Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

MP215 vs B1 package?

Hey folks,

I tried searching the forum but haven't found the answer yet. Does anyone know what is the difference between the following two in terms of the tune it comes with:

* https://www.mountuneusa.com/Fiesta-St-Mp215-Performance-Upgrade-p/2364-215-aa.htm
* https://www.mountuneusa.com/Cobb-V3-Accessport-Ecu-Flasher-Fiesta-St-B1-p/ap3-fst-001b1.htm

The price difference is substantial. Is the tune actually different or do they just change extra money for warranty-friendly package? The quoted torque numbers seem to be different, but it's hard to say conclusively...

Cheers,

Dpro

6000 Post Club
If you buy the B1 package you get a AP that is open and you can load tunes from any tuner. If you get the MP215 you get a locked AP that will not load any other tunes except Mountunes.
Also Randy their tuner no longer works there so I would contact them and ask about the open tune they offer on the B1.
You are probably better off buying a AP and tune off Dizzy or Adam at Tuneplus as they come with their tunes and they let you datalog and get revisions.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
The MP215 tune also comes with the upgraded air box with a secondary cold air feed, so you do get that. I got that tune because I wanted to preserve my warranty, but I also figured that if it does that it also would preserve the long-term reliability of the car, which was probably even more important to me.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
When I was researching the MP215 tune, I found this discussion of it from Randy, who was at Mountune at that time and doing their custom tuning, comparing the two-

Do you know how difficult it is to have a calibration industrialized and approved by Ford- a monumental task. Having the former powertrain engineering manager for Aston and Ford RS working for us is no small thing. I was blown away with the MP215 calibration . It caused me to rethink my custom FiST work. It’s that good. Every time I drive our shop FiST with the MP215 I'm impressed by the punchiness and not just at WOT. The car is VERY responsive at part throttle. Feels amazing IMHO.

This quote is pulled together from a couple posts on this thread-
https://www.fiestast.net/threads/mountune-mp215-or-cobb-stage-2.1948/page-4#post-36464

Last edited:

dhminer

2000 Post Club
When I was researching the MP215 tune, I found this discussion of it from Randy, who was at Mountune at that time and doing their custom tuning, comparing the two-

Do you know how difficult it is to have a calibration industrialized and approved by Ford- a monumental task. Having the former powertrain engineering manager for Aston and Ford RS working for us is no small thing. I was blown away with the MP215 calibration . It caused me to rethink my custom FiST work. It’s that good. Every time I drive our shop FiST with the MP215 I'm impressed by the punchiness and not just at WOT. The car is VERY responsive at part throttle. Feels amazing IMHO.

This quote is pulled together from a couple posts on this thread-
https://www.fiestast.net/threads/mountune-mp215-or-cobb-stage-2.1948/page-4#post-36464
I ran MP215 for years. It’s excellent.

My car had the MP215 when I bought it. No complaints other than slower speed part throttle was a little too jumpy. Much happier with a dual Dizzy 93/e40 tune. Which of course you can’t do with the programmer included with the MP215.

OP
foodtruck
Thread Starter #8
Thanks for feedback, everyone. I'll probably email Mountune to double check what's the difference between the two. BTW, what fuel do/did you run on your MP214, 91 or 93? I'm leaning towards 91 cause I'm not entirely sure I'll always be able to find it...

I was also looking at Tunewerks and their AP/tune package and its about the same price as MP215 except with unlocked AP, so seeing how the same person worked on both, now I'm kind of wondering how close would their conservative tune be to MP215 :unsure:...

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thanks for feedback, everyone. I'll probably email Mountune to double check what's the difference between the two. BTW, what fuel do/did you run on your MP214, 91 or 93? I'm leaning towards 91 cause I'm not entirely sure I'll always be able to find it...

I was also looking at Tunewerks and their AP/tune package and its about the same price as MP215 except with unlocked AP, so seeing how the same person worked on both, now I'm kind of wondering how close would their conservative tune be to MP215 :unsure:...
I would definitely talk to them. A custom tune with datalogging is a great deal.

Mikey456

I did some research on the MP215 and the 1st 2 gears are boost limited like stock. I like that feature (for traction) Aftermarket tunes generally remove this feature but you can add it back as an option. I have a 2017 and live in Cali so I am hesitant to buy the MP215 especially if you have to find a dealer to “unlock” the tune to get a “code” serviced.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I did some research on the MP215 and the 1st 2 gears are boost limited like stock. I like that feature (for traction) Aftermarket tunes generally remove this feature but you can add it back as an option. I have a 2017 and live in Cali so I am hesitant to buy the MP215 especially if you have to find a dealer to “unlock” the tune to get a “code” serviced.
Ya you are out of the Ballpark for the MP215 already due to owning a 2017 its the same way I was when I bought my 2018. I went with Mountune’s FB3 package only because I got the Mountune Intake which is pretty much a ST200 intake, RMM, Open AP with custom tune and Intercooler all for just under $1100. It was a deal at the time.
That deal is hard to get today and there are a lot of very affordable intercooler options . Putting it all together a RMM $86 for a Whoosh, Intercooler $199- $399 Whoosh V1 or V3 AP with custome tune $500 max directly from a tuner ST200 Airbox $249 your in the same ballpark. With a couple of better options.

