Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune Quick Shifter ???

Hello Everyone,

I am looking into the Mountune Quick Shifter and would like some feedback, thoughts and insight.

I really like and enjoy how as is OEM the throws are light, very easy and almost effortless. Although it would be nice if the throws were shorter. So was wondering if adding the Mountune Quick Shifter would it make the throws heavier and take more of an effort to change / get in gears? Or the only real difference would be a shorter throw and all else stay the same?

Appreciate the help and experience

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have it. Love it.
It does have a little more effort, but it snicks right in. It's easier.
I barely need to move my arm.

OP
DaveZtoA
Thread Starter #4
Good to hear and appreciate the feedback.

So it takes a little more effort but overall feels easier then OEM? I just don’t want it to positively effect the length of throws but in turn feel heavier or require much more effort to change gears. I love how easy it is to drive now both clutch feel and gear shift changes. So trying to get informed before I make the purchase, which I am leaning towards.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
I should amend my original comment from "sloppy" to "long"; I have been spoiled by Honda gearboxes over the years. I did not notice any extra effort.

OP
DaveZtoA
Thread Starter #6
I should amend my original comment from "sloppy" to "long"; I have been spoiled by Honda gearboxes over the years. I did not notice any extra effort.
Agreed, they are long throws and for certain would benefit for being shorter. Good to hear about no extra effort.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have it also...Hands down the best one out there and I've owned two others to compare it too. The fitment and the quality ARE THERE. Unlike some of the others that seem to be machined a little off and don't fit together perfect. It goes to 30% unlike the others are 25% reduction.

Spork1569

Definitely do it. Have tried 3 different kits and this ones hands down the best.

I would also recommend doing the bushings for sure as it helps tighten up the shifting feel, and the boomba lever if you really want to crank the shortness up a notch.

Any short throw adapter is definitely going to result in a noticeably harder shift feel. You're shortening the lever arm that the shift cable is acting on which results in a shorter shift, but also means you will require more force to get the same effect.

OEM shift is long but feels smooth as butter. I found that I lost that when I went to the Mountune adapter BUT I didn't miss it as the quick and sharp feel that the Mountune provides is excellent. After changing for a slightly heavier shift knob it is closer to that stock feel, just shorter.

OP
DaveZtoA
Thread Starter #10
Any short throw adapter is definitely going to result in a noticeably harder shift feel. You're shortening the lever arm that the shift cable is acting on which results in a shorter shift, but also means you will require more force to get the same effect.

OEM shift is long but feels smooth as butter. I found that I lost that when I went to the Mountune adapter BUT I didn't miss it as the quick and sharp feel that the Mountune provides is excellent. After changing for a slightly heavier shift knob it is closer to that stock feel, just shorter.
Appreciate the feedback, So you did notice a difference after install in that it takes more effort to engage gears? But you feel a heavier shift knob helped but how much so?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I have one, and installed it within a month of taking delivery of the car.

It is probably the single BEST mechanical improvement/mod I have done to this car, and I never in a million years would have thought that a cable shifted, FWD car's gearbox/shifter could have EVER felt this great (I've never owned one of the 'sainted' 'duh FWD cars/gearboxes) until I installed this part. [:)] [driving]

I was planning on doing the boomba interior short shifter handle as well, to make the throw micron-short, but the Mountune plate by itself is soooo fine, that I don't even want to risk breaking that piece everyone seems to crack when installing that mod.

I

OP
DaveZtoA
Thread Starter #12
I have one, and installed it within a month of taking delivery of the car.

It is probably the single BEST mechanical improvement/mod I have done to this car, and I never in a million years would have thought that a cable shifted, FWD car's gearbox/shifter could have EVER felt this great (I've never owned one of the 'sainted' 'duh FWD cars/gearboxes) until I installed this part. [:)] [driving]

I was planning on doing the boomba interior short shifter handle as well, to make the throw micron-short, but the Mountune plate by itself is soooo fine, that I don't even want to risk breaking that piece everyone seems to crack when installing that mod.

I
Great to hear and appreciate it brother. Did you notice that it took extra effort to change gears or felt any different over stock other then a shorter throw?

Appreciate the feedback, So you did notice a difference after install in that it takes more effort to engage gears? But you feel a heavier shift knob helped but how much so?
Yeah there is a noticeable difference but only right after the install. A week later I was so used to it that the only time it felt harder was going into 1st or reverse right after starting the car.

As far as the knob, I'd say if the mountune adapter makes it 20% harder to shift, the knob I am using took it down to 10%. That's super subjective but that's all I got for ya. The knob is the Ford Performance carbon fiber one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079H3SRZ9/?coliid=I1D6S4488YNL3I&colid=21NOXNITAY9MO&psc=1
Slightly heavier than stock but not sure of the exact weight.

I say go ahead and do it. If you decide it's not for you, you'll be able to get fairly close to retail reselling it here or in some of the FB groups.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Great to hear and appreciate it brother. Did you notice that it took extra effort to change gears or felt any different over stock other then a shorter throw?
To me at least, the actual effort seemed NO greater than the factory setup, and it actually seemed easier to get into the next gear for me, but then I may be the wrong one to ask since I came directly from a Pro 5.0 shifter equipped,T-56 gearbox in a 4th gen Z28, which was very solid, but also VERY 'notchy' during shifts.

Like I said, I have NO Honda FWD experiences whatsoever to compare it to, as many others on here have had. [wink]

I also second the Ford Performance carbon look knob suggestion as well, since I have one, and have NO desire to ever change it out for anything else. [:)] [driving]

DesertRat

I just installed one and love it. It may take slightly more effort but it really isn't noticeable after the first couple of days. Like most of the others have said it isn't a type-r or gsr feel but it's close-ish. Go for it, especially since you can get 20% off right now. mountuneshortshift.PNG

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
I honestly don’t know what the fuss is about - the reduction in the throw is considerable and I don’t have any issues with the shifting. You’re not going to increase your workouts to compensate for the extra force - because there’s no appreciable difference. Granted, I don’t recall how easy it was for the week that I had the Ford stuff, but it’s no harder than any of the sticks that I have or have had.

But - it won’t make it as short as the one in the Honda 2000 tho....

If you upgrade the transmission fluid while your installing the the quick shifter. You will not notice a difference in the effort takes to shift through the gears. It might feel easier. I have the Mountune quick shifter with Motul DCTF and it feels effortless. I also put a tiny bit of grease on the ball joint attachment while installing.

OP
DaveZtoA
Thread Starter #19
If you upgrade the transmission fluid while your installing the the quick shifter. You will not notice a difference in the effort takes to shift through the gears. It might feel easier. I have the Mountune quick shifter with Motul DCTF and it feels effortless. I also put a tiny bit of grease on the ball joint attachment while installing.
Just installed the Mountune RMM & FMIC, oil change with Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic 5w-20, transmission fluid flush and change with Ravenol MTF-2 - 75W-80. Major difference overall. So makes a lot of sense what your saying and I can see how it will help.
Good idea and tip about lubricating the ball joint attachment. I am going to do the same, thanks.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I honestly don’t know what the fuss is about - the reduction in the throw is considerable and I don’t have any issues with the shifting. You’re not going to increase your workouts to compensate for the extra force - because there’s no appreciable difference. Granted, I don’t recall how easy it was for the week that I had the Ford stuff, but it’s no harder than any of the sticks that I have or have had.

But - it won’t make it as short as the one in the Honda 2000 tho....
AGREED!

The shifters/gearboxes in the Nippon in-line engine, RWD roadsters (S2000/Miata) make a light switch seem like a long throw, by comparison, from what I am told. [wink] [driving]