Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune Tuning

Hello All,

I am about to order and install the Mountune FB2 package that includes the Tune from Mountune. Anyone have experience with their tune and can provide some feedback and insight on how the car felt, reacted and so on after install? Also any issues have arisen from the tune, concerns or anything negative? Do we have to make any other changes to our cars after the tune is installed? Such as different spark plugs, coil packs or any other oem parts that don’t work well with the tune?

Hello All,

I am about to order and install the Mountune FB2 package that includes the Tune from Mountune. Anyone have experience with their tune and can provide some feedback and insight on how the car felt, reacted and so on after install? Also any issues have arisen from the tune, concerns or anything negative? Do we have to make any other changes to our cars after the tune is installed? Such as different spark plugs, coil packs or any other oem parts that don’t work well with the tune?
Make sure you have a battery tender. It’s good practice to have the battery hooked upped while flashing your tune. I didn’t realize this before getting my AP3, and having one on hand in advance will give you more time to focus on data logging. This is important because you only get 45 days to work with Randy.

Randy the tuner provides you with written directions for data logging; try to follow them as closely as possible. Usually takes a week for him to reply after you email him your logs. I had a Positive experience and am very satisfied with the tune we settled on.

Read up on negative ignition corrections via google search and search this forum.

Find and buy good gas that is Top Tier and consistently nets a 1.00 octane adjust ratio. Costco has been my choice but their are other brands.

OP
DaveZtoA
Thread Starter #4
Randy the tuner provides you with written directions for data logging; try to follow them as closely as possible. Usually takes a week for him to reply after you email him your logs. I had a Positive experience and am very satisfied with the tune we settled on.

Read up on negative ignition corrections via google search and search this forum.

Find and buy good gas that is Top Tier and consistently nets a 1.00 octane adjust ratio. Costco has been my choice but their are other brands.
Appreciate your feedback and experience. Did you have any issues when the tune was first installed and before you settled on a tune?

First tune that came with the AP was too aggressive for my car.

Randy dialed back spark and as I data logged each revision, negative corrections decreased in both amount and frequency.

I also did not use god gas once and had to find a better brand and needed to switch to mp slot 4 to ensure engine was not affected.

OP
DaveZtoA
Thread Starter #6
First tune that came with the AP was too aggressive for my car.

Randy dialed back spark and as I data logged each revision, negative corrections decreased in both amount and frequency.

I also did not use god gas once and had to find a better brand and needed to switch to mp slot 4 to ensure engine was not affected.
Without data logging, how would you know if everything is ok and running well? Also isn't causing any issues or damage to the vehicle? I would think that Mountune would have the original tune more on the mild / conservative side also that they have done so many of our cars they would have it near perfect right out the box.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Without data logging, how would you know if everything is ok and running well? Also isn't causing any issues or damage to the vehicle? I would think that Mountune would have the original tune more on the mild / conservative side also that they have done so many of our cars they would have it near perfect right out the box.
My first tune from Mountune was the one I ended up keeping. Randy made some adjustments on a second tune, and they resulted in too many negative ignition corrections, so we rolled it back. Gasoline quality is a significant variable, so I'd prefer to stay on a relatively conservative tune.

OP
DaveZtoA
Thread Starter #8
My first tune from Mountune was the one I ended up keeping. Randy made some adjustments on a second tune, and they resulted in too many negative ignition corrections, so we rolled it back. Gasoline quality is a significant variable, so I'd prefer to stay on a relatively conservative tune.
So you recommend data logging and sending to Mountune to see how things are running? What should we look and check for once the tune is installed and how best to do so and monitor?

green_henry

1000 Post Club
So you recommend data logging and sending to Mountune to see how things are running? What should we look and check for once the tune is installed and how best to do so and monitor?
Randy/Mountune sends a very explicit list of what to monitor. Most of them are enabled by default but you will need to make a few changes -- disabling some, enabling others.

Negative ignition corrections are the main thing to monitor.

OP
DaveZtoA
Thread Starter #12
Randy/Mountune sends a very explicit list of what to monitor. Most of them are enabled by default but you will need to make a few changes -- disabling some, enabling others.

Negative ignition corrections are the main thing to monitor.
I assume everything that needs to be monitored I can do so with the AP and also the things I need to enable or disable will be done through the AP? I would be able to access all the information / data right on the access port or how so? Also is it always storing all this information / data or only while I am data logging ?

green_henry

1000 Post Club
I assume everything that needs to be monitored I can do so with the AP and also the things I need to enable or disable will be done through the AP? I would be able to access all the information / data right on the access port or how so? Also is it always storing all this information / data or only while I am data logging ?
Yes, it's all through the AP. It's only stored while you are logging because it would run out of space -- that's why you need to disable some of the default settings. The datalogs download as CSVs, so you can review them yourself in Excel (or whatever)

OP
DaveZtoA
Thread Starter #14
Yes, it's all through the AP. It's only stored while you are logging because it would run out of space -- that's why you need to disable some of the default settings. The datalogs download as CSVs, so you can review them yourself in Excel (or whatever)
Got it and makes sense, thanks for all your help. So Mountune will let me know exactly what to enable, disable and look for? How often should we be data logging to check all is in order and running well? From my understanding, you can only data log in third or forth gear with a pull to red line? Is this the case or how best to data log and how often?

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Got it and makes sense, thanks for all your help. So Mountune will let me know exactly what to enable, disable and look for? How often should we be data logging to check all is in order and running well? From my understanding, you can only data log in third or forth gear with a pull to red line? Is this the case or how best to data log and how often?
Yes, Randy provides very specific instructions on what to log. The logging is in 3rd or 4th gear, and it's important that throttle is 100% (WOT). 3rd gear is the most practical unless you have access to an abandoned airstrip :giggle: You need to minimize your WOT runs in case the tune is too hot.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

karp

Hello All,

I had a great experience. I did three revisions and Randy said we had room for more performance improvement. I bowed out, to stay conservative. It feels way boostier than stock. That brings me to my only complaint:

After waiting a month to get my back-ordered AP, the part showed up while I was in China for several weeks on business. So, between that delay and needing a few days to reorient when I returned, I lost a significant portion of my 45 days.

All-in-all I'd say: The tuning results are great; Randy is great; Mountune parts are great; but, their stock status and backorder BS is really lame!

I'm just wrapping up my tuning with Randy and things have been going well. I did "back to back" data logs at sunset when the roads are clear, and sent Randy 2 data logs at one time every week. A week later he replied back with a new tune with small adjustments. I just sent him my last two data logs, but sent 12 in total over the 45 day tuning period. Make sure you scout out a nice flat and smooth road ahead of time. My first two data logs were taken on a bumpy road, and Randy noticed.

OP
DaveZtoA
Thread Starter #20
I had a great experience. I did three revisions and Randy said we had room for more performance improvement. I bowed out, to stay conservative. It feels way boostier than stock. That brings me to my only complaint:

After waiting a month to get my back-ordered AP, the part showed up while I was in China for several weeks on business. So, between that delay and needing a few days to reorient when I returned, I lost a significant portion of my 45 days.

All-in-all I'd say: The tuning results are great; Randy is great; Mountune parts are great; but, their stock status and backorder BS is really lame!
Appreciate your feedback and experience so far, it’s all good to know and hear.

Seems to be the reoccurring theme. Mountune has quality parts that work really well and get the job done. Randy is a seasoned, knowledgeable, quality tuner. But the wait time for the items and for some reason items never being in stock is a royal pain.

I called today to follow up on my order and although the website said in stock. Almost my whole order isn’t in stock and about three weeks out. It is what it is and in the big picture of things. Rather have that then the parts and tuner being the issue. So for now we wait.

Last edited: