Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Moving out of comifornia!

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
As the title states I'm getting out of comiforia. Looks like I'm heading to east Kansas/ west Missouri. I'll be looking for traffic control work in that area. If you guys have any leads I would be extremely grateful! I have done it out here where the standards are usually higher for coming up on 14yrs I'm selling my house and with the stupid prices out here with everyone moving from LA and OC to where I'm at. I can make enough to buy a larger house with a lil bit of land with cash. Atm I'm planning on staying out here for probably half the year making enough to take care of the family for the rest of the year while home. This is only temporary so there is no gap in income and it will kill me to do it forever.

Thx for any opinions yall have.

P.S. I'm not bringing any comiforia views with me and as soon as I have time the smog laws out there will alow me to s280 the fist!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

ronmcdon

I think thats the right move with the EPA cracking down more and more, and agreed with the scary cost of living. thinking of doing the same although more interested in Las Vegas myself.

Curious why Kansas or Missouri? Seems like an uncommon choice but maybe thats the appeal.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
As the title states I'm getting out of comiforia. Looks like I'm heading to east Kansas/ west Missouri. I'll be looking for traffic control work in that area. If you guys have any leads I would be extremely grateful! I have done it out here where the standards are usually higher for coming up on 14yrs I'm selling my house and with the stupid prices out here with everyone moving from LA and OC to where I'm at. I can make enough to buy a larger house with a lil bit of land with cash. Atm I'm planning on staying out here for probably half the year making enough to take care of the family for the rest of the year while home. This is only temporary so there is no gap in income and it will kill me to do it forever.

Thx for any opinions yall have.

P.S. I'm not bringing any comiforia views with me and as soon as I have time the smog laws out there will alow me to s280 the fist!

Keep the house and rent it. Best to have an income stream and a way to come back to CA if/when things change. I was born in CA and am very disappointed with how it has devolved, but I'm not giving up (yet).

Best of luck on whatever you choose to do!

OP
KnockOff

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
Traffic control on the freeway
Closing off and on ramps. Connectors. multiple lanes and full freeway closures

I think I was born in the wrong state. I have always been to redneck for out here.

Renting the house means I would have to finance another 1. Renters have more rights than home owners. I don't want to deal with the hassle. If it all falls apart I'll sell the new house and buy out here again after the market shift.

It looks like I can buy twice the size of what I live in now with 4 to 10 acres with cash and have up to 80k leftover. I would like to raise my kids somewhere more free.

Thx for all the replies guys!

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I personally love this state. The cost of housing and the State government not so much.
Though I am definitely not a redneck. :LOL: Things do need to be fixed but I just can’t see anywhere else reaching what I get here and that is the rub. The weather, the things to do. Sure Chicago but ug the weather. Goes for a lot of the cities I would consider. I am not a country person. I would go nuts in the country. The country is where I go when I want to get away not where I want to live.
I get it though you have kids and kids are expensive and even more so here. I do not think they are any less free though. Especially out where you live now. :LOL: Nothing personal but Menifee IMO does not rank high on destination spots. Its not even at Temecula levels. Ya its better than Moreno Valley( thats not hard) or Fontucky.

Oh and Ya Kansas and Missouri have Cities but they are fricken flat. Hope you are ready for that. No Canyon driving you gonna be doing roll racing now. :ROFLMAO:

ronmcdon

yeah I get it, your $$ would go a lot further in the midwest. probably makes even states like NV, AZ, OR, ID seem affordable by comparison.

1 MILLION DOLLARS in phx or vegas can get you something fancy but not quite mansion. In LA it gets you a mud-hut with less than 1k sq feet with no garage in dumpy part of town like Vernon. If you built the house out of dried dung it would be more sturdy.

what is scary isnt just what it is today, but how expensive ite gotten in past few years.

If i were super rich like M-Sport would def stay but its out of my price range.

it is actually super fun to look at different states and going on Zillow or Redfin one can lose days obsessively looking at real estate. In Southern CA forget about it. 10 mins is enough to drive one into deep despair and self loathing

Dpro

6000 Post Club
yeah I get it, your $$ would go a lot further in the midwest. probably makes even states like NV, AZ, OR, ID seem affordable by comparison.