Tunewerks is cool because its Randy but his custom tunes are a bit pricey compared to some of the other tuners out there. I have an unlimited tune from Tuneplus for my S280 and it was only $350 and I got say Adam really knows his tuning of these cars. Not knocking Randy just pointing out when it comes to aftermarket custom tunes he is not the only game in town Keep yourself open to checking out all the options and making a studied decision.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
The only reason to go MP215 is warranty. It was great but dizzy stage 2 I’m on now is way better. Just get the intake you like best and a tune from tunewerks, dizzy, tune+ or stratified. There are countless examples on this forum to support the fact that they all do excellent work.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
The only reason to go MP215 is warranty. It was great but dizzy stage 2 I’m on now is way better. Just get the intake you like best and a tune from tunewerks, dizzy, tune+ or stratified. There are countless examples on this forum to support the fact that they all do excellent work.
Yup. They all know what they're doing, and good custom tuning is what satisfies.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Except now it does not matter as that EO is certainly headed to end of life stage. Plus it was warranty only on 2014 to 2016 and in Fact was not Ford Warranty but Ford Performance warranty and they have all but disco’d almost all FiST Performance products themselves.

At this stage of the game with our cars its kinda of a no warranty thing . Unless you bought car from someone who had the MP215. Have fun buying a used 2015 taking it to a dealer and saying install this Mountune MP215 for me so it can be Ford Performance Warranty. Yes the install needs to be documented to activate the warranty.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Except now it does not matter as that EO is certainly headed to end of life stage. Plus it was warranty only on 2014 to 2016 and in Fact was not Ford Warranty but Ford Performance warranty and they have all but disco’d almost all FiST Performance products themselves.

At this stage of the game with our cars its kinda of a no warranty thing . Unless you bought car from someone who had the MP215. Have fun buying a used 2015 taking it to a dealer and saying install this Mountune MP215 for me so it can be Ford Performance Warranty. Yes the install needs to be documented to activate the warranty.
Absolutely correct sir. The Ford dealership that installed the MP215 had no fkn clue what they were doing. I helped them do it. Had to show them the Ford performance documentation for them to even believe me and accept my request to do the work! This was when you had to have a Ford dealership do it not just an ASE certified tech. Activating the warranty wasn’t fun either. It also only applied to the 3/36 warranty not extended. Like I said earlier - the tune was great. I had it for the entirety of my fiesta’s life as my DD. Don’t regret running it a bit. Could floor the gas in every gear in wet or dry and not light up the traction control.

With the warranty thing being a goner, I wouldn’t go that route if I was presented with the same scenario today. I’d get the stage 1+ power pack from stratified instead if I wanted something comparable in a “one stop” for that introductory power upgrade.

OP
foodtruck
Thread Starter #16
Last question is for folks with MP215, did you find it reduces rev hang / shift assist when shifting 1>2? I guess my issue is not that it's even there but that it's... unpredictable. Like, depending on how aggressive/constant I am with the throttle taking off and how quickly i take the foot off the pedal, the way the revs come down can vary drastically.. Did you find that improved in any way after installing it?

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Last question is for folks with MP215, did you find it reduces rev hang / shift assist when shifting 1>2? I guess my issue is not that it's even there but that it's... unpredictable. Like, depending on how aggressive/constant I am with the throttle taking off and how quickly i take the foot off the pedal, the way the revs come down can vary drastically.. Did you find that improved in any way after installing it?
I did not notice any difference in that, although I will say it's something that I am not super conscious of.

OP
foodtruck
Thread Starter #18
After some back and forth, according to Mountune, the charts for MP215 and their separate tune they sell are accurate, i.e. separate tune has distinctly more torque at low RPMs but dies down earlier than MP215, which is the opposite of what I'm looking for. Seems the only way to get MP215 tune is with... MP215 kit.

At this point I'm looking at Dizzy stage 1, since it looks like the most linear out of the bunch and seems to go on until the cutoff, at least according to the charts. If anyone has graduated from MP215 to that one, would be interested to hear how they compare.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
After some back and forth, according to Mountune, the charts for MP215 and their separate tune they sell are accurate, i.e. separate tune has distinctly more torque at low RPMs but dies down earlier than MP215, which is the opposite of what I'm looking for. Seems the only way to get MP215 tune is with... MP215 kit.

At this point I'm looking at Dizzy stage 1, since it looks like the most linear out of the bunch and seems to go on until the cutoff, at least according to the charts. If anyone has graduated from MP215 to that one, would be interested to hear how they compare.
I went from MP215 to Dizzy stage 2. Can't speak for stage 1, but stage 2 is a torque monster. It's a blast but will break traction so quickly. MP215 I never had to worry at all about breaking traction, just mash the gas and go. Again, not sure how much difference there is between 1 & 2 so take that FWIW.

I went from MP215 to Dizzy stage 2. Can't speak for stage 1, but stage 2 is a torque monster. It's a blast but will break traction so quickly. MP215 I never had to worry at all about breaking traction, just mash the gas and go. Again, not sure how much difference there is between 1 & 2 so take that FWIW.
So, are you saying you preferred MP215 over the Dizzy 2?