unlike toe and camber, isn’t a static measurement. It will constantly change (slightly) as your suspension travels. The important thing you need is for the numbers to be positive. This will effect the centering of the steering wheel. A lower positive number will center more slowly than a higher positive number.

Caster is generally controlled by the angle created by your steering rack and where it attaches to the hub to control your steering angle. Since this is relative to your current suspension compression there isn’t a way to realistically adjust it without messing with either ride height or how your steering rack attaches to the hub.

Appreciate the detailed explanation and makes perfect sense now. It’s off by .9 degrees from left to right. That could very well be that the springs haven’t settled yet when the alignment was performed as the wheels are slightly different ride height. I would imagine once the springs settle and ride height is very close to all being the same. The caster will adjust and be more inline from left to right. Thank You for your help brother.

OP
DaveZtoA
Thread Starter #4

How long would you say it typically takes for springs to settle to their permanent ride height?
Right now its been about three days and the front drivers and rear passenger are the same height as each other (slightly lower then the other two wheels) and the front passenger and rear drivers are the same height as each other. (Slightly higher then the other two wheels) Is that normal and will all be even once completely settled in?

How long would you say it typically takes for springs to settle to their permanent ride height?
Right now its been about three days and the front drivers and rear passenger are the same height as each other (slightly lower then the other two wheels) and the front passenger and rear drivers are the same height as each other. (Slightly higher then the other two wheels) Is that normal and will all be even once completely settled in?
That will vary from spring to spring, I’d say everything should be fully settled within 5k miles though.