Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

My turn for a thread on overheating.

For power performance I basically just have a whoosh V2 Intercooler and accessport with dizzy tune. For the first time this past saturday I was doing suburban driving in 90 degree weather and got on it hard a few times in a 10 minute span. The car goes from totally normal 190-210 and just spikes to 240-250 with all bars lit up. I stopped and let it cool down and then it was fine the rest of the day, I was also a little easier after that. Then the next day I was driving on the highway in 70 degree weather at stable 80 mph and temps were 190 until all of a sudden again it spikes to 250 and beeps etc.

I limp home and read some threads on here and do some looking around the engine. The coolant was a little above the low line, so I added water to the high line and will watch this. I also traced the coolant overflow line from the tank to the back of the motor and checked all the clamps. The clamp to the motor was loose and I could pull it around freely. I tried to get a worm gear one on, but ran out of time as it's a tight area so I just jammed the OEM on back on as best I could. There was no sign of a leak from this area but it's still concerning.

Things I'm considering:
1) add water wetter
2) replace and upgrade the clamp on the back
3) pressure test the system
4) maybe upgrade the radiator, but I don't think that's worth the money for my needs.

I'll report back here on what happens next, but welcome your thoughts.

Last edited:

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I hate to say this but when you have a instant heat spike like that it concerns me with a blown/ cracked head.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Jerickson88

This scares the crap out of me. Has Ford addressed this outside of warranty coverage?

Well, I guess that's the 3yr/36k bumper to bumper, but we also have a 5yr/60k powertrain that covers it correct?

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
What year is your FiST?

2017 Magnetic FiST w/Recaros

SrsBsns

I have a '15 and I had the same problem after doing some hard mountain driving. My coolant temps spiked from dead center on the idiot gauge, to all the way maxed out. Car went into limp mode.

I had it towed to the dealer thinking that it may have overheated and done some damage, but the dealership did their chemical test to determine if any damage was done and it came back negative.

They replaced the hose that runs from the coolant reservoir to the back of the block as that had somehow "gone bad." That's about the best explanation I could get from them.

From what I understand, if you have an early year build '15, this is covered under the Ford recall. However, mine was not covered under the recall as I have a later build date. Additionally, it was not covered under warranty as it is a rubber hose and not a mechanical or driveline part. Had my motor blown, I would have been SOL.

Because of this, I haven't gone back to do any real spirited driving and I want to wait until I upgrade to the larger radiator. It's stupid to have to spend that much money to upgrade a system, for the sole reason that it's so inadequate in stock form.

I would highly recommend that you replace that hose. I'd recommend water wetter as well, but that's not going to make a difference if that hose is leaking or failing.

OP
theblue
Thread Starter #6
guys, all my info and links are in my sig. but in case that's turned off, it's an 2018.

@SrsBsns your scenario sounds very much like mine. and the fact my hose from back of block was not really secured on the back also matches what you are saying. I take it once they replaced that for you it never happened again? I'm going to properly secure it and see what happens. thanks.

SrsBsns

guys, all my info and links are in my sig. but in case that's turned off, it's an 2018.

@SrsBsns your scenario sounds very much like mine. and the fact my hose from back of block was not really secured on the back also matches what you are saying. I take it once they replaced that for you it never happened again? I'm going to properly secure it and see what happens. thanks.
Yeah, knock on wood... Since the hose was replaced, I haven't had cooling issues. I'm also scared to go back to the mountains until I upgrade the radiator. I've done a few pulls, but I've been driving pretty soft since overheating. I'm also watching my temps on the AP and the dash when I'm stuck in traffic with the AC going.

OP
theblue
Thread Starter #8
I find it extremely unlikely that a spike like this was radiator not doing it's job. that would be a more gradual climb and not a sudden spike. Also I suspect a sudden release of pressure like this like line leaking would make it spike.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I did have the same thing happen to me when I was doing an afternoon Lil Tujunga Canyon run. I accidently left my air on as it was 85 at the bottom . When I just passed the crest I got the all bars spike and warning light. I was not monitoring on my AP at the time. I pulled over and turned off the air and let the engine cool then drove down the other side with less spirit. Lol 2018 by the way.
I have not seen any spikes since. Of course most of the canyon stuff is done in the morning during the summer anyways as it gets so fricken hot here in the mid day.
My Mountune radiator is actually going in the next day or so.

Has anyone here tried "Engine Ice" coolant. I have used it in motorcycle applications with great success. Typically at least 10C cooler. When you are dealing with such a small coolant capacity of 6-1/2 qts, every little bit helps.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Since most do not wish to use your AC when doing track or spirited driving (I leave mine on).
Why not trigger the high speed to run by a switch?
This would also be good for a cool down cycle.

OP
theblue
Thread Starter #12
Has anyone here tried "Engine Ice" coolant. I have used it in motorcycle applications with great success. Typically at least 10C cooler. When you are dealing with such a small coolant capacity of 6-1/2 qts, every little bit helps.
sounds like another brand of water wetter.

OP
theblue
Thread Starter #13
Since most do not wish to use your AC when doing track or spirited driving (I leave mine on).
I mean once you are moving above like 45 mph the fans don't really do anything. I used to run my endurance race car without any fans at all, only installed one later for when in the pits or under yellow flag. on canyon roads etc I can see this helping.

OP
theblue
Thread Starter #15
I'm not familiar with Water Wetter. I have used Engine Ice, but only in my motorcycle which used to overheat in traffic. It's pretty expensive.
check it out, sounds like you are using an expensive version with probably the same active ingredients.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I thought the owner's manual specifically said not to run a product like Water Wetter?
I might be thinking of the Fiat manual but I swear it was in there somewhere. Mine's not immediately on-hand or I'd check.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I thought the owner's manual specifically said not to run a product like Water Wetter?
I could not find this.
However, I did find this in the owner's manual,

"If you drive in extremely hot climates: • It may be necessary to have a Ford authorized dealer decrease the coolant concentration to 40%. • A coolant concentration of 40% will provide improved overheat protection. Engine coolant concentrations below 40% will decrease the corrosion/freeze protection characteristics of the engine coolant and may cause engine damage. Vehicles driven year-round in non-extreme climates should use prediluted engine coolant for optimum cooling system and engine protection."

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I could not find this.
However, I did find this in the owner's manual,

"If you drive in extremely hot climates: • It may be necessary to have a Ford authorized dealer decrease the coolant concentration to 40%. • A coolant concentration of 40% will provide improved overheat protection. Engine coolant concentrations below 40% will decrease the corrosion/freeze protection characteristics of the engine coolant and may cause engine damage. Vehicles driven year-round in non-extreme climates should use prediluted engine coolant for optimum cooling system and engine protection."
I think it was in the Fiat one because the Fiat used OAT coolant that wasn't compatible with coolant additives.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^THIS is what we need as a pre-wired KIT, instead of yet another version of a RMM, intercooler, shift knob, short shifter, etc.!! [wink]

VENDORS; are you listening?!?

And yes, my car runs at least 15*F cooler with the AC on because of the high speed fan, so when it was 95*F+ on the stage roads up in Maine/N.H. this past weekend, I just left my windows closed (the dust is unfathomable/blinding on those logging roads up thar anyway!), and the car did just fine! [:)]