Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune Radiator installed - Oil Temps Still High?

I recently tracked at Laguna Seca with an upgraded radiator for the first time. Just opened the datalogs today, and although coolant stayed under 230 degrees, oil was up to 250 before I backed off in fear. The car never got into limp mode though.

That being said, it was only about 70 degrees ambient. I'm worried that this radiator couldn't keep up at a hotter track (say Thunderhill in the summer). Additionally, is there a max oil temp I have to watch out for before I start getting engine damage/warping, or would the car limp mode before that?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Are you positive that this system is bled properly??

I would be more worried about those coolant temps than the oil temps (especially if you are using a quality synthetic, like that article states), in only a 70*F ambient, with a Mountune installed.

Unless you were riding the rev limiter every single second on track. [???:)]

OP
F
Thread Starter #4
Are you positive that this system is bled properly??

I would be more worried about those coolant temps than the oil temps (especially if you are using a quality synthetic, like that article states), in only a 70*F ambient, with a Mountune installed.

Unless you were riding the rev limiter every single second on track. [???:)]
I'd sure hope it was bled right! I followed the Mountune procedure, idled for a good 25 min with the coolant cap off and heater up to max. I'm currently running a mix of 50/50 Ford Yellow and Distilled water, and I added in water wetter as the bottle said that while less effective than if just used with water, it should still help bring temps down a few degrees.

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
The oil temp is not to bad, install an upgraded oil cooler, what oil are you running? The water temp is high, what temp thermostat are you using? Are the fans working correctly? Have you done the grill mod?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
The oil temp is not to bad, install an upgraded oil cooler, what oil are you running? The water temp is high, what temp thermostat are you using? Are the fans working correctly? Have you done the grill mod?
Thermostat does not matter I have run my car in near 100 degree temps with the Mountune and hi revs and did not see over 210 F I might even have had my air on because it was so hot out.
Per the articles posted his oil temps are fine.

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
Thermostat does not matter I have run my car in near 100 degree temps with the Mountune and hi revs and did not see over 210 F I might even have had my air on because it was so hot out.
Per the articles posted his oil temps are fine.
Not knowing his set up I just asked the standard questions. I see in your write up your running an upgraded intercooler(I forgot to ask about that). That would make a good bit of difference.

I have a 2017 and it would overheat in traffic on 90 degree days. On the track, it would overheat in 60 degree ambient temps.

Installed a Mountune radiator, 180 degree thermostat, and have a Whoosh intercooler. Also a Cobb AP and Stage 3 ots tune.

I've tracked in 90 degree ambient temps multiple times, left the car idling, and overall pushed it harder than I did before the radiator and I haven't exceeded engine temp above 210 since the radiator was installed. It's been absolutely flawless since then.

Oil temps, as estimated through the Cobb, haven't shown greater than 225.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Not knowing his set up I just asked the standard questions. I see in your write up your running an upgraded intercooler(I forgot to ask about that). That would make a good bit of difference.
hmm it would help charge temps and you would have less heat soak at higher temps due to increased capacity, but beyond that a larger intercooler might cut down on cooling capabilities in our cars as it takes up more room and airflow leading to the radiator. Now mine is in the stock position and really does not cut into radiator airflow drastically. though what it does for my charge temps does not have that much impact on the actual running temp of my engine. Its as simple as this your charge temps get hot youā€™re down on power aka heatsoak. Your charge temps donā€™t get hot you have more power.
Running the engine in the higher rev range definitely has an effect on engine temp. Hence why I spoke up as when I am in the canyons I tend to run revs up. I like being in the peak of the power band all the time. Plus I just love winding engines up rather than low revving it in a higher gear.

OP
F
Thread Starter #11
I have a 2017 and it would overheat in traffic on 90 degree days. On the track, it would overheat in 60 degree ambient temps.

Installed a Mountune radiator, 180 degree thermostat, and have a Whoosh intercooler. Also a Cobb AP and Stage 3 ots tune.

I've tracked in 90 degree ambient temps multiple times, left the car idling, and overall pushed it harder than I did before the radiator and I haven't exceeded engine temp above 210 since the radiator was installed. It's been absolutely flawless since then.

Oil temps, as estimated through the Cobb, haven't shown greater than 225.
What coolant mix were you running? I'm surprised at how much lower your numbers were, considering you were running a tune (I tracked on the stock tune) and that higher ambient temp.

What coolant mix were you running? I'm surprised at how much lower your numbers were, considering you were running a tune (I tracked on the stock tune) and that higher ambient temp.
I am surprised to hear your numbers with a Mountune installed. Very different from what I'm getting. I run 50/50. Nothing special. I ran Water Wetter on the stock radiator just to try something, but haven't bothered with the new setup.