1 MILLION DOLLARS in phx or vegas can get you something fancy but not quite mansion. In LA it gets you a mud-hut with less than 1k sq feet with no garage in dumpy part of town like Vernon. If you built the house out of dried dung it would be more sturdy.

what is scary isnt just what it is today, but how expensive ite gotten in past few years.

If i were super rich like M-Sport would def stay but its out of my price range.

it is actually super fun to look at different states and going on Zillow or Redfin one can lose days obsessively looking at real estate. In Southern CA forget about it. 10 mins is enough to drive one into deep despair and self loathing
It’s quite that bad ron, :LOL: seriously 1 million will get you a decent house here. In a fairly nice neighborhood too. I know I have been house shopping. Its just the 1 million house really should be around 5-600k maybe 750k In fact 1 million is the tipping point where you start hitting the nicer places . Though its crazy when you know how these places used to sell for like I do. I am like damn I should have bought x years ago. No one knew it would get this silly but its nothing like the Bay Area thats on a whole other level.

P.S. Houses in Vernon are like 500k max
Hell you could get a nice house in Monterey Park or Alhambra for $800k . Now the big thing is do you want to pay? When one realizes there 1 million will get the a 1400-1500sq ft house but somewhere else it would be 3000sq ft. and the 1400sq ft place would be like 300-400k. Except weather you just cannot get the mild climate we have pretty much anyplace else. You can get close but at the sacrifice of amenities that if you live in the LA region you have probably grown accustom too.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
I don't think we have enough freeways to have a job specifically for traffic control that way. When that kind of stuff gets done, it's either by the highway department or the construction company if there is road construction going on. That said, Kansas City has been and still is undergoing a lot of road building for the growth in the south.

There is this job posting:
Team Director - Traffic and ITS Engineering

https://g.co/kgs/ANkmLS

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Check out Carmel, Indiana if you're open to other places. It's literally pleasantville here. If you can handle the winters, not many better places to live.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
If you’re good with controls you could consider joining the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) in the area you move to. They got locals in all major cities.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
If I were super rich like M-Sport would def stay but its out of my price range.
[histerical] [histerical] [histerical]

I am going to take for granted that this is abject SNARK, even without the /s included.

But, just for the record, the area where I live is pig filthy wealthy, but I personally at this point could not afford to BUY that proverbial dung hut here, or even in peckerwoodsville. [wink] LOL

ronmcdon

haha yes sorry couldn't resist. scary how things become so pricey in the past decade. I imagine you with a mountain of A052 tyes in your back yard! Just trying to poke fun :)

DPR0 - yeah they're listed for a million or whatever price they're at through zillow but what I've seen from many I know who've purchased property this year and the last is that last year if you were lucky you'd pay asking price. This year what starts at 1 mil often times gets bid to 1.2. Agreed its too maybe 50% too much.

I think even last year same time things were overpriced but still okayish. Sometime between late last year to to early this year there was a drastic shift in demand and pricing.

Socal was ideal in the 90s and even 00s were nice but its very different today. Norcal not that bad if you can move to maybe Sacramento but that's nowhere near the culture one gets in Socal.

I like Vegas bc it's the state still closest to CA, access to CA tracks still doable. Think it's 5 hours to Buttonwillow from Vegas. The drop in property and state income tax welcome. Restaurants are great, I can go to Robuchon, Guy Savoy and Pierre Gagnaire every month. There are no draconian and barbaric bar curfews.

If I don't like it after a year or two, would have built some equity and likely can rent out the property.

Last edited:

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I wouldn't mind moving to one of the better parts of Florida, but unfortunately, no Kaiser Permanente there. Houses in my hood are going for $200,000 - $400,000 OVER the asking price! I only have 1,000 sq ft but is close to $1.2 million!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
haha yes sorry couldn't resist. scary how things become so pricey in the past decade. I imagine you with a mountain of A052 tyes in your back yard! Just trying to poke fun :)
A small, 2 bedroom townhouse around here will fetch $500K, plus a $450/month maintenance fee.
Uncontrolled rent for a one bedroom apartment (IF one could even be found!) with no storage at all, will get up to $3000/month.

The co$t of the 'gentleman farms', or estates, would embarrass even the most high zoot areas of Cali, or outside of NYC (or any big city).

Even the 'McMansions' start at about 3 million.