Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune Mp215 Mtune

Sorry for the nooby question but I jumped the gun on purchasing something without doing a ton of research on and want to make sure I didn't make a mistake.

I have a 2014 ST with a Cobb CAI, Depo Intercooler, and Cobb RMM.
I ordered an Mountune MP 215 Mtune, just the tuner. Will I have any issue with this on my vehicle or should everything be fine?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Should've ordered a Cobb ap3 ...if you can return it and get the cobb access port 3. Its more useful for using tunes and easier to deal with. Plus you can order it from a vendor like Stratified tuning with a flash tune or Dizzy tuning with a flash tune.

OP
bisossk
Thread Starter #3
I planned on ordered the Cobb but I got a good deal on the Mountune. I will eventually get a Cobb but for now I want to stick with the Mountune. Do you forsee me having any issues?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yeap your stuck using their Tunes only...you CANT just go....I think ill try Stratifieds flashtune this time.....Dizzytune or Tunes plus. You're stuck using there OTS tunes. Do yourself a favor and RETURN IT while you can.

You wont have any problems using the tune, the only other thing that comes with the mp215 kit is the mountune intake kit but that's it. You also have an upgraded intercooler so it will be totally safe to use the tune.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Your car will be fine. Like Typhoon said, you'll be stuck with Mountune's "canned" generic tune. You won't be able to use a more agressive or even custom tailored tunes.

If that is okay with you, you're golden.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Zormecteon

Don't get me wrong, I love my mp215 that I put on when I had only about 6k miles and am now approaching 60k miles. It's a blast and it kept the warranty and that is/was important to ME. But having the tune locked so that only a dealer can take it off has been a small hassle. When I wanted a key made, they had to unlock it to access the ECU, then put it back on. That meant that I wound up paying over $500 for a spare key. It still would have been expensive but not more than double. Next I took it in for the overheating recall. That particular dealer couldn't get the tune to unlock (saying the Ford servers were down for over a week!?) so I still don't have the "fix". If I were doing it again and the warranty had already expired I would get the AP from mountune AND pay to have the custom tuning done. That way I would have all the COBB programming, the mountune standard tune, custom tune and could change them out at my discretion.

YMMV
My 2¢

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
You're good to go. Flash the tune. It's a nice little bump in power with no downsides. Doesn't even hurt mileage (for me, anyway). The only thing I keep the AP for is so I can check for codes. No codes yet.

OP
bisossk
Thread Starter #10
Don't get me wrong, I love my mp215 that I put on when I had only about 6k miles and am now approaching 60k miles. It's a blast and it kept the warranty and that is/was important to ME. But having the tune locked so that only a dealer can take it off has been a small hassle. When I wanted a key made, they had to unlock it to access the ECU, then put it back on. That meant that I wound up paying over $500 for a spare key. It still would have been expensive but not more than double. Next I took it in for the overheating recall. That particular dealer couldn't get the tune to unlock (saying the Ford servers were down for over a week!?) so I still don't have the "fix". If I were doing it again and the warranty had already expired I would get the AP from mountune AND pay to have the custom tuning done. That way I would have all the COBB programming, the mountune standard tune, custom tune and could change them out at my discretion.

YMMV
My 2¢
So I could never remove the tune myself?

Mikey456

I have looked into this subject a lot. I have read that u can go to the dealer and they can remove it. This key thing I don’t get, but I have read that u can override this tune by buying another AP and installing another tune. I don’t know at that point how u could go back to stock if u wanted. That’s why I’m second guessing getting the Mtune myself. Maybe too much hassle for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
bisossk
Thread Starter #12
My main worry is eventually when I sell this car and want to set it back to stock, how would I go about flashing it back to the stock tune.
Does anybody have any concrete information on this?

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
My main worry is eventually when I sell this car and want to set it back to stock, how would I go about flashing it back to the stock tune.
Does anybody have any concrete information on this?
There's no way to undo it yourself. I wouldn't bother. Just leave a panel filter in it, and it'll be fine. It's a selling point. Who doesn't want a FiST with a little extra oomph?

If you really want to change it back, a dealer can do it, or maybe someone with an AP with the stock tune on it.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
This is just one of the reason you should get a Cobb access port/AP3.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
This is just one of the reason you should get a Cobb access port/AP3.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
He already bought this one. If it hasn't been installed, he can still sell it, though.

An AP you can really play with will do more for the money.

I'm happy with the MP215 tune, for what I do with the car.
You can get more out of it with the mods already in place.

Last edited:

Mikey456

Just out of curiosity, what are these keys look like and how do they work? And you can buy a spare key?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The Key is most likely just a software program that only an Authorized dealer has and isn't available to the public.

Zormecteon

The differences between the mtune and the mp215 tune is that the mtune comes with the mp215 tune programming, and more. It's tunes can be changed, unloaded, upgraded, removed, and could void the warranty, while the mp215 comes with ONE tune that is only removable by a FORD dealer, but gest registered with Ford and doesn't void the warranty. The reason it's locked is because it complies with California CARB law, a condition mandated for warranty compliance and Ford approval.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I have enjoyed having the Mountune MP215 tune. It's a nice extra bump of power, and the fact that it preserved the warranty on my 2016 gives me some peace of mind. The tune is quite well tested.
It doesn't push the power envelope, and that's what I wanted because even past the warranty I wanted to preserve the reliability of the car, I love this thing and hope to keep it for a long time. For that reason I also retained the stock paper filter to provide a higher level of filtration, probably at the cost of a very few horsepower and a little bit of sound. A lot of people on here said that the paper filter works fine with the MP215 kit.
It doesn't require any data logging or back and forth communication with a tuner, and I didn't want to mess with either one of those things.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm like Capri. I plan to keep the car for a long time, keep it close to stock, and enjoy its economy and performance without having to fiddle with it. I also wanted a CAI, and it comes with one. Score!

It's like getting your car with the "scat pack" or whatever. A 4-barrel and a hood scoop. [driving]