Did you also replace your thermostat? You shouldn't have to replace it, but maybe something is up there?

I don't even top 195 in regular driving. And when sitting in traffic it will hit 192-194 and then I can watch it drop into the 180s as the fan kicks on.

Definitely something going on. I have the Whoosh v3 IC, so I don't have anything blocking the radiator. If you do, maybe that explains the higher temps?

OP
F
Thread Starter #13
I am surprised to hear your numbers with a Mountune installed. Very different from what I'm getting. I run 50/50. Nothing special. I ran Water Wetter on the stock radiator just to try something, but haven't bothered with the new setup.

Did you also replace your thermostat? You shouldn't have to replace it, but maybe something is up there?

I don't even top 195 in regular driving. And when sitting in traffic it will hit 192-194 and then I can watch it drop into the 180s as the fan kicks on.

Definitely something going on. I have the Whoosh v3 IC, so I don't have anything blocking the radiator. If you do, maybe that explains the higher temps?
If anything, the dealer replaced my thermostat. I took it in for the coolant tank recall, and I think that is supposed to come with a 180 degree thermostat (along with a revised coolant expansion tank). And I also don't have a monster-sized FMIC, just a Whoosh V1 knockoff. Gonna go for a drive now and check my coolant temp.

OP
F
Thread Starter #14
Alright, back from a drive, ambient temps were 70-80F and low humidity. Here's what I saw:

Urban driving, low traffic (~45mph): Oil 185F, Coolant 180-185F
Freeway driving (between 70-80mph): Oil 200F, Coolant 185-190F
Spirited backroad carving in 3rd gear (level ground): Oil 195F, Coolant 185F
Steep uphill backroad carving 2nd and 3rd gear: Oil 220F, Coolant 210-220F
Stopped at drive thru: Oil 195F, Coolant up to 215F

I'm really not sure what to make of any of those numbers. Seems like uphill definitely heats up the car the most but that makes sense. Temps never got above 215F waiting at the drive thru, so I'm guessing the fan kicks on about then.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
You did not have the air on for ANY of the above, correct (not even at the drive through)??
Factory tune and turbo, correct?

I believe that Ford programs the ECM to not turn on the fan until the coolant hits almost 220*F or so, with the AC off (and I believe that is only the low speed setting at that, but someone PLEASE correct me if I have that wrong!).

Yup, WAY TOO HIGH for my liking. [mad]

The Mountune may be the only thing which is preventing your temps from getting to that point, even without the fan kicking on.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Another poster in this thread can verify that I too have done some very spirited driving.
I NEVER had any over heating issues of any kind, even on track days.
The only engine mods I had were the 17S09 recall that included a 180Ā° stat with 70/30 coolant mix, a Mountune IC, and a custom tune.
I ALWAYS kept the AC on.
Maybe the other big factor was my vented hood.

SrsBsns

Alright, back from a drive, ambient temps were 70-80F and low humidity. Here's what I saw:

I'm really not sure what to make of any of those numbers. Seems like uphill definitely heats up the car the most but that makes sense. Temps never got above 215F waiting at the drive thru, so I'm guessing the fan kicks on about then.
This sounds right to me. Maybe a little high while going uphill, but that definitely is where the most load will be on the turbo/motor.

The only other thing I would recommend would adding a bottle of water wetter and/or running a higher % of water. I added a bottle of water wetter and am running about 60% water 40% coolant since installing the Mountune rad and very rarely ever see coolant temps over 200, even on mountain roads.

I'll be on-track this Saturday afternoon. I know I've shared temps, but I'm happy to get more specific.

Maybe the difference is the 180 degree thermostat but I thought I'd read from others with the stock thermostat and Mountune they saw lower temps than these.

Headed to Atlanta Motorsports Park this afternoon for a member day.

- full tank of fuel
- no A/C
- averaged 13.8 mpg
- ambient temp 87 degrees F (sunny and approximately 70% humidity)
- Mountune Radiator
- 180 degree thermostat
- Stage 3 Cobb OTS tune
- Temps shared are as shown from Cobb AP

I ran four sessions.

First session was just dialed in and tire pressures up so I could pit and set the pressures. Coolant 205/Oil 210

Sessions 2-4 were pushing as I was chasing my friend in his Miata and a member in a BMW E30.
My engines temps hit 212 and oil temp spiked at 228.

On each cool down lap, which is roughly 1.85 miles, the coolant temp would drop to 196-198.

I would say your temps aren't as out of line, given you were pushing that hard, as I originally thought.

I would also add that the temp bars in the dash neverove beyond four bars.

SST

for those who ran water wetter, how much should i pour in? entire 12oz/355mL ?

thinking to use a turkey baster to suck out the same amount, is this the right way to do it?