Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Moving East; Need Some Advice

So we just got military orders to Wright-Patterson AFB (Dayton, OH). Neither of us has ever lived east of the Mississippi OR, anywhere that gets regular snow.

I know we'll need winter tires/wheels. My question is how can I (should I) protect the undercarriage of our two ST's. I've heard we can just wipe down the metal components with WD40; any thoughts on this? Better ideas? Just FYI I can put both cars on a lift so access is not a problem. Any specefic trouble spots to look out for?

Sam4

Specific Trouble Spots - Chiraq, Detroit, East St Loo, Camden. Just watch "Live PD" and then stay away from those too....WD40 ain't gonna help there!
Just regular washing is about all you can do. Coin operated during the winter to blast the underside when you can.

If your thinking about WD40 go with another product called FluidFilm. It will need reapplication seasonally but I know people who swear by it. I myself am going to use POR15 on mine which is a permanent paint but will also require touch ups seasonally to keep that barrier in tact. POR15 will be much more work as it doesn’t just wash off your finish coat like FluidFilm will do so spraying from a gun becomes more complicated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Specific Trouble Spots - Chiraq, Detroit, East St Loo, Camden. Just watch "Live PD" and then stay away from those too....WD40 ain't gonna help there!
Just regular washing is about all you can do. Coin operated during the winter to blast the underside when you can.
...or your very OWN, at least 1700 PSI power washer, IF the base allows those, and allows you to use them. [wink]

OP
KWeaver
Thread Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys. Most military bases have an auto shop which we can use; $8-10 / hr for a lift. My plan was to take both vehicles there before we leave and apply some type of protectant. Looking for something relatively easy to apply; preferable in a spray can. Re-coating every year won't be a problem.

When I was asking about trouble spots I was referring to metal prone to rust on the car :). Having only lived in central Texas and California rust simply is not an issue I've never had to deal with it.

However I will avoid those areas you mentioned.

CSM

1000 Post Club
My car did 3 winters in Wisconsin. After a round of snowstorms/road salt, I would just go to the coin operated touchless car washes with the undercar spray. nearing 70k miles now and it looks great underneath the car.

If you want to apply a sealant yourself, best bet is the generic 3M rubberized undercoat stuff.
https://www.amazon.com/3M-03584-Pro...Undercoating/dp/B002H9CMCQ?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1

I had a friend at work that did this to all of his cars and swears by it

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
When I was asking about trouble spots I was referring to metal prone to rust on the car :). Having only lived in central Texas and California rust simply is not an issue I've never had to deal with it.
The front subframe, and control arms, as well as the front damper bodies' seam welds seem to be the most rust-prone from what I have observed living in a salt soup area.
I hit them every year with some (brushed-on) POR-15, mid to late October, just to keep it in check